back to article Stealth service – Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Whether fearing negative reviews, spoilers, or to wrestle back some control on reports of how much Hideo Kojima's name appears in the game, getting a copy of The Phantom Pain to review before it shipped was akin to striking black gold in the American West. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Keeping an eye out Thankfully …

1. Stephen 1

Caution left handers

Pretty good game, but another one that suffers on the PC because of a poor console port. This is beginning to get a little tiresome but at least in this case the graphics are fine.

My main bugbear comes from being left handed. You can't map a lot of keys, including the numpad or most of the non-alpha numeric keys (including insert/delete/home/end/return etc). Although you can at least map the arrow keys.

You can't map most of the interaction screen keys at all, you are stuck with it.

So left handers will probably need a gaming mouse with extra buttons you can set up, which just about makes it playable.

1. Banksy

Re: Caution left handers

Use a controller?

1. Lionel Baden

Re: Caution left handers

@banksy

Use a controller Gawd, I can't for one. But then again I find mouse and KB much more accurate, would love to see controller users VS M&KB users in a tournament :)

Its not hard to point input keys to a input.cfg.

2. Paul Westerman
    Stop

No problem

I'm a lefty, I just move the keyboard to the right and use WASD while my left hand does the mouse. I can't be bothered with all that reconfiguring. Seems OK, I've completed Bioshock Infinite in 1999 Mode, Spec Ops:The Line in FUBAR mode, etc. But I'm just showing off now :D

3. drand
    Headmaster

Tactical manœuvres

Have a well done for a stealthily employed dipthong.

On the subject of the game, I'm so glad to see positive reviews and it just might make me part with some cash for a next-gen console*. Though it is a shame to a conspicuously-chested and under-attired female in one of the screenshots.

* or suitable PC if you lean that way. Wouldn't want that argument to break out again.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Tactical manœuvres

Quiet, now.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Unhappy

micro-transactions

Good bye any interest I might have had in playing this game.

1. K

Re: micro-transactions

Must admit i've not seen anything micro-transaction based on the PC... also its probably the best games i have seen in a very long time.

My only gripe in the repetitiveness of Afghanistan... also I loved the narrative of previous MGS's.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS4 version always seems to be the versions developers send for review

That says it all really. Another in a long list of plays best on PS4 titles.

6. Little Mouse
    Devil

Before I commit any cash on this...

Is Raiden in it?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Before I commit any cash on this...

I hear no.

But the mystery of the MSX data tape easter egg deepens.

7. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Climbing up the walls

Minor bugbear. Snake, being the uberest soldier in the known universe (sorry Master Chief) can't do chin-ups. Well, he can on some walls/bars. Otherwise this suffers the usual problem in 'open world' games of our hero being unable to walk up some inclines or climb onto a ledge below head height. Snake's been around a while so maybe it's the arthritis. The hyper-Helium is impressive in the way a small balloon can lift a large tank though..

8. tylerzmcd

What?

For starters, The Phantom Pain is indeed one of the most refined stealth games ever made. However, I have a bone to pick with a few of the statements made in the article.

"Whether fearing negative reviews, spoilers, or to wrestle back some control on reports of how much Hideo Kojima's name appears in the game, getting a copy of The Phantom Pain to review before it shipped was akin to striking black gold in the American West."

With regards to reviews, most major publications were allowed to release reviews more than a week before the game was released. This is extremely uncommon for AAA titles and shows a great deal of confidence in the product itself. If you had a hard time getting a copy to review, then I suppose a certain degree of trust in the gaming industry has not been attained.

Neither his name nor his production company (which developed the title) is anywhere listed on the box art of the game. Yes, Kojima-san is plastered all over the in-game credits, but this has always been the case for every title since 1998. Not worth reporting.

"Director Hideo Kojima toys with the player initially, offering up a heavily narrative-based, claustrophobic intro that sets certain plot lines into motion. However, this almost on-rails section has little in common with what you'll spend the majority of your time doing in The Phantom Pain."

Again, heavy narrative has been a staple of the series since 1998. This section of the game was previewed in 2012 at the Spike TV Awards. 9 years had gone by since Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. I'd say taking the time to explain the story a little is not just appropriate, but necessary.

I didn't want to be all melodramatic, but this series has that affect on people. This isn't Call of Duty. If heavy narrative and avant-garde directing aren't your thing, then Metal Gear simply isn't your cup of tea. The fact you enjoyed it is a testament to how playable the new mechanics are.

9. FozzyBear
    Happy

Snake, Snake Plissken

I thought he was dead!

10. Busby

Picked this up yesterday after work for the Xboxone. First game in a long time that I have paid launch price for I usually don't pick anything up till it's at least below £20.

First impressions are that the reviews aren't over the top, really does seem like one of the best games I've played in a lot of years however I've barely scratched the surface so may change opinion after a week or two.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't get used to the 3rd person thingy

I've tried many 3rd person perspective games in the past, including the prequel to this one, but the 3rd person stuff just doesn't work for me. I simply find the perspective too awkward. Shame, because it looks like a lot of effort went into making this one.

As for the über-soldier bit...there can be only one...and that is Herr William Joseph Blaskowicz.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phantom Cigar

like one of them e-ciggies, running off piss vapour?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never mind all that

JUST TELL US WHAT YOU DID WITH THE GAL!!!

14. BenBell
    Thumb Up

Damnit!

..and just when I thought the PS1/PS2 were boxed up for good... I see this article and am reminded of a well spent youth. I can feel a few sick days coming on.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Phantom Pain

Who comes up with these sub-hard-boiled, wannabe-portentious but ultimately silly names for video games? It's reminiscent of the stupidly-titled "Max Payne" series. Yeah, I know that was over a decade back, but it's such a stupid, schlocky, pun-but-take-me-seriously title, and "The Phantom Pain" is only marginally better.

Big-budget video game developers puff themselves up in a self-congratulatory manner, so obviously wanting to be taken as seriously as Hollywood (#) in terms of depth, emotional involvement, blah blah blah, then come out with drivel like this and dialogue spouted by uncanny valley mannequins.

The cinema grew up when it stopped trying to compare itself to the theatre, and was judged in its own right and on its own merits. Similarly it's my belief that this phase will ultimately be seen as a sign of video games' adolescence. It's past the childhood "Space Invaders" phase, but the over-willingness to congratulate itself on having grown past that and compare itself to the more mature artform ultimately betrays the not-as-grown-up-as-you-think-yet-kid attitude of a teenager.

(#) Not that present-day Hollywood really deserves to be taken that seriously

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon