back to article Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+: 4K-positive fun for ... vloggers?!

It's only a few months since Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, its latest attempts to make some money out of Android. They're pretty decent phones, as we concluded in our in-depth review. S6 edge and edge+ It seems barely larger than the S6 Edge (left), but the Edge+ (right) packs in a 5.7 inch screen On Thursday …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One shudders to think...

How expensive this one is actually going to be. And, if other recent Samsung attempts are an indication, how utterly crapware ridden...

2. Nigel Steward
    FAIL

No removable battery, No SD Card slot - NO DEAL !

I have had a Note 1, Note 2 & Note 3 - clearly I like the phablet format.

I decided to skip a generation & replace my Note 3 with a Note 5 or possibly S6 when announced rather than buy a Note 4. But no removable battery or SD slot in either means the Note 5 & S6 are not for me, or for many friends & colleagues.

Accordingly I have just signed up for a Note 4, and hope that Samsung will recognise the error of their ways & have a removable battery & SD card on the next generation of their phablets - if not then Samsung have lost my business.

NJSS

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Galaxy Note 5 in the UK

Why?

Aren't devices with a Stylus supposed to be the bees-knees?

I wonder what Samsung would do if Apple released a device with a Stylus next month?

1. Phil W

Re: No Galaxy Note 5 in the UK

Indeed, I have a Note 3 and my next upgrade would have been the Note 5. Now? I'll probably hang on to the 3 for quite a while longer.

2. James 51

Re: No Galaxy Note 5 in the UK

Indeed. My N900 is still one of my favourite phones and the stylus is a big part of that.

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Screen Resolution

Is it just me, or is a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 on a screen that size just overkill? That's better than I have on any of my >20" desktop monitors. On a phone (albeit a large-ish one) you could have lower resolution than that and (a) it'd still look fine, (b) consume less battery power.

Feature for feature's sake / spec. sheet willy-waving?

1. PleebSmash
      Go

Re: Screen Resolution

2560x1440 is practically the standard for high end smartphones. You'll be saying the same thing once they start trying to flog 4K resolution phones.

There's one good thing about high-res smartphones: strapping them to your face for VR.

Mid range phones have 720p and 1080p screens and might be to your taste.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Screen Resolution

It's a spec. I'd be interested in. Just a bit less vertical than my screens' resolution. Very close to WYSIWYG at both ends. Still, the Notes have the second requirement: a stylus. Storage and even voice, not even on the list. I already have storage well covered.

What makes me nervous is the cost. I do like this phone, but with the average life span of devices of this size slightly less than 4 months? Think that someone can put in ballistic Kevlar with a sticky outer surface?

5. Efros

We're losing market what are we going to do?

I know launch more expensive phones!

1. dotdavid

Re: We're losing market what are we going to do?

And all with confusingly-similar names! And just to spice things up we'll have incompatible international variants with different specs!

A recipe for success.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And an utterly shite operating system as well. Android is crap, touchwiz is just utterly dire.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

> Android is crap, touchwiz is just utterly dire.

With 4GB of RAM touchwiz should just about be perfomant. Have to agree with your comment on Android. Lollipop was a disappointment and that is ignoring the security issues. The OS seems to be on a devolution path from OK > adequate > uninspiring > OMG please give me a 1st world alternative. Google and the head up butt phone vendors at their finest.

2. Nigel Whitfield.

At those prices, I do wonder how many people will buy them up front, and I should imagine the contracts will be pretty hefty if you want a free one.

They had some 'vloggers' at the event. I think they must have been the ones that looked about twelve to me. Perhaps running your own YouTube channel is so lucrative these days that it'll pay for one of these.

But, sleek and nice though it is, for most of what ordinary people want to do, something like the Moto G or X will be sufficient, and hundreds of pounds cheaper.

6. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    WTF?

“Next is now has just got bigger”

Forget vacuous, what about just plain nonsensical?

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: “Next is now has just got bigger”

What with that, and bonkers colour descriptions such as "Black Sapphire" and "Gold Platinum" it's a wonder my eyes have actually stopped rolling. At least the bit were we were talked at was mercifully brief.

Honestly, you don't realise the suffering we have to endure when we attend these events...

7. VinceH

A spoon-shaped phone

That's a brilliant idea.

Where's the Kickstarter page so I can sign up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A spoon-shaped phone

Samsung: "Do not try and buy the spoon phone. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth."

