back to article Android Wear 5.1: A more enduring wristjob for your pleasure

It’s fair to say that sales of wristy wearables haven’t set the world on fire. Even Apple seems to be hard pushed to flog them in quantity. The reason is not hard to fathom. Watch the TV advertisements for either Android Wear or Apple Watch and I defy you not to ask yourself why the hell would you spend good money on either. …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

It's in the wrist action

Just confirmed what I always thought about the wearable target market...

Well someone had to say it.

Still not worth my good money, it just seems several times more inconvenient than a glance lock screen.

2. thomas k

Thanks, Alun

On the strength of your review, I'll go ahead and upgrade, I think.

I'm a little curious about the Wi-Fi feature for those of us with watches that don't support it (LG G Watch here). Does the watch, or your phone, keep saying 'can't connect to wi-fi' or does that just get ignored? Or is there and on/off selector for it?

1. goldcd

I've got a Moto 360

Which does support wifi - nice to have, but not revolutionary.

No popups or anything like that.

Seems to try to connect via your watch on BT, then if it can't see your phone it tries wifi - and if that doesn't work you just get the little "offline" icon popping up.

Only niggle is that is seems to want you to reconfirm the wifi password on your phone, before it'll work.

i.e. First time on wifi and you forget your phone, it then makes you go and find it to retype the password, before your watch will work.

No idea if it's a glitch or some security feature I can't work out..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Time for a new moto 360 vs Apple watch review

Both have now had software updates, both have bedded in for a while and most people own neither. How about it, El Reg?

4. Phil W

Improvements

I have a Sony Smartwatch 3, however I only got it after the 5.1.1 update was released so I'm not entirely sure of the feature changes.

One thing I believe was added in 5.1.1 is the ability to use Android Wear as a stand alone music player with Google Play Music. Pair bluetooth headphones with the watch and you can use it independently of the phones to listen to music you've download to the watch. Handy for runners or cyclists who do not want to carry a bulky smartphone with them on their route perhaps, may also be useful for swimmers with water resistant earphones, I plan to try this once I have the earphones.*

Also as for the Cloud Sync, it can be handy for the same reason, lack of bulk. I have a Note 3 so occasionally I want to take it out of my pocket for some activity but still want notifications. If you want to leave your phone behind, then use the mute option on the watch (swipe down from the watchface and tap the bell) and it won't interrupt.

*N.B. If you're thinking of trying this check the water resistance/IP rating of your watch first. Mine is IP68 rated, and while I'd prefer a proper ISO water resistance rating as used on normal watches IP68 is high enough that I'm willing to risk it. Many other Android Wear watches are only IP57 rated, I would not recommend swimming with these.

1. PleebSmash
      Mushroom

Re: Improvements

"Pair bluetooth headphones with the watch and you can use it independently of the phones to listen to music you've download to the watch."

It's an iPod Nano!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Improvements

With GPS and NFC wallet, amd a display in something that fits on your wrist.

I'm really pleased with my Smartwatch 3. It does everything I want. I even find my phones battery is 30% longer lasting since getting the SW3

2. Phuq Witt

Just. No

"...you can use it independently of the phones to listen to music you've download to the watch. Handy for runners or cyclists..."

Not having a death wish, I prefer not to deliberately block up my ears while out running or cycling. I find the more senses available to me for detecting inattentive drivers, the better.

Maybe there are no cars where you live?

1. *jr*

Re: Just. No

Only electric ones?

5. tony72

Sometimes it's the small things

I put myself in the "not any time soon" category as far as buying a smartwatch is concerned. However, I do keep my shopping list on Google Keep, and it is a minor PITA having to walk around Tesco with phone in hand, and keep having to wake it up and unlock it to check the list. So the idea of using Keep on a smartwatch in always-on mode instead, small thing though it is, is a feature that I would probably use and appreciate regularly. Same thing goes for navigation; I always feel a little bit vulnerable walking around busy streets phone in hand, when using maps, the phone could easily be knocked out of your hand; it might be a better option using something securely strapped to your wrist.

