back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Southern biscuits and gravy

Our call for reader post-pub nosh neckfiller suggestions continues to bear fruit, and for your wobbly dining consideration today we present "biscuits and gravy", courtesy of Robbin Nichol. According to Robbin, this stodgetastic delicacy – of 1996 movie Sling Blade fame – "is a big thing in some Southern States in the US and …

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Informative article

Before reading it I had absolutely no idea what plain white flour, lard, sour cream, salt and baking power looked like. Now I know.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Informative article

I know, it was an enlightening moment when I arranged them all for the photo.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Down

...is a big thing in some Southern States in the US

No wonder they lost.

Feeling a bit queasy and need to sit down.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TL:DR but it seems from the pictures that we buy a packet of scones, puke over them and call it dinner.

Nice

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can't upvote this enough. That's horrible stuff in the pictures!

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

Now if you look in our 'quid a day' survival guide

- and I *know* you have a copy, Lester, you reviewed it! - you'll find a perfectly good recipe for *sweet* scones. Just get some butter and jam in the middle of them, and away with this cat vomit nonsense!

5. brotherelf
    Thumb Up

Having had biscuits and gravy in Ohio, in the middle of a snow storm, it is delightfully filling (if you have the needed levels of visual suspension of disbelief), until you get into the stage of "I don't want to move in the next three hours" usually reserved for a full fry-up.

6. graeme leggett Silver badge

" between an American biscuit and a Brit scone is the former is made without sugar"

Remind me never to eat your cheese scones nor beef cobbler....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many years ago

My other half made some pastry to freeze, some sweet, for pies, some savoury for , um, not sweet pies.

So one day she made a beef and ale pie. Lovely but the pastery was so sweet! Yeah, she had mixed em up. So a cobbler became a pobbler. P for "pie-crust".

Lovely juicy beef with a sugary topping does not work well....

1. Zog_but_not_the_first

Re: Many years ago

My sympathies, that must have been a nasty surprise.

On the other hand, savoury with sweet can be divine. I'm thinking of a tart apple pie with mature cheddar in the pastry.

7. Efros

Don't let appearances put you off

A well executed biscuits and gravy is a brilliant neck filler, post pub or otherwise. Here's mine.

My sausage gravy recipe.

1lb of good quality sausage meat

1 large onion

1 clove of garlic minced

1/2 pint of light cream

1/2 pint of milk (2%)

2 heaped tablespoons of flour

1 oz grated aged Asiago cheese

dash Worcestershire sauce

sprinkling of nutmeg

salt and pepper

Using a spatula to divide the sausage meat into little pieces, fry off the sausage meat with onions in a little oil, add the minced garlic once the sausage is almost done. Once the sausage meat is cooked through and some crusty bits are forming on the meat, sprinkle the 2 spoons of flour over the mixture and continue frying whilst stirring to form a roux. Once a fairly light roux has been formed add the cream slowly and with constant stirring, the mixture should begin to thicken almost as soon as the added cream comes up to temperature. Once all the cream has been added add the milk in a similar fashion, you may need more than that specified as some flours thicken better than others. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer until the sauce has cooked through at which point I usually add the grated aged Asiago and stir it in. This is usually served over American biscuits, but I think using cheese scones would work just as well.

8. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Awesome Post Pub Nosh

Back in my college days, we used to hit a little breakfast joint that was open 4am to noon. Regulars such as myself and my drinking buddies could get in at 3:30. They had the best biscuits and gravy! 1/2 order B&G plus your standard eggs, bacon, sausage etc really hit the spot. It was a sad day for my comrades and I when the owner passed away. No one picked up the business either...

9. Mark 85

Other variations

There's a lot of variations to the gravy recipe depending on who makes it and geographic location.

What the Navy/Marines used to have was a milk gravy (no cream or cheese) using hamburger instead of sausage, and heavily peppered over biscuits, toast, or even hash browns. The Army/Air Force did SOS (S**t On a Shingle) but that's a rather nasty compared to the Navy/Marine stuff.

