back to article Furious Flems fling privacy rule book at Facebook

Belgium has made good on its promise to take action over Facebook’s privacy breaches, and will haul Zuck's ad empire into court on Thursday. A recent report for the Commission de Protection de la Vie Privée (CPVP) said Facebook trampled users’ rights, tracking them across the web whether they want it or not. Unable to fine the …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Don't worry facebook - TiSA will save you

The secret trade deal will, by all accounts, let facebook abuse everyone's personal data. Big business seems to know what is going into this while those affected by it (ie us) will be kept in the dark until it is too late and the politicians can retire on various 'contributions'.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_in_Services_Agreement

https://wikileaks.org/tisa/

2. Uberseehandel

Please Cut Out The Cutesie Headlines

"Furious Flems" - what about all the non-Flemish, possibly equally furious residents of Belgium