back to article Hacking Team brewed potent iOS poison for non-jailbroken iThings

Hacking Team compromised non-jailbroken iOS devices using a variant of last year’s Masque Attack, in which Apple devices were infected via emails and text messages. That's according to a study of the 400GB of documents that were pilfered from the Italian snoop-ware maker's computers by hackers, and leaked online for all to see …

1. Phuq Witt
    WTF?

WTF?...

...is the picture accompanying this story supposed to be symbolising?

[This is why folks shouldn't operate Photoshop, under the influence of drugs or alcohol]

1. Mike Bell

Re: WTF?...

The Garden of Eden, obviously.

1. Phuq Witt
        Angel

Yeah, I kind of got the Garden of Eden imagery, but what's the girl's head in a circle being dragged about on top of a big shouty man's face for?

[Thinks for a bit...]

Let me see....

He's God and he's angry, so she's being symbolically banished from the garden by having her face cropped out of the image...

But the thumb moving the cropped head is a female hand. Surely they're not implying God's a tranny?...

Oh. I get it. It's her hand, symbolising that her fall from grace is her own doing.

Now it all makes sense. Brilliant piece of artwork. I heartily withdraw my initial criticisms!

[Phew! –it's tough work, this theology]

2. King Jack
      Facepalm

The garden of Eden. The snake, the tree and the Apple device.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder what Symbian exploits they managed?

The PITA descriptors should have thwarted simple buffer overruns (at least if used properly by the long-suffering coder). Notoriously one licensee hacked a debugger driver to be accessible with low capabilities (it made it more convenient) but I think it was blacklisted. What else - Leaked signing keys from a manufacturer, or a logical flaw in the installer/platform security?

3. Mark 85

The people problem

The hardware is really only a part of the problem. The problem is people. They click through warnings, they download stuff they know is questionable. They then turn around and blame hardware, government, companies for their lack of security and not watching out for them.

I've read these articles and others like it. It boils down to the person running the device, be it cellphone, PC, etc. Yes, there's stuff the equipment, apps, programs, firewalls, etc. can protect against and stop. But it seems the biggest reason equipment gets compromised is users not caring or paying attention to what's going on in front of them.

This not only allowed the Hacking Team to prosper, it was also their downfall.

4. Queasy Rider

Am I less or more safe?

My primary phone is a feature phone running java apps. Does anybody know how that system compares to android or apple. Just wondering.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like