back to article Danish telcos hang up on merger plans after EU pressure

Telenor and TeliaSonera have abandoned their merger plans following pressure from the European Commission. In an official statement on Friday, the pair called off the deal as they were unable to meet the Brussels competition watchdog’s demands. The Commish opened an in-depth investigation into the deal in April. “The merger …

1. Donchik

Yeah! First to comment, shame I couldn't give a toss either way.

They'll still charge the earth for no connection, have contracts that are legally binding on the consumer, but revisable upward weekly by the operators, and charge both arms, and three legs to roam to the isle of man.

2. Oli 1

fairly interested as to how the 02/3 deal will work out, as far as i can tell the networks are non-compatible currently?

Three has great internet but expensive calls

o2 has cheaper calls but the infra is awful and barely works most of the time.

Combine the two, shit internet and expensive calls i imagine will be favored over cheap calls and fast working internet.

1. Captain Queeg

Sky

If Europe block the deal who'd bet against Sky snapping up O2? Maybe they'd do it right? O2 wifi and Cloud combined would be a big enough footprint, and sky's fibre to do the back haul on cellular.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like