Purchaser: "What truth?"

Samsung: "There is no spoon phone."

8. psychonaut

No sd card. No swapable battery

Sad, but i will be moving from samsung. Ive put up with the rear speakers, the non-waterproof and the crap speakerphone. But no sd card and no battery swap....forget it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No sd card. No swapable battery

I'm truly interested: do all you precious "no battery swap" luddites actually buy a second battery for each phone? How do you charge them? Do you actually have to buy a special charger?

I can't help feel you're all secret poster-bois for some particular brand of phone whose only differentiating feature now is a swappable battery and an SD slot, though I haven't a clue (and nor do I particularly care) what. Seriously, get a USB charger and feel the joy of thousands more milli-amp-hours, the convenience of not having to switch your phone off and fiddle about with batteries, easy recharging and the ability to charge other devices. Oh, and get a cheap data plan and forget about extra storage. It's not that big a step, but it really doesn't change your life that much, believe me.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

My approach for battery swapping (in a Samsung, as it happens)....

Bought phone with standard (swappable) battery. OK by smartphone standards, but I'd prefer something with more life

Bought 2 high-capacity batteries (made by Samsung), and replacement back for phone (slightly larger to accommodate high-capacity battery, but not a great embuggerance)

Run the phone on high-capacity battery on a daily basis for normal operation. Swap the batteries over every so often so that the wear-and-tear is reasonably even between them.

When going on a long trip sans convenient charging facilities, swap batteries and charge before leaving home so that I have a fully-charged battery in the phone, and a spare in my bag.

If running low on juice while travelling, it's quite easy to swap the fresh battery in

Works for me. YMMV

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: do all you precious "no battery swap" luddites

It will apparently come as a surprise to you, but some people keep their phone for more than three months. When you get into multi-year territory, the daily recharging (because forget about actually using a phone for more than 8 hours these days) and you will find, after two to three years, that your battery needs replacing.

That is why us luddites want to be able to replace the battery. We don't want a new phone, the one we have is good enough and we want to keep using it.

3. James 51

After I had my N900 for two years I bought a second battery. I'm about to buy a replacement battery for my Q10. It's not just about being able to put a fresh battery in and keep going. It's also about extending the usable life of the device. If the batteries were built in I'd have to buy a new phone after I've thrashed them to death.

4. fruitoftheloon
        FAIL

@AC (the dickhead) Re: No sd card. No swapable battery

AC,

Now take your time and I try to understand, it really isn't that complicated...

Re the SD card thing, some of us have LOTS of audio/video stuff on our devices, sometimes we may suspect that the internal storage on a new phone ain't going to last X months once a gazillion OS and app updates land, I mean what kind of idiot would buy a phone without wondering if it would run out of space before you choose/have the option to replace it...

Would you choose to buy a car (assuming you are old enough to drive that is) that had a 2 litre fuel tank, when you KNOW that it would not get you to home, work and back again...?

Also some people live in places (often referred to as the 'countryside') where data connections can be a bit shite.

Here (in blightly) data connections can be very flaky IN THE MIDDLE OF A BIG CITY ffs...

Why would I WANT to have to lug another gizmo around to charge up the first gizmo when it runs out of juice? So I would have TWO f'ing things to charge up when I get home???

If this is your idea of progress, I have a bridge for sale...

Have a nice day!

Jay.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Spare batteries are cheap and small, and give me a fully charged and rebooted phone in less than a minute. I have a 22400mah powerpack, it's big and its heavy (far, far heavier than the 5 batteries equivalent) and it's not very useful or practical tethering that to the phone for hours when I'm hiking and trying to use my phone as a gps, especially in bad weather (did I mention to weight again?). As for data plans, I don't have a dsl/fibre/wifi/etc connection to my house, I depend on the connection from my Note for all my internet inc tethering. There's also pretty much no wifi in the country where I live, and that's especially the case when I'm hiking and camping, or driving, let alone going abroad. Not to mention I have no desire to be handing my data to some spying corporation/government. You might not need these things, but you're not me and don't try to tell me I don't need them simply because your mind is too unimaginative to consider that others have other needs and live in other circumstances..