There's also "red-eye" gravy involving ham and ham drippings. I've also seen a variation of this using bacon drippings.

A bit of Googling for the adventurous will turn up many different variations.

1. JP 6

Re: Other variations

In California, I have never found an onion in my biscuits and gravy. I hope I never do.

1. Goatshadow

Living in Alabama, I can assure you that onions are not part of Southern biscuits and gravy.

1. noominy.noom

I've had biscuits and gravy in Florida, Georgia, Iowa and Illinois. Never seen onions in it. I'd like it as I like onions. But it sure isn't common.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Could also have shit on the shingle! Cream dried beef on toast, used to be a staple in our house.

http://cooklime.com/Recipes/5121-creamed-chipped-beef-on-toast#.Vbg0ahjBzGc

that's good eatin'!

3. ldjfaskjla
      Pint

Red Eye Gravy is the drippings of country ham (very salty smoked ham from the south/east of the US) mixed with coffee. Serve it up with the ham, grits and an egg if you wish. Amazing! It's a grease-fest that will leave you thirsty for days!

10. Caustic tWit

I Think...

...a little gravy browning would improve the optics greatly.

1. Mark 85
      Happy

Re: I Think...

That would be a lunch or dinner gravy then....maybe for the chicken fried steak....?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I Think...

No, i dont think so.

Looking at that picture it looks like porridge on scones...

Which sounds nasty. This just looks nasty and no matter how good it tastes, the taste will do NOTHING to disguise the visual ambiguity.

11. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Bake in oven at 220°C for 12 minutes

Or alternatively just leave outside to slow cook for 24 minutes.

How about post-pub cold nosh for those currently "enjoying" the heatwave? Salmorejo?

12. fishman

Edible

If anyone has problems eating something like this, they should watch the BBC series "Supersizers".

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: Edible

You mean like the Tudor Umble Pie? ... ('deer's innards' pie)

It all reminds me why I became a vegetarian 20+ years ago.

Now if it was cheese (non-animal rennet) scones and soup (leek'n' taters / toms) .. yum.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The sight of very large americans pouring ladles of this stuff over their morning 'biscuits' at hotels all over CO,NV,UT,OR,WY,MO,NE,NM,AZ (and quite possibly other states) was enough to put me off it for life.

Then they go back for seconds/thirds. Even grits and sauerkraut (not in the same meal) seem edible when compared to that ... crap.

Arggggggggghhhhhhh let me out of there.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The sight of very large americans pouring ladles of this stuff over their morning 'biscuits' at hotels all over CO,NV,UT,OR,WY,MO,NE,NM,AZ (and quite possibly other states) was enough to put me off it for life."

On the bright side, they make British cooking look appetising and move us from bottom spot in the World Culinary Opinion Championships.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Grits: Eaten once on my one trip to the USA. NEVER to be eaten again. Why the fuck would yoou want to mix milk and aggregate and then declare it as "tasty" i will never know.

Right up there with oysters, celery, tripe and grapefruit.

1. Goatshadow

Normal grits are boiled in water, not milk. Sorry you got scammed.

13. x 7

biscuits & gravy?

In my part of the world thats dogfood.

And whys that poor kid wearing a wrist brace - you didn't have to twist her arm to eat the stuff did you?

14. Gene Cash Silver badge

Not a biscuits & gravy fan (even though Cracker Barrel does 'em up right) but ah luvs me some grits 'n' butter.

1. Sporkinum

Just got home tonight

Just got home tonight after a long day of work, and my wife made grits and sausage gravy for supper. Stodge in the best sense of the word. It really hit the spot and I am currently stuffed!

15. Richard Ball

Looks like apple crumble that has been left out in the rain.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Trollface

Found in MacArthur Park?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One for the Dirty Dirty! HEEEELLLL YEEEEAAH!!!

