back to article Stardock’s Start10 brings the familiarity of 7 to Windows 10

Stardock has released Start10, a Start menu alternative which replaces Microsoft’s Windows 10 Start menu with one that will make former Windows 7 users feel at home. This is a product that should not need to exist. Following widespread protest at the full-screen Start in Windows 8, Microsoft pulled back in Windows 10 and …

1. Amorous Cowherder
    Happy

You can't beat the free ClassicShell!

I've started it using it recently and as it's FOSS I sent some spondoolics over to the dev team to say thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You can't beat the free ClassicShell!

This?

2. Chika
      Flame

I used CS myself on my test W10 install after disabling Cortana, though I found that the latest version to hand at that point, 4.2.3, didn't work right. The previous one (4.2.1) did, however.

While CS or Start10 provide a workable solution to the problem that is the new Start, it would be nice to have something that took the work needed to cobble the system together into something that worked, didn't download crud that killed it in the background, didn't send a ton of stuff to Microsoft every time I coughed and didn't rely on sodding clouds.

What we actually have is Windows as a Disservice.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Gave deployed two entire Windows 8 networks with ClassicShell.

Rolled it out via MSI, configured defaults via group policy, let user choose which menu type they want (some have stuck with Metro too but they are in the minority), but it gives them (and me) the power to choose.

Even changed the start menu with the company logo and made the side-edge of the old-fashioned start menus have the company name on. Looks snazzy. Cost nothing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Source code for Classic Shell has not been available since version 3.9.0.

http://www.classicshell.net/faq/

2. Richard Wharram

Think I'll get this.

Any ideas if your $4.95 applies to more than 1 machine?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been using Start10 aka Windows-10-Be-Gone for 10 days

And it's doing the same excellent job as Start8 did.

4. ZootCadillac
    Unhappy

product placement?

Twice now this paid for app ( other completely free start replacements are available ) has appeared in El Reg in a week. Anything to declare?

If your interest is genuinely in helping readers improve their start menu experience then why would you not mention alternatives such as the excellent Classic Shell?

5. Lee D Silver badge

Sorry, Reg, but stop with the pay-for articles.

Classic Shell does this for everything from 7 up (and maybe even down, I haven't bothered to check) and has had Windows 10 support for several versions now. And, it's properly-free. As in nothing, nada.

And it's group-policy configurable, MSI-deployable and gives all kinds of options that Start10 doesn't have.

If you going to do this, do a round-up of products, not a pay-for ad for your "favourite".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Explorer

Has got that dammed ribbon. Takes up screen realestate for no real reason.

Now if there were some viable alternatives.... (hint-hint)

1. Preston Munchensonton
      FAIL

Re: Windows Explorer

Now if there were some viable alternatives.... (hint-hint)

You mean like the ones mentioned in the other posts more than twenty minutes before yours?

I guess that for some Anonymous Cowards, reading the fucking comments are optional.

1. Ragarath

I guess that for some Anonymous Cowards, reading the fucking comments are optional.

Although he is commenting on the Start Menu story I took the comment to mean he wanted an alternative for the Ribbon in Explorer. Seeing as that is what his post was about.

2. Bloodbeastterror

Re: Windows Explorer alternative

http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

Free (32-bit) for personal use, dual pane, hugely customisable.

I've been using it for years. Brilliant.

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: Windows Explorer alternative

Q-Dir is a quad-panel free replacement that does it right. Great, persistent usability, with customization. Frequent updates that you don't get nagged about (pull, not push, including not pushing notices). And tons of other great freeware on his site.

Yes, I have contributed. No, I'm not a shill.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Top right hand corner there's a little down chevron click it and the ribbon goes away. How have you not found that in almost a decade?

1. Falmari Silver badge

Damn I never knew that all this time I have been using windows 8 without the ribbon bar as for some reason ribbon has always been hidden. Thanks now I can have the ribbon. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Winaero RibbonDisabler http://winaero.com/download.php?view.18 works well, puts the Windows 7 Explorer toolbar back.

