back to article CVS shutters photo website in credit-card hack attack scare

US drugstore* chain CVS has shut down its online photo printing service after it was compromised by hackers, who may have swiped people's bank card details. "We have been made aware that customer credit card information collected by the independent vendor who manages and hosts CVSPhoto.com may have been compromised," CVS …

1. jonnycando
    Unhappy

Booze and sticky carpets

Not the ones in my state. For one thing state has monopoly on liquor and sells it in its own stores only. And CVS stores here are clean or at least not carpeted. They are run by vultures however. I had to take my 8000 dollar a month prescription to Walgreens

1. glen waverley
      Pint

Re: Booze and sticky carpets

Able to give us an idea of which state? Assume US.

Interested as a city near me still has statutory 'dry zones' where bars and pubs don.t exist. (In Oz, if you were asking.)

1. frank ly

"They are run by vultures however."

I didn't know that The Register was diversifying in this way.

2. KA1AXY

Here in Massachusetts, they also offer herbal and homeopathic "remedies". About the only thing they have been proven to remedy, however, is CVS' bottom line.

2. iLuddite

more articles needed

One about a database that has never been cracked would be refreshing.

3. Ben Tasker

* A chemist in British English

English... just English... originated from England and all that....

I don't know why it irritates me, but it does. On the other hand, I remember reading (or being told) that US English was closer to the English language when the colonies were formed than ours is now, so either that side of the pond is has a less evolved language than us, or is more traditional :)

/tangent

Although it's not great they got boned, at least they've the decency to take the site offline whilst looking into it, rather than pretending it didn't happen and continuing to trade without knowing how vulnerable they might be

4. Pomgolian
    FAIL

Token Billing

Why the hell were they storing card details in the first place? There really is no real need to do that if you use a proper card provider who offers token billing. The token is completely useless to anyone except the merchant. This set of morons deserve to have the PCIDSS police crawl up their small dark passages and be made to squeal loudly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Denial... / ....Greed.... Not classic but definitely typical...

All these lax services are just getting creamed. After being profitable for years with no tech investment or interest from HQ, complacency, fear and loathing has set in... I can imagine conversations after eggs hit a few more faces :----

Beancounters:

"What do you tech guys know? We're business, we're in charge, not you! This is the way we've always done it. We don't want to change anything, because its always been profitable and we've gotten used to that, whereas the changes you want, that costs money!

Tech staff:

"You're unnecessarily storing customer credit card numbers you ****"... Wean yourself off your addiction to hoarding people's personal financial info, and deal with transactions as a throwaway service..."

5. JoeF

According to KrebsOnSecurity, Costco and Tesco also have shut down their photo sites.

The other PNI customers are doing that soon, I hope.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/cvs-probes-card-breach-at-online-photo-unit/#more-31629

1. Ole Juul

According to KrebsOnSecurity, Costco and Tesco also have shut down their photo sites.

This could end up causing a bit of a revision war on Wikipedia.

1. Kirk Northrop

Indeed it has - edited by a user called PNIStaff...

Luckily the mods have been quite harsh and rolled it all back, and added in some stuff about the hack just for good measure.

6. jake Silver badge

Two points and a question.

P0: The CVS here in Sonoma has no carpets, sticky or otherwise.

P1: The floors are, however, filthy.

Q: What kind of person uses this kind of photo printing service in the first place? Even my techno-phobe Mom & techno-can't GreatAunt (78 years old & 104 years young, respectively) happily print out photo-quality pictures at home.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like