back to article Obi: These ARE the 'droids you're looking for

Former Apple CEO John Sculley is to launch a pair of Android phones. The SF1 and SJ1.5 are mid-range and low-end devices respectively from the company Obi Worldphone. "Obi has taken the best of Silicon Valley – innovations in design, state-of-the-art technology and high standards for manufacturing – and fused them into …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can take the man out of Marketing...

"...empowering tools that help our customers achieve their aspirations."

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read that.

It's just a phone, John. Get over your bad self.

1. jgarry

Re: You can take the man out of Marketing...

Well, since throwing up in your mouth is gastric aspiration, the man has succeeded.

2. Captain Scarlet
    Stop

with micro secure digital (SD) expansion

Just spat out tea, would have thought an ex Apple bod would be against expandable storage!

3. Preston Munchensonton

The limitations for LTE coverage aren't necessarily dire for world+dog (only Band 3 and 40, so YMMV), but there's no coverage for US networks on LTE. The market for this phone is really Africa, with scattered coverage outside those areas. Handy reference, care of Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Per the specs, 1800Mhz FDD and 2300Mhz TDD.

1. Charles 9

Well, that scratches LTE in the US for starters. Band III is locked in by the military, and band IV is the best one there (II and XVII are noted as alternates). Good US multi-band phones can tune into bands I and VII which keep options open abroad (I speak from experience).

PS. This talk of a unibody design smells of one that can't be opened, which means the battery can't be removed. That's gonna be a turn-off right there.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“designed in San Francisco”

Made in China.

Probably got a good rate on the slaves coming from Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slaves? Really?

I guess you own a phone forged by elves paid $1000/hr in spacious offices overlooking Central Park?

1. Midnight
  5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, two fights at once?

Is it just me, or do those devices have both rounded corners as well as square ones?

:)

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

might be interesting

to see the SF1 in head to head to head comparison with MotoG and Sony Xperia M4 Aqua.

7. Chris Clawson

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go for the Star Wars reference and call it the "Obi One".

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Available from

4th May.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would someone please

Would someone please just make a big boxy brick of a phone?

Bright screen, big battery, qwerty clamshell/slider. And an OS that isn't a bloated repurposed server platform from before you were born.

9. cortland
    WTF?

droid

MIspelling of "droyed". One who has been droyed has been treated like a robot.

[NB: still under review.]

10. captain semtex
    Thumb Up

Awesome...

You guys are on fire today with the headline puns!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like