back to article Hacked Hacking Team team – like everyone in security – read The Register

Hacking Team CEO David Vincenzetti and his staff were avid readers of The Register, frequently recommending our articles to one another. A trawl through the company's email records, which were hacked and revealed to the world this week, reveals that Vincenzetti ran something of an in-house news service in which his researchers …

1. David 132 Silver badge
    FAIL

Hubris.

As ever, an appropriate Pratchett quote:

"When gods get together they tell the story of one particular planet whose inhabitants watched, with mild interest, huge continent-wrecking slabs of ice slap into another world which was, in astronomical terms, right next door – and then did nothing about it because that sort of thing only happens in Outer Space. An intelligent species would at least have found someone to complain to. Anyway, no one seriously believes in that story, because a race quite that stupid would never even have discovered slood." (Last Continent)

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Hubris.

Hi, David 132.

Talking of things too good to be true and the blindness of hubris, is this comment on the "Insanity on the Thames" .... and in all Thames House type barracks too whenever not for real in the virtual know ..... in full agreement with that APT Pratchett quote.

Friday afternoon beer testing watering hole is where, El Reg? There's much to know and share.

1. Mayhem

Re: Hubris.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or depressed that Amanfrommars has a blog.

Mind you, it probably drags the average clarity and comprehensibility of the blogosphere up by a fractional percentage.

2. PleebSmash
    Big Brother

here's your thread

If you work for Hacking Team, reply right here.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. tfewster
      Joke

Re: here's your thread

Not me, but I knew that one commentard worked for them - s/he was downvoting schadenfreude posts in the other thread!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

I'm just READING the thread, yet I am sure I can hear the black heli............................

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If you work for Hacking Team, reply right here."

It did cross my mind that El Reg might want to check their commentard logs to see if anyone has "disappeared" recently, what with being a bit too busy to post comments anymore.

3. Mark 85

I think Sophocles hit it dead on...

"Those whom the gods would destroy they first make proud."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think Sophocles hit it dead on...

Any idea what the delay is? I was rather proud in 1993. Since then, not so much.

1. Mark 85

Maybe the god's decided to go play with someone else.. Besides "rather proud" might not be at the level these guys were... or HBGary... or Sony... or the US Government...

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

If they were 'proud' before are they now 'impotent' ?

2. Justicesays
      Headmaster

"Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad"

1. Mark 85
        Headmaster

That is Euripides version.

1. Justicesays
          Headmaster

There is no Euripides version...

You may be thinking of

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/AFZ9616.0001.001/250?rgn=subject;view=image;q1=Daniel+--++Biblical+figure

And the closest thing in Antigone is

"By far the greatest part of happiness is wisdom. We must not ever act impiously

toward the gods. Proud words of arrogant men receive harsh punishments...

old age learns at the last to be wise."

1. Dan Paul

Hey, if Euripides, Emendates!

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Holmes

Reading...

... is one thing.

Understanding what you read is something else.

Icon: "You have seen, but you have not observed".

5. wowfood

Pride comes before a fall

(should have also been scars last words to mufassa)

1. Justicesays
      Headmaster

Re: Pride comes before a fall

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like