back to article Kim Dotcom to create Wikimedia-style open source Mega 3.0

File locker mogul Kim Dotcom has signalled he'll soon create a third version of his Mega service. Dotcom's first file locker, Megaupload, saw him accused of knowingly hosting, and indeed encouraging the upload and distribution of, stolen films and music. From his new home in New Zealand, he's fought a long legal battle on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"end even trying, and failing miserably, to promote a political part"

Which part would that be then?

This is good news if true - the world needs a trustable way of sharing large lumps of data.

"The full interview, packed with all manner of theories about judicial conspiracies, copyright and crypotography"

That's a little unfair, I think. The man has been dry-arse-fucked by a government half a world away over copyright. Sure, the original Megaupload was sailing pretty close to the wind; but so were/are many other similar services that haven't been touched. Also the SWAT teams, dawn raids, confiscation of assets etc. haven't been what you would call ethical.

1. K

Well put.

Can't help but think we're seeing history in the making, a few rogues standing up to white-collar corporations and nation states, whether this be for personal protection, fame and fortune or just because they see it as right.

Not that I agree or disagree with them, some are pompous twats - others such as Kim Dot Com are just anti-heroes.

What I find ironic though, is either way Hollywood profits - as pretty much guarantee they'll be making big budget movies about this shit in a few years!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I knew that. To err is human, as is the inability to resist taking the piss in the comments a little. The only surprising bit is that I didn't make a typo myself while doing so...that's what normally happens.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't Thomas Edison get rich by ripping off copyrighted European films and distributing them across America also ripping of plays and books too without paying royalties ?

Americans love to say what their ancestral origins are but don't like to be presented with uncomfortable historical truths.

Go Kim !

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

He also ripped off the movie camera

Which was invested by Louis le Prince in Leeds, I believe. (He later disappeared in mysterious circumstances).

Also, I'm sure I've read that one of the big reasons the movie industry is in Hollywood was to avoid New York where Edison had much more favourable patent courts.

2. Grikath

Edison was the forerunner of the current crop of patent trolls/NPE's/IP lawyers, and many of them worship at his altar. Steal what you can, and make use of patent jurisdiction to maximise monetisation.

His greatest "invention" was not what he's usually know for, but setting up modern laboratury structure by setting up the contracts that had people sign away the rights to their own discoveries,"*and* non-competition clauses. And employ PR and FUD in the modern sense. By all means, not a Nice Man, and most certainly not "the greatest inventor who ever lived".

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Pirating of Mega Media .... with a Dick Tracy Intercept?

Howdy, El Reg and Illustrious Commentards,

Y'all might like to visit http://kim.com/whitepaper.pdf for the other/another side of Mega Media into telling tales fabricating evidence/delivering honest pictures.

A simple big little plain text read creating a whole new grave world order view in chaos for madness and mayhem, which is a crazy virtual reality to lose yourself in for one is always to expect future self-destruction with the public outing of outrageous and unsavoury private shenanigans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Pirating of Mega Media .... with a Dick Tracy Intercept?

the public outing of outrageous and unsavoury private shenanigans.

You may find it crazy, but it's one of the reasons I would support Donald Trump in his bid to become president.

I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of winning nor do I think he has a particularly pleasant and social approach to life and his fellow men, but he has one thing Washington is deadly afraid of: independence. Trump doesn't owe allegiance to anyone or anything other than his hair, and that means he cannot be controlled to ensure he keeps all those vested interests in play. I think it is VERY good that he is shaking things up for a while, as a couple of cliques have been getting *way* too comfortable in Washington.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

How very odd to see a down vote on that post of yours, AC. But then as we know, the world of full of odd cases doing all sorts of very strange things. C'est la vie, bien sûr.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How very odd to see a down vote on that post of yours, AC. But then as we know, the world of full of odd cases doing all sorts of very strange things. C'est la vie, bien sûr.

No, it was expected. That will be from people from think I'd seriously vote for Trump for being Trump, instead of voting for him to ensure things finally get shaken up in Washington, because by God they need it. It would be worth suffering 4 years of Trump, because there is no possible way to make things worse.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

GOD into CHAOS ...... AI into Madness with Mayhem

Methinks, AC, that due to the fact that ignorance abounds, does arrogance presume to rule and reign over the masses.

However, that was before the advent of virtually ubiquitous universal communications networks and surreally smart and getting considerably more sophisticated agents and their work, rest and play in zombified fields and ponzi promotions.

CHAOS now runs all before IT there now with their Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems with Global Operating Devices.?!

2. Mark 85

I'll give you an upvote. Yes, he has a snowball's chance in hell... but not being beholden to any interest other than his own... this will be an interesting election. It could be that rather than picking Trump, the masses will go for Sanders who seems to me, to be a pretty good choice compared to the other idiots.

Hmm.... I sound like I'm picking the lesser of evils, doesn't it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a sucker born every second

...actually several per second. Those are the arse clowns who would give money to a crim. Fat Boy needs about 25 years in the slammer to get a grasp on reality.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon