back to article Return of the Jedi? StarWars.co.uk bod to fight the Empire (Disney)

The owner of StarWars.co.uk has vowed to fight on against Disney after the media giant won control of his domain name. Mark Lewis, chief exec of Abscissa.com, who has held the domain and a number of similar names for 12 years, has appealed a decision by the operator of the .uk namespace Nominet. "I can't believe that over the …

1. Alan Sharkey

I hope he wins

It doesn't feel right that a large corporation can just grab things as they like.

1. Triggerfish

Re: I hope he wins

I hope he wins because if you look through that PDF it seems a completly unfair and bias descision, the claims they are basing their rulings on do not even stand up.

2. The Vociferous Time Waster

Feck nominet

domains are like any ip and should be traded on the open market

1. John Tserkezis

Re: Feck nominet

"domains are like any ip and should be traded on the open market"

Unless your name is Disney, in which case you automatically own everything, right?

Thought so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"domains are like any ip and should be traded on the open market"

Unless your name is Disney, in which case you automatically own everything, right?

Or Stelios with his "Easy" craze..

1. Mark 65

Test Stelios' resolve by setting up easymilf.co.uk

3. JetSetJim
    Go

Someone hand the man a slingshot...

David vs Goliath, round 2...

4. Efros

PR Mess Up

Control issues being displayed by The Empire of the Mouse, wonder when they'll despatch the Death Star to Newbury.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a couple of voices suddenly cried out in protest and were suddenly nominetted." © The Mouse.

5. Deano DeCosta IV

Abscissa should keep the names and Disney should put a good offer in for a partnership deal with the business.

6. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

"A notice to appeal...

"...costs £360 (US$560) and provides a further 15 working days for the formal appeal. The formal appeal costs £3600 (US$5,600)."

Ah, "How much Justice can you afford?"

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "A notice to appeal...

>Ah, "How much Justice can you afford?"

Why do articles like this, whether in print or online, so rarely tell us where to send donations?

1. king of foo

Venn diagram:

Rich people

Starwars fans

Hate Disney

Like underdogs

Feeling charitable

I don't do social media, but this sounds like something that could be crowdfunded and a B or C list celeb that wants some attention could get behind...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a B or C list celeb that wants some attention could get behind"

That'd need to be one that doesn't work for Disney & doesn't want to.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Ah, "How much Justice can you afford?"

Not as much as Disney. If they lose they'll just lawyer up and appeal until the guy can no longer afford it.

7. Brandon 2

I'm not saying it's aliens...

... but some pockets may have been lined with space bucks...

1. Mark Simon

Re: I'm not saying it's aliens...

… better than Star Bucks, I suppose …

8. PaulyV

Star Wars Domains

Late 1998 I bought ThePhantomMenace.co.uk and ran a fan site from it for 2 years, but was also linking to toy vendors. Got a lot of traffic and did quite well out of it from the affiliate sales and ad revenue, even reviewing the 'film' for Radio 4 and selling stories on the film to the UK and US press. I never heard anything from Lucasfilm, although I always expected to...I guess they were too busy at the time.

At the same time I also ran StarWarsEmail.com giving people free email addresses - again, heard nothing.

1. Mark 65

Re: Star Wars Domains

You're probably next on the list.

9. VirtAl

Resist the power of the dark side

Should Abscissa lose their appeal, I suggest a world wide, social media campaign calling for a boycott of all Star Wars movies and related franchise offshoots and merchandising. Like any other corporate entity, the board of Disney only understand the language of money. If we threaten their bottom line, they will respond.

This is a despicable act by another greedy bunch of corporate scumbags and cannot reasonably be defended given the available evidence.

1. MrXavia

Re: Resist the power of the dark side

will never work....

Disney may be the Dark side.. but the dark side is fun...

I have zero chance of boycotting the new film without causing extreme upset to my children, they love star wars, they love the original 3 most, think the prequels are OK, but are enthusiastic about the new film! If they keep up the quality found in the animated Clone Wars & Rebels I think they will have a winner

10. Ginolard

Platini approved

It's MichelinGuides.com all over again.

At least that website was funny

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Domain Wars

This is crazy, but it seems to happen quite frequently with domains.

There will be wars across the world with robots and civil wars with domains and websites.....

Here's the issue in this case, the corporations hold the copyright to "StarWars" which even holds grounds with domains, but technically that man has been doing business as: "StarWars.co.uk."

Technically both sides have a legal right to use that, but I would say Mark Lewis does OWN it more since he has used it for business. They are only supposed to take it away if it's parked or sitting around or is a very basic monetized site without any content. It should get looked into and Mark should get it back.

nomsavior.com/blog/category/news

12. Hans 1
    Mushroom

Squatter?

Ok, so, star wars appears to be a franchise owned by a corp. It is a registered trademark, end of story, too bad, the idiot has lost.

Like the arseholes over at Perfect Privacy who, on the back of openvpn make tons of money, managed to take over openvpn.org and fool people into believing it was openvpn they were downloading. No, you cannot use their software to connect to your coporate openvpn server, only their paid for, bogus privacy, service.

This has to stop, next we will see starwars.biz or star.wars, squatters ... you did not write the saga, so why should you be able to fool netizens into thinking you are the official site ?

This has to stop.

Like a HMRC LLC, that would be able to cash checks issued to the HMRC, aka HM Revenue & Customs.

That anybody knowledgeable over here thinks this guy is right makes me go fscking mad!

1. Mark 65

Re: Squatter?

Personally I do not see any reason why ownership of a trademark per se should entitle you to every domain with permutations of that trademark unless the current owner is passing themselves off as the trademark holder. That, to me, is what should enact a forced handover.

If someone is an avid fan of author X with a particular fondness for book Y such that they decide to setup a fan-site based upon name Y, and in no way tries to pretend there is anything official about it, then I do not see why said person should have to forfeit that domain should Y be made into a blockbuster with the trademark owned by bigcorp Z. Yet this is what such judgements would promote. Why should someone be punished for being first to market or, in this case, owning some domains you forfeited?

Here's an idea: if you're bigcorp Z and obtain trademark for Y then best you sort out domains upfront rather than try to strong-arm them later you cheap lazy bastards. To me that is part of your due diligence. Anything you allow to lapse is then fair game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like