It's not a "killer app, not enough to make me go and pay full price for a latest-generation expensive Android watch anyway, but I'm definitely edging towards getting one if I saw a really good deal on a not-quite-cutting-edge model.

1. AceRimmer

Re: Sometimes it's the small things

Use this to keep your screen on whilst shopping:

Keep Screen on App

Or (potentially stupid option alert) use trusted places in the security settings so that when you're in Tescos your phone lock is deactivated.

Or go full techno-hog and use tescos online shopping and get it delivered.

2. ZillaOfManilla

Re: Sometimes it's the small things

Not sure as I have enabled the Smart Lock feature and can't remember how to lock my phone when at home, but can't you pin keep and therefore have it always there when phone it locked?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/ho-to-pin-apps-in-android-5-lollipop/#!

Going to try at my next shopping trip.

6. 1Rafayal

I used a Samsung gear for work and it helped me quite a lot.

However, it's the power consumption of these devices that I think make them impractical for use day in, day out when you are not near a power supply...

7. kdh0009

Has the wearables market matured already?

It does seem as though there are plenty of people (citation needed), considering whether to upgrade or change to a new type of smartwatch - whilst the masses look on wondering why on earth they would need such a thing.

Have we already reached the saturation point, as with tablets, where there are no first time buyers left?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Has the wearables market matured already?

There are so many things that you can buy, but not everybody wants.

But smartwatches seem to compel people to post on the internet statements about how they don't see the point of it. What's special about smartwatches that many people feel the need to declare their disinterest?

I don't feel compelled to tell people that I don't think I'll ever need a nose ring. Or one of those little hoop things that stretch your earlobe. Or Vibram running shoes.....

1. Mark 65

What's special about smartwatches that many people feel the need to declare their disinterest?

They're for wankers?

I think the word "wanker" would better apply to someone who was so self-centric that they believe that something they don't have a need for must be for wankers.

1. Mark 65

I think the word "wanker" would better apply to someone who was so self-centric that they believe that something they don't have a need for must be for wankers.

Nah, they're definitely for wankers.

2. Eponymous Cowherd
          Coat

I think you are confusing smartwatches with Audis......

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are so many things that you can buy, but not everybody wants.

Well said sir/Madam.

As an old lefty (broad left) and a bit of a luddite, I do not want :-

- anything on my wrist

- Streaming Music

- Any social media services like Facebook, Twitter etc. If I care what you had for brekkie. got it!

- Adverts of any kind. I don't need anyone telling me what I should buy (that's the scrooge in me coming out)

Any islands in the sun going cheap? That seems to be the only way I can avoid the above items these days.

3. AceRimmer

"But smartwatches seem to compel people to post on the internet statements about how they don't see the point of it."

Like the original iPad?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm so glad I received a smart watch as my elder brothers Tim, Sergey and Larry always know where I am and what I'm doing.

Uncle Satya is still working on the one he plans to give me for Christmas, he's building it himself using an old floorboard and the bits left over from the broken family grandfather clock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh PS

I'm not taking the one cousin Zucky is offering as that last time he gave me something it took two weeks to clear up and got me sacked.

1. Irongut
        Pint

Have a beer AC. I'm still laughing, especially at the Zucky comment.

9. Yugguy

So it's a front end to my phone with a TINY screen?

Can't say that appeals really.

1. Yugguy

Re: So it's a front end to my phone with a TINY screen?

No kids, that's what it is. It's a TINY-screened version of my phone with even shitter battery life.

And no amount of vote downs will change that.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: So it's a front end to my phone with a TINY screen?

@ Yugguy: "It's a TINY-screened version of my phone with even shitter battery life."