2. Timmy B

Not only that but you can customise the quick access buttons and have them appear in their own toolbar and pretty much emulate old explorer versions.

I haven't personally because I like the ribbon.

3. Pookietoo
        Linux

Re: How have you not found that in almost a decade?

By avoiding MSFT products whenever possible. :-)

4. Permidion

CubicExplorer (use the svn/dev installer)

http://www.cubicreality.com/ce/

best explorer since M$ started butchering its own

it's free (but open for donation of course)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Always happy to support Stardock and Brad...

...because he was always there providing excellent OS/2 WPS add-ons back in the day and he's a jolly good bloke.

1. Edgar Scrutton

Re: Always happy to support Stardock and Brad...

Still using OS/2 exoneration 2.2 commercially to run my company. 23 years !

8. TheProf
    Holmes

Shrinky dink

" the Cortana/Search box which takes up substantial taskbar space"

Or you could go to Taskbar/Properties and check 'use small icons' and reduce the search box to a magnifying glass icon.

Just tried Classic Shell. That's definitely going on my dad's laptop.

9. MattPi

Side bar too

Another great way to get rid of the Cortana box is to drag the task bar over to the left (or right) side of the screen. Once you get used to it being over there, it gives you back a couple dozen pixels of vertical resolution that the silly widescreen displays "took away".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. GBE

How much does an article like this cost?

I too am wondering how much StarDock pays for these adverts disguises as "articles".

11. .thalamus

Oh, come on!

"After setup it prompts to hide the Cortana/Search box which takes up substantial taskbar space; fine if you like what it does, but a nuisance if not."

What a load of crap. You don't need this to hide the Cortana/Search box, you simply Right click on the taskbar, go to 'Cortana' and select 'Hidden'. No 3rd party junk needed to do that.

As always, research before publishing crap. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Oh, come on!

To be fair to the Devil Reg, there's little scope for research when merely splaffing a consignment of marketing blurb at us.

12. Mikel

It puts Cortana in the box

It puts Cortana in the box or else it gets the hose again.

13. Chronos
    Mushroom

Just so you know...

This, and the other start replacements, will not stop Cortana running in the background. Task mangler will reveal TSDB still watching your every move. There is only one way to stop TSDB running and that's remove her from C:\Windows\System Apps\ - you have to kill her process and quickly move the whole folder out of the path before, true to her gaming roots, she respawns, at which point the WinX start menu breaks spectacularly so you must have an alternative loaded and enabled. I'm fairly sure she'll come back with an eventual Windows Update, so keep an eye on task mangler.

Me? Sod this malarkey, I'm sticking with something that doesn't treat me as the product.

14. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Quickstart Bar

One of the first things I've been doing since Windows 7 upward - and which happily still works in Windows 10 - is get the XP Quickstart bar back. I hate the "pin" stuff.

Add a toolbar, select %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, drag it to where you want it (traditionally towards the left just to the right of the start button), unselect Show text and show title, et voila! One click joy for my favourite apps, like mum used to make them. Or something.

15. Gordon 11

Old-style program start menu

Add a toolbar for Programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and squash it to the left of the taskbar. You end up with a list of your programs which you can browse with the mouse.

Add the Desktop toolbar as well in the same way, and switch off desktop icons (so you never have to look for them under open windows).

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only for people who really, really can''t cope with any sort of change whatsoever

Stardock's business model is dead.

There is nothing that Stardock or ClassicShell do that can't be achieved by 5 minutes in the Taskbar properties and / or by right-clicking on the Start button.

Microsoft dropped the ball big-time by removing the start menu from W8, but now, ooh look, it's back. I can quite understand Stardock's need to maintain their revenue stream by trying to persuade the hard-of-thinking that there's still a need for their product, but Start8 is now more than ready to join Mosaic, Clippy, those shell replacements that emulated W3.1 windows in that accursed new-fangled Windows 95, and third-party autoexec.bat editors in the dustbin of history.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you know what else can replace the win10 start menu with win7?

wiping and reloading windows 7

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like