Yeah um... As one of those Southerner that not only had that and sausage for breakfast, but make it in a few of the available variations, first I'd like to say, "We finally made it to the Post Pub scene! WOOT WOOT!!!

Like it was earlier mentioned, we don't put onions in our gravy. We typically use flour, milk, either bacon or sausage grease, salt and pepper for our gravy. And sometimes we'll make a REAL "Mess" which adds meat or meats eggs(usually scrambled or fried) and fried potatoes(shredded or chopped hashbrowns, or steak fry cut), on top of the buscuit and cover everything in a hefty sum of gravy. It may be why the South lost the Civil War, but it darn sure tastes good!

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox

Re: One for the Dirty Dirty! HEEEELLLL YEEEEAAH!!!

+1

Proper Southern gravy has none of that onion, garlic, or cheese and it is pretty rare to use cream (at least in my neck of the woods whilst a wee lad).

Having lived and, unfortunately eaten, in the UK, I do find it amusing that so many here are decrying the appearance of this cuisine - I saw far worse gracing the plates in a number of pubs and can't count the number of times I was told "Go on, eat it - it tastes much better than it looks and smells...".

2. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Amen. Gravy is simple - fresh grease, flour, milk, salt, pepper. The difficulty is in adding the milk to the roux without it going lumpy. Any meat (preferably what you cooked to make the grease) should be added AFTER the gravy has been put on the biscuits. I like Tennessee Pride sausage myself, especially the "Hot" version.

I'm Southern (Georgian), but admit to being a heretic - I like to top my gravy and biscuits with grits. And then drizzle honey over it. No, I don't plan to live past 50, thanks for asking...

Mmm, now I'm craving Cracker-Barrel. Over-medium eggs, bacon, grits, gravy and biscuits. Mmmmmmm. But payday isn't until Thursday. Thanks Lester...

1. x 7

"But payday isn't until Thursday"

You mean you have to pay to eat that shit???!!!!??

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
          Pirate

"You mean you have to pay to eat that shit?"

They don't have to force me to, I do it gladly.

17. Pen-y-gors

Gravy?

"Two countries separated by a common language"

1. twelvebore

Re: Gravy?

Two countries separated by a common misunderstanding of pretty much everything.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

And biscuits?

In Portuguese, it would be «Scones e vômito», which is much closer to proper English than the language they speak on the other side of the pond.

3. Efros

Funny thing I've found over the years is that the Americans sense and usage of English words is more archaic than the British, consequently a lot of words that we find in English to be misinterpreted in American English and vice versa is based on the fact that the Yanks use an older definition. Gravy originally meant a spicy sauce, derived from the French grané, probably from grain ‘spice,’ from Latin granum ‘grain’.

Yes, they can be very quaint at times :-p

(Wifey is still pissed off 40 years later after hearing an American tourist refer to York Minster as "that quaint lil church")

1. Efros

Or the apocryphal comment supposedly heard outside Waverly Station in Edinburgh, "Such good planning, building the castle so close to the station."

1. x 7

and isn't amazing that Walter Scott named his novels after the station......???

18. Kimo

Close, but not quite.

Biscuits look a tad off, and that gravy is an abomination. Best way to do it is simply drive to pretty much any diner in the Mississippi Delta. Red-eye gravy is better, and none of that cheese and cream. Milk, flour, and grease is all you need. And a ton of pepper.

In my experience, a diner either makes good hash browns or good biscuits and gravy. Never had both good in the same place.

1. david bates

Re: Close, but not quite.

Simply driving to pretty much any diner in the Mississippi Delta would be a challenge from pretty much any part of the UK...

Thumb Up

Re: Close, but not quite.

...or Spain, the location of the SPB (Culinary Division)

On the other hand, if the Canaries collapse into the sea we could surf the wave all the way over. Might not be much of a delta left when we arrive though.

