back to article Rogue IT is shadow of its former self

“Rogue IT” - the practice of business units secretly sidestepping the IT department to procure their own tech - is in decline. But only because business units are now openly buying their own technology solutions, this time in collaboration with their counterparts in IT. The findings, reported in the June 2015 CompTIA study …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. K

"rogue IT carries on as per usual"

IT Ops and Dev are 95% responsible for defining the software stack where I work.. but then as the senior IT bod, I really don't give a shit, as long as

1) It works

2) It is legal

3) Its secure

4) Its reliable

5) It addresses a need

Just recently a member of the team figured our CPUs were massively under-utilised and our Citrix boxes had excess GPU capacity. so we installed some bitcoin mining.

It works, its legal, its reliable, and its secured our summer junket whilst addressing our beer fund needs!

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "rogue IT carries on as per usual"

"Just recently a member of the team figured our CPUs were massively under-utilised and our Citrix boxes had excess GPU capacity. so we installed some bitcoin mining."

And you squared the Estates people about the increase in the electricity bill?

2. mhoneywell

Re: "rogue IT carries on as per usual"

Brilliant. I really hope that's true

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

Someone should tell the ass-hats I work for. Management that don't give a crap about the IT infrastructure and view Security as a massive boil on their arses that needs lancing. They are always sidestepping the IT department. If I have to look at another box of shite that someone has bought with no thought how to maintain let alone patch (usually because it was "cheap").....

4. Mark 85

Some places maybe have learned a lesson?

After Sony, Target, and others, I'm wondering of some management types think it's time to actually go through the channels and let IT take the blame if stuff suddenly starts disappearing. Or maybe they're just hiding they "shadow" better.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like