back to article E3 2015 in a nutshell: Hurry up Hoth, and plenty to Unravel

The E3 2015 press conferences have been and gone, leaving us to consider what to make of the gameplay and teaser footage shown-off by Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Square Enix. Which devs had us out of our seats and which were faced with an awkward silence? Fallout 4 One man and his dog: Fallout 4 due …

1. dogged

Oh be fair. MS did more than Minecraft with Hololens. They also did this.

Hololens Halo 5 demo

2. Mike Brown

The only reason i had not to buy a PS4 was taken from me at E3. Those bastards at sony finally gave it a media player. Damn them. I was quite happy with my ps3, smugly watching films and playing the occasional game. Now they are going to force me to upgrade, and then im going to have buy fallout 4, batman and battlefront. Scumbags....

1. auburnman

Oh bollocks, Batman comes out tomorrow! There's no way I'm going to beat the last boss of BloodBorne in only a day.

3. lansalot

Umm.. Ghost Recon Wildlands? That was the winner for me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does this mean?

"Knights, Vikings and Samurai are all playable is a mash-up that looks almost as intriguing as Ubisoft’s Jason VandenBerghe"

This makes as much sense as:..

./nfs/shared/ai/LE_ai3_test3.py for

=========================================================

LE_ai3_test3.py 0.0 - 2011/07/28

Prompt word is: for

Prompt word found: 'for' Tkey: 8204 Score: 14

Searching for start of sentence

8204 14 0 14 for

195064 1 0 1 As,

Start of sentence found

Searching for end of sentence

8204 14 0 14 the

8204 14 0 14 first

53428 5 0 5 time

22258 1 0 1 Pooh

22259 1 0 1 and

22214 2 0 2 his

201825 1 0 1 staff

201826 1 0 1 were

201827 1 0 1 well

218911 1 0 1 worth

218912 1 0 1 unusual

218913 1 0 1 regarding.

End of sentence found

As, for the first time Pooh and his staff were well worth unusual regarding.

or...

./nfs/shared/ai/LE_ai3_test3.py hurry

Prompt word is: hurry

Prompt word found: 'hurry' Tkey: 78669 Score: 2

Searching for start of sentence

78669 2 0 2 hurry

79199 1 0 1 same

79198 1 0 1 that

79197 1 0 1 but

223095 1 0 1 suspected;

223094 1 0 1 himself

223093 1 0 1 confess

223092 1 0 1 not

223091 1 0 1 will

223090 1 0 1 He

Start of sentence found

Searching for end of sentence

78669 2 0 2 of

78669 2 0 2 my

187534 1 0 1 endeavours

187535 1 0 1 to

59651 1 0 1 keep

66895 4 0 4 him

66896 2 0 2 from

104063 4 0 4 the

146898 1 0 1 cylinders.

End of sentence found

He will not confess himself suspected; but that same hurry of my endeavours to keep him from the cylinders.

My intention was to write a gibberish generator but it looks like I accidentally wrote an El Reg article generator instead (it just strings word triplets together, based upon a simple scoring system; the first triplet is used in its entirety, which is why its key is displayed three times).

1. dogged

Re: What does this mean?

Needs more Beeeeeeeellions.

2. Stuart Elliott

What, you couldn't determine that the word IN was accidentally transposed with IS instead?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If the 'i' and 's' key were adjacent I might have indeed assumed so, and then just further assumed that Ubisoft’s Jason VandenBerghe is clearly and widely known to be intriguing. Those keys aren't though, and I'd not previously heard anything to suggest that Jason VandenBerghe was notoriously intriguing either.

5. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

I hope Doom is due out well into 2Q2016

..if it's mostly complete in its current form, it's going to suck.

It's pretty, but it looks closer to Quake than Doom, there's too much stupid spawning of monsters and it's not sufficiently dark and menacing. It's like a slightly more grungy version of Quake 3..

1. auburnman

Re: I hope Doom is due out well into 2Q2016

The people who still want to play DOOM are already playing DOOM. The original is still being supported with hi-res texture packs, top notch map packs and mods by the community.

The 'modern' era graphic DOOM games can't hold a candle to them, especially when they discard the original virtue of throwing you straight into the action for various cutscenes with various people you don't care about gurning at the camera, trying to lay down story rationales more complicated than 'Kill all the baddies.'

1. Zmodem

Re: I hope Doom is due out well into 2Q2016

doom 4 stole the show, and it just the same as original doom games like id said they were doing

probably for 18 years + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljpBwguIqos

6. Banksy

Nintendo Direct

I must be in the minority of 1 that thought the Nintendo Direct was quite fun/mental, more than the other conferences I saw. I can't see what the NX will bring (assuming it's a home console) unless they look to match or exceed the power of PS4/Xbone because otherwise Nintendo will still be reliant on first/second party titles. The only other hope is to have a less gimmicky control interface but again this will need a higher powered/traditional console.

I don't think they'll do any of the above.

Also Deus Ex needs to get here now as well as Cyberpunk 2077.

A little bit of sex wee came out at the end of the SW:Battlefront trailer but then I remembered it is mainly online multiplayer, which I'm not particularly into.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bethesda uses paid actors

"Whooping and hollering greeted every moment of the Fallout 4 reveal trailer."

Sounds like paid actors. :(

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Bethesda uses paid actors

It certainly sounded awkward in the stream.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Gimp

Re: Bethesda uses paid actors

I am shocked, SHOCKED to see that there is astroturfing going on on these premises!

Also

> Mirror's Edge

> On a console

Sorry, I am not differently abled. When will the PC version come out?

8. poopypants

Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2 are the only two games shown at E3 that I am actively looking forward to.

Why? Because they tell interesting stories.

9. Hans 1
    Coffee/keyboard

>I've already told the missus she'll not see me again when the 17th November rolls around and Luke Skywalker comes knocking.

Thanks, made my day! Same here, same here ...

10. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

What about Indistinguishable Sequel 5?

leaving a card-battling Elder Scrolls game and Fallout Shelter for mobiles as the truly new titles

So tired rehashes of existing series count as "truly new" now, eh?

Thank goodness for the independent studios. At least they're willing to sponsor a little creativity.

And, I have to say, I watched the Unravel presentation on Youtube, and I'd rather see a hundred Sahlins, honest and sincere and enthusiastic about their work, than sit through one professional presenter trying to convince me his company's flavor of the week is life-changing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like