If you're using it that way, you're using it wrong, and you certainly won't be satisfied with it. It's (whether we're talking Android Wear or Apple Watch or Pebble) a completely different use-case than your phone, they just happen to need a phone* to work right now.

* usually (some don't, and they're even worse)

10. apbarratt

What's the watch face pictured

Hi Alun,

Out of interest, what's the name of the watch face you've shown in your images?

11. hatti
    Coat

Wrist data

So from the picture then, 95% of the wearers body is covered in 264 freckles

12. Irongut

Bugs in the current implementation aside the WiFi feature sounds useful to me. When I'm at home my phone usually sits in the same place in the front room, if I'm in another room I don't always hear notifications or it ring. I would be well outside Bluetooth range so notifications coming to my watch via WiFi would be useful.

It sounds like smartwatches are getting better but they still aren't worth the price to me. Maybe in another year or two if they can improve the battery life.

, if I'm in another room I don't always hear notifications or it ring. I would be well outside Bluetooth range

Very large house then, or some thick stone walls. I've tested the Bluetooth range of a pebble (ewhich uses both BT and BTLE) beyond 30 metres. The WiFi function is more useful in an office or industry environment.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OPINION: ZenWatch is the most attractive Smart Watch

The ZenWatch is a great looking watch, especially when compared to the thick Moto 360. One cautionary note: DO NOT USE ZENWATCH MANAGER APP! The 'find my watch' feature erroneously shows the watch as disconnected when it really isn't. ASUS really screwed this up. Otherwise great watch that looks good.

14. SniperPenguin

Still a crap battery life

Hence why it isn't much use as an everyday watch (where you may not be near your charger each evening).

This is why I use Pebble Time (got it from the Kickstarter) - The battery life gives me a week easy, and the primary function is to be a WATCH before all else. An ability to control your phones music remotely (Amazon and Play are the two I remember) and use / mute / reply to notifications based on App filtering means it does what I want it to do (save me pulling out my phone when it isnt necessary).

I know it's not for all, but it works for me. Plus I can have LCARS as a watchface :-D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still a crap battery life

ZenWatch gets you two full days of battery life. ZenWatch 2 claims it will have 4 days. Not bad.

15. Tony Paulazzo

Well, I can tell you why I'm not buying one: Amazon US $184, Amazon UK £179 - and I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing nearly 200 quids worth of either innovation or technology.

16. simonb_london

Rash decision

Just looking at what the thing did to that guy's wrist I think I'll give it a miss.

17. Chika
    Holmes

Rhubarb

Sorry but I doubt I'll be going this way any time soon. I rarely ever wear a proper watch - there's a clock on my desktop system, there's a clock on the wall, there's a clock on my phone, there's a clock in my car, there are clocks all over the place.

If I want to use the functionality of my smartphone, then I'm going to use my smartphone. I'm not spending the best part of £200 to have something on my wrist that does the same thing that my smartphone does, just as I don't pay out for even a cheap watch to tell me the time.

The article says that the various companies involved aren't having a great time selling smartwatches? Gee, I wonder why?

18. Howard Hanek
    Holmes

Reality Bites

Dick Tracy's wrist radio worked EVERY TIME in the comics.

Don't the watch users realize that paying for the privilege of being beta testers is NOT cool? The tech companies promote that philosophy because tech people really ARE stupid in many ways.

19. Sleep deprived
    Happy

[...] yelling “OK Google” at your watch to get its attention.

Can it be changed to "HAL..." ?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: [...] yelling “OK Google” at your watch to get its attention.

Can it be changed to HAL?

Oblig answer

"I'm sorry Dave I can't allow that!"

20. Javapapa

Waiting for bendable wrist cuff

Like the military use. I usually know exactly where I am, but it would be so cool to tap the map to confirm airstrike targeting. Or summon Uber.

21. David Paul Morgan
    FAIL

I know I don't watch much 'live' TV...

... but /what/ adverts? I cannot recall seeing any advert (tv, billboard) for these products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like