back to article Struggling AMD re-orgs graphics groups as Radeon Technologies

AMD has done a rethink of how it approaches graphics chips and has reorganized its various visual computing groups into a new, unified division called Radeon Technologies. Leading the new group as its senior VP and chief architect is Raja Koduri, who until recently served as AMD's VP of visual computing – one of several execs …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A shit company and no wonder it's sinking.

It could show some effort in supporting HD4xxx for W10 because Nvidia can support it for 8xxx which is a GPU that is three years older.

Never again will AMD see a cent of my cash.

1. Nate Amsden

I remember lusting after ATI in the mid 90s. Though ended up with Number Nine cards. Switched to Nvidia about 1999 and never considered anything but them since. Very satisfied customer after 16 years(mostly linux). Though I've never been on 5he bleeding edge ot close to it.

I keep seeing people gripe about their drivers and stuff but in my experience they have always been very solid.

I have one ATI video chip(integrated, only one pci slot used by 3ware card) on a small Athlon desktop. It basically acts as a screen saver. It works fine, though for anything serious, nothing but nvidia for me.

The number of negative experiences I've seen on ATI drivers vs nvidia seems to be a 30:1 ratio(against ATI).

Also sad AMD abandoned all hope on their high end x86 years ago.

Written from my phone so excuse typos

2. Sotorro
      Stop

nVidia is not everything either.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/543305/screen-video-tearing-gtx6xx-7xx-kepler-9xx-maxwell-in-almost-all-applications-including-desktop/

All the Kepler GPU's from nVidia have frame tearing in video, I was shocked when I saw it after I bought my new card. The whole Geforce 6xx till 9xx line has this frame tearing problem, and nVidia has said it's a design flaw that can not be fixed.

So my next card will be a GPU that is actually able to show normal video + play games, so it well be a Radeon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: nVidia is not everything either.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/543305/screen-video-tearing-gtx6xx-7xx-kepler-9xx-maxwell-in-almost-all-applications-including-desktop/

All the Kepler GPU's from nVidia have frame tearing in video, I was shocked when I saw it after I bought my new card. The whole Geforce 6xx till 9xx line has this frame tearing problem, and nVidia has said it's a design flaw that can not be fixed.

I've never had a tearing issue with the GXT750ti on Linux, Google AMD tearing and you'll get a huge amount of hits.

3. lightknightrr

Indeed

They won't support your older card, and they're having trouble supporting their newer stuff (Radeon HD 8850M), at least in the Linux Mint world (http://i.imgur.com/vFQZIf2.png). A gold star to the person who knows what scene is supposed to be rendered in that PNG.

4. Gordan

"It could show some effort in supporting HD4xxx for W10 because Nvidia can support it for 8xxx which is a GPU that is three years older."

They also never released XP/2K3 drivers for R9 290X, even though the product was released many months before XP was EOL and over a year before 2K3 was EOL. Nvidia, OTOH, had XP drivers for all of their bleeding edge GPUs.

Having said that, I thought Vista/7/8/10 all used the same driver model, so can you not use, say, Windows 7 drivers on Windows 10 for the HD4xxx?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Gordon

Having said that, I thought Vista/7/8/10 all used the same driver model, so can you not use, say, Windows 7 drivers on Windows 10 for the HD4xxx?

Most likely run into unexpected consequences and instabilities. If Intel can chuck out a W10 driver for the GMA3100 it just serves to show AMD don't give a shit about long term customer support. I've a HP probook 6450b which was released in 2010 with a HD4xxx, AMD dropped HD4XXX support for W8.1 (there is a w8.0 driver) which is support for only just over 2 years - that's an utterly crap support cycle. Nvidia give you 10 years.

1. Gordan

"Most likely run into unexpected consequences and instabilities."

Given the quality and stability of their drivers at the best of times, how would you distinguish this from normal operation?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gratz Hector Ruiz

Boy that ATI merger is the gift that keeps on giving huh? Not quite an HP sized fsckup but not far behind.

3. Medixstiff

I was seriously ticked off when AMD bought ATI.

I had used NVidia cards, 3DFX cars, Hercules cards but after always having issues with NVidia drivers causing issues, I've since always used ATI cards.

So I was a little ticked off when AMD bought them as AMD to me did produce some good CPU's early on but always seemed to get ahead of Intel, then wrest on their laurel's.

Also if the old grey matter serves me right, wasn't there a court case between NVidia and ATI whereby M$ BSOD results showed NVidia drivers were the cause of something like 60% of reports?

4. Fading

A lot of hate for ATI

Yet for desktop GPUs (since my humble 2400XT) I've never had a problem with drivers for windows. Linux has always suffered a bit though one generation behind the latest cards have always been fine - (I've had in various builds with HD3450, 4550, 5550, 5870, 6570, 7750 and R9 270)

Red screened on win 8 with beta drivers but never had a problem with the latest builds. All the above cards are still being used in various machines amongst friends and family members (not a single hardware failure yet - mixture of brands though the majority are Sapphire).

The laptops I've had recently have been NVidia (525M and 660M) so I'm not a rabid fan-boi.

5. phil dude
    Meh

but....

AMD is *so* much cheaper than Intel....

It is just a shame they haven't got the software sorted out...

Without competition from AMD, Intel and Nvidia get to charge what they like, and dribble out innovation...

P.

6. LemmingO

What now, AMD?

This sounds eerily like AMD is splitting the company back into CPU and GPU, with the GPU assets being the most appetizing to sell off when all else fails... I do not see this as a simple restructuring, or rebranding like Nvidia/Geforce.

This rings a few alarm bells

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like