19. x 7

image of real biscuits and gravy

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/QWOP1930.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Although I speak as one who did occasionally eat dog biscuits when young (it was the 70s) it _looks_ more appetising (and I'm sure it would give me a cold nose)

20. Blake Davis

Buttermilk

Sour cream is not a replacement for buttermilk!

Buttermilk can be made by adding a few teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk. Stir and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Buttermilk

Or more easily, buy skimmed milk.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Buttermilk can be made by adding a few teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk. Stir and let it sit for 10-15 minutes."

I always thought buttermilk was the white watery stuff left over after making butter?

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

It can also be found in powdered form for cooking (not to reconstitute and drink). As good as actual buttermilk in most recipes, IMHO.

21. Tromos

The cat vomit comment gives me an idea

Easy way to make the gravy: Feed ingredients to cat. Wait.

1. skeptical i
      Devil

Re: The cat vomit comment gives me an idea

No, no, no, that'll get you hot and sour soup.

22. ptmmac

I am currently living in Athens, Ga and I can tell you that you have not got the proper touch on this one. There are no cheese or onions in biscuits and gravy. The real quality comes from people who have the basic recipe down and can make substitutions. My chef makes a killer version of the gravy with wild mushrooms instead of sausage. That is not at all a common thing, but it is worthy of trying once you get the real thing down. You need to make better biscuits, and add less flour in your gravy. The gravy should be served hot and not left to congeal into the mess you appear to be serving.

1. x 7

"My chef makes a killer version of the gravy with wild mushrooms "

wild mushrooms always carry a risk of death to the unknowing.......remind me not to visit your part of the world. I take it you don't eat his gravy?

23. knightred

Yup, the gravy is deceptive, you need to make it runnier than you think, as it will start stiffening up once it is off the heat. And it's proper to just be sausage, flour for a roux (thickener), and milk and pepper. Although I'll be honest adding some hard cheese might be a good addition. I've used bacon and mushrooms in the gravy too, it's a nice surprise.

Also, I prefer drop biscuits to the round pressed type you use the same recipe except you mix with a fork until just barely together and scoop out small barely held together heaps onto the sheet, bake the same.

That way they are crumbly and airy. Then you crumble the biscuit, put an overeasy or maybe poached egg on it, top with gravy and serve with a slice of bacon.

For the naysayers, when the gravy is correctly done it's not greasy or sickening. Next you'll claim to not like gumbo because it starts with 1/4 cup of lard and 1/4 cup of flour (or 1/2c each depending on how I feel) too and turns out looking disgustingly brown and chunky.

Did this series do heuvos rancheros yet? I always felt that's the tex-mex version of biscuits and gravy. The cuban variation is even more similar as they drown it in black beans.

Huevos rancheros

We did do said huevos, a while back: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/06/haggis_huevos/

24. thomas k

mmm, biscuits and gravy

Makes me want to stop by Bit o' Country on my way home from work one day this week to have some.

Second those peeps who say cheese and onions are not normally included, this was the first I'd heard of that.

25. David Roberts

Gravy?

Took me a while to realise this is white sauce or cheese sauce.

1. Steve Crook

Yup. How American. Biscuits and Gravy. Things that aren't biscuits covered with something that isn't gravy...

26. DropBear

I took to the intertubes in a quest to find out what _proper_ biscuits and gravy should look like. I know now it was a grave mistake. Do yourself a favour: don't try to do that...

27. John McCallum

Biscuits and Gravy

So this is what "it" looks like white sauce and mince over savoury/plain scones.

28. JeanC

Close, but not quite

As mentioned,cheese, onions and garlic are not a usual part of the recipe, tho there may be some regional variations. Tho I may give that a try since I like to play around with recipes.

But I think another problem with the gravy is you made it with the sausage still in. Best to take the sausage out, then make the roux and add the liquid. Yours was probably tasty, but definitely too thick.

http://jeancskitchen.blogspot.com/search?q=biscuits

Re: Close, but not quite

From our deathmatch series: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/02/souse_scrapple/?page=2

Delicious

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Close, but not quite

As I said, we just used the supplied reader recipe, but yes, if I did it again I'd have the gravy runnier.

