back to article Teradata Hadoop appliances now under a little Cloudera cover

Teradata has updated its Hadoop appliance with support for Cloudera Hadoop as well as Hortonworks' distribution, and given it a Haswell go-faster booster – and all this on top of a widening of the configuration options. Teradata Appliance for Hadoop v5 uses Intel Haswell CPU tech and is, Teradata said, "optimised for intensive …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop the Press...

One irrelevant technology now works with another irrelevant technology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop the Press...

LOL...

First, Hadoop isn't irrelevant.

But anyone who's done the TCO of owning an appliance... its a joke. Then there's the logistics since Teradata is tier 1 and tier 2 support. Not Cloudera nor Hortonworks. Not to mention that Teradata also has a deal with MapR.

Teradata, SAS, IBM, Oracle... all trying to make legacy systems relevant. (Which most still are...)

In terms of vendors... we're waiting to see what happens during the Cloudera and Hortonworks battle.

Then we may see a legacy vendor buy out the winner and/or MapR. Of course there's Databricks and Typesafe now starting to pop up on people's radar. My money is on Typesafe getting acquired first.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmm....

So that's largely/fully (depending on flavor chosen) open source software designed to run on lots and lots of cheap x86 nodes connected via ethernet running on a few expensive nodes connected by expensive infiniband, supported by a vendor with little/no hand in developing the software?

I think I'll pass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like