back to article Plan to shift internet's control panel away from US government gets tentative thumbs-up

The plan to shift control of the top level of the internet away from the US government to domain name overseer ICANN has been given a tentative thumbs-up by the internet community. A public comment period on the proposal for the IANA functions contract closed earlier this week with 159 submissions received. Just under half the …

1. john devoy

seems a bit unlikely

Why on earth would the USA give up control of the internets main DNS servers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: seems a bit unlikely

I've always felt that this is somewhat a reaction to the President having an off switch to the Internet. [Acually you'd only have DNS fall over....]

2. Phuq Witt

Will this proposal...

...do anything to stop the FBI [& similar] from being able to seize domain names on the generic TLDs, which have been registered by folks/organisations outside the US?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ICANN survey forthcoming

I had to get an enterprise OID allocated by IANA for a company I am working for earlier this year; yesterday I received an e-mail from ICANN saying that I would be contacted next week for a "customer satisfaction" survey. Given the problems I had getting the OID, I am probably not the best person they should be asking in an attempt to justify their continued monopoly.

4. vogon00

Best way forward...?

Fuck ICANN, bring back Jon Postel...

5. Cincinnataroo

I see a bad moon rising

What a choice. US government versus ICANN. The Internet may be in for rough times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like