6. psychonaut

'm truly interested: do all you precious "no battery swap" luddites actually buy a second battery for each phone? How do you charge them? Do you actually have to buy a special charger?"

personaly, i dont need an extra battery. i need to be able to either

1) pull the battery if something bad happens

2) change the battery when the old one doesnt do as well as it used to

3) buy a bigger mAH than stock battery (not done that on the 4 but did previously)

i need a new battery for my note 4 - it doesnt last all day any more. my phone is on wifi, 4g, gps, bluetooth and calls almost constantly for about 10 hours a day, every day. this takes its toll. its a note 4 and has a big, colorful screen

i am convinced that fast charging on the sammys (which actually is fucking awesome and i will miss this feature) degrades the battery more than contraventional charging. but, hey, £12 get me a new one. thats £12. i'll say it again. £12

"I can't help feel you're all secret poster-bois for some particular brand of phone whose only differentiating feature now is a swappable battery and an SD slot,"

now...how could i be a poster boi for a product that i have owned many versions of for the last 6 years, and am now saying that i wont be buying a new one because they are no good anymore? if anything, i am an anti fanboi. you, on the other hand, taste suspiciously appley.

" though I haven't a clue (and nor do I particularly care) what. "

really - i wonder why you bothered to post then? i dont mind, gives me an opportunity to point out what a dick you are. read on.

"Seriously, get a USB charger and feel the joy of thousands more milli-amp-hours, the convenience of not having to switch your phone off and fiddle about with batteries, easy recharging and the ability to charge other devices. "

i have got quite a few chargers. one came with my phone if i remember correctly...i bought some more too. yes, i definitely have heard of usb chargers. thanks for pointing it out though. amazingly, i cant charge my phone all day long, as i am out and about. and yes, i have a charger in my car too.

"Oh, and get a cheap data plan and forget about extra storage. It's not that big a step, but it really doesn't change your life that much, believe me."

no, it doesnt change your life, because your life isnt the same as mine. hence the disparity. i have a 128gb sd card in my sammy. its got all my music on it and photos. it means, that when i am somehwhere where there is no reliable net connection or wifi, i can have access to my stuff. i was in Tunisia recently, costs are something like £5 per megabyte of data.

my data plan has a 4gb limit on it. it is a Vodafone one net platform that links 3 virtual landlines to my phone. i cannot change it for a "cheap tarriff" with another provider, and nor would i.

my phone is a business tool that is essential to me.

1. psychonaut

oops...my post got posted without me finishing...

i also have a tecnet USB charger, but it is big and heavy. i use it at festivals. i dont want to carry it around. as has already been mentioned

so, my phone is a business tool that is essential to me, on a tariff that suits my business (trust me, i pay way more than you do per month) but its essential and is a cost of business.

your phone on the other hand is a toy.

any other questions? or are you not interested as you already stated?

2. DiViDeD
          Thumb Up

Wow, just WOW!

I have no idea what 'contraventional charging' is, but it sounds so awesomely cool I feel an overwhelming desire to give ut a go.

Where do I sign up? And do I need to supply my own rubber boots?

7. Robert Grant

"no battery swap" luddites

The prize for least able to use "luddites" correctly finally gets awarded! I was beginning to think that, with such a simple word, we'd never get less than 100% accurate usage. This plucky 0% contender has swept the awards!

9. Jim-234

I guess I'll be staying with the Note 4 then

Well my fears were confirmed and even their most "tech friendly" phone line the Note has now been dummed down as well. I had hoped that the Note 5 would be spared the "apple cloning exercise" that the S6 had been given but unfortunately that was not to be.

The Note 4 is a great phone and I guess it may well be my last Samsung phone as for me not having removable storage is a deal killer, especially since the on board storage is now quite limited.

I mean even Apple lets you have 128gb on your phone, what's up with the lack of storage Samsung?

At least I've got several spare batteries for the Note 4, so it should work well for me till I someone else decides to make a worthy replacement.

10. fnj
    FAIL

No replaceable battery, no SD, NO SALE

Samsung is off my radar unless and until they smarten up.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keyboard

Why no mention of the keyboard that they announced? Did anyone see it? talk about fugly. They need a design cue and they might get it right. Just like they have with their new watch interface that they teased...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a question of Europeans not getting the chance to purchase a Note 5, it's that Scamsung knows that no one would be stupid enough to buy one in this territory because we have basic education and is therefore not embarrassing itself by attempting to peddle the malformed device!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like