29. s. pam Silver badge
    Happy

A fine staple of hangovers in the Southern USA....

add Chicken Fried Steak, Hash Browns and 2 Eggs scrambled and even your WORST Tequila hangover will be gone!

When I get to go to Texas I look forward to Biscuits & Gravy. My English wife says it looks like baby puke on scones, but who gives a fsck!

1. x 7

Re: A fine staple of hangovers in the Southern USA....

"When I get to go to Texas I look forward to Biscuits & Gravy"

If thats what you forward to in Texas, the rest of Texas must be pretty crap.....

1. Thecowking

Re: A fine staple of hangovers in the Southern USA....

Last time I was in Texas (December last), I had biscuits and gravy.

Airline food was much better.

So was pretty much everything, including McDonalds.

That stuff is sodding awful, like wallpaper paste on sad scones. As for what passes for "sausage" there, the less said the better.

BBQ on the other hand was magnificent.

30. Grumpy Fellow
    Go

We are getting close finally

Sooner or later they are bound to do a PPNN with Scrapple! Please, oh please!

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: We are getting close finally

Wait - you'd really try to get a triple-letter score or a double-word score post-pub??

PS: that isn't how you spell "Scrabble".

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First up, the above-mentioned Red-eye Gravy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_gravy) may contain coffee, which is an abomination in any dish.

Second, in many parts of the world (UK, NZ) we expect our gravy to be somewhat stronger flavoured than the US seem to like it. I have had some pretty tasteless "gravy", so the addition of stronger flavour components (bacon grease, cheese, onion, garlic etc) would be welcome, to get that real strong taste.

In other words, I like the concept, but I'd rather execute it myself. With good fluffy biscuits/scones/dumplings or over fried potato/hash browns, it is pretty yummy after a hard night.

32. Kmgriffi

Just No! No lard, EVER! No cheese or onions. You ppl need help.

I'd never contemplated making gravy with sausage until attending college in Bloomington, Indiana, USA (Google it, Brits. It's lush, green, sub-tropical, & we have Internet Two). I make damn good biscuits and gravy, and here's how. Butter, NOT LARD (yuck), & NO FINGERS!! Cold butter, pastry blender or food processor, like piecrust (you have that in UK, yeah?) Dry ingredients and butter should look like very coarse meal. Make drop biscuits - use a bit more milk (whole milk, no cream), mix til combined, but no more, drop by .25 cop measure onto greased baking sheet. Goal is no handle dough as little as possible, makes for tender, flaky biscuits.

Sausage gravy is best made from a spicy hot sage sausage. I use a brand called "Old Folks" which barely renders enough fat for gravy. This is a feature, not a bug. Brown sausage in a dry pan, remove meat and add flour. You're making a roux, cook flour/fat a while, then use a sauce whisk to begin to incorporate the milk. Keep whisking, bring to simmer, things should thicken. Dump cooked sausage back in, adjust consistency. Adjust seasoning, probably need salt, if you use spicy sausage, you don't need pepper. Biscuits should be broken into chunks on plate, the better to trap and hold gravy ladled over.

Anyone visiting Indiana University, where I wrangle servers and more, I will be happy to clear up the misconceptions about biscuits and gravy. Will admit it looks like concrete chunks in cream sauce. Have seen way too much cat vomit to agree there.

1. x 7

Re: Just No! No lard, EVER! No cheese or onions. You ppl need help.

"Sausage gravy is best made from a spicy hot sage sausage. I use a brand called "Old Folks"

Sounds like a rebrand of Soylent Green

33. disgruntled yank

I don't know

Having grown up in the Midwest, I don't have strong opinions about biscuits and gravy. The one time I did have it, the meat was ham, and the gravy a good deal browner. I'd recommend looking into that.

34. ukgnome

Jizzy Scones!

We refer to Biscuits and Gravy as jizzy scones in my household....whilst tasty we don't have them often due to the arguments about pronunciation.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure about the original (though I;d happily try it if it were put before me), but that's got me thinking of trying plain scones with a cheesy bechamel. maybe a hint of garlic, plus either some fried chopped tomatoes, diced corned beef. Or both. Mmmmm.

The differences between American and English terms for various food items has me wondering whether anyone's had some particularly amusing/unfortunate incidents when ordering food on the other side of the pond fromwhere they usuallylive.

1. x 7

" has me wondering whether anyone's had some particularly amusing/unfortunate incidents when ordering food on the other side of the pond fromwhere they usuallylive."

I was once amused watching a set of german bikers in an English pub, attempting to order three pints of bitter "three bittas please", waiting ages at the table and finally getting three pizzas "three pitzas please......"

The look on the bikers faces was priceless. They got the pizzas for free when the confusion was resolved

36. earl grey
    Paris Hilton

SWMBO is from the south

Well, further south than yours truly. She likes biscuits and gravy and i've had it a number of times. Biscuits (if not hard and bricklike) should be split, laid on their backs, and then splooge your white-ish

gravy over them. Yeah, sounds like food pron.

37. jonnycando

Late to the party

But as a bonafide Southerner whose arteries are clogged with more than a little sausage gravy, let me say, that this is a po folks dish and it out to be kept simple. Our biscuits have no sugar because sugar was expensive in the old days, but we could grow our wheat for flour easy enough. So a biscuit really wanted to be a scone but through serendipity it ended up being a unique and lovely thing. Now for the gravy it needs nothing but flour and milk at most, the very most. A touch of baking soda will give some lift but that is really fru fru. The whole savoriness of the dish is the seasoning of the sausage which ends up flavoring the gravy and all. Some black pepper and maybe a dash of salt are all you will ever need further, if you even want those. When it comes to biscuits.....chill your dough before you cut out the biscuits, and promplty bake them, they will come out flaky this way. Also, the best biscuits are the ones which become stone within a few hours. They must be eaten quite fresh. Whoever mentioned browning the gravy........don't you dare. Not for this dish.

38. x 7

In a spare moment this afternoon I ended up watching an old episode of 'Allo'Allo in which the two English airmen ended up sharing the pigswill trough with a couple of Middle Whites.

I was really reminded of this recipe

39. MNDaveW

The biscuits should be flaky. Fold & kneed several times using cold ingredients. Best breakfast on the planet. My kids' friends all love it too. Don't knock it 'till you've had it right.

40. Marshalltown

Butter milk

In the US buttermilk is a cultured milk like khefir. Originally it was whey (thus the name) that had soured a bit. The main reason for using it is that if you limit the leavening to baking soda, you need an acid to react with the soda. Otherwise you have hard, crispy little objects that can be substituted for hockey pucks. Thus, the addition of sour milk (buttermilk). Since we often don't have buttermilk on hand - a large minority actually drink it - there are numerous doges. Probably the best, since it adds just a hint of flavor, is sour the milk with a tablespoon or so of lemon juice. Simply add the juice to the milk and let it stand for a few minutes until the milk has begun to thicken. Also, a good many of us biscuit makers toss in a teaspoon of sugar to enhance the flavour a bit (too much makes the biscuits sweet) and to enhance browning. Acidic doughs don't brown well and unbrowned biscuits don't taste as good.

41. x 7

you can say what you like, this recipe is for dog food, nothing else

42. Marshalltown

Sugar in biscuits

In fact some recipes toss in a tablespoon's worth in a recipe that makes about a dozen 2 to 2and 1/2 inch biscuits. It helps the biscuit brown a bit, especially buttermilk biscuits, and it adds some savoriness to the biscuit. There is no detectable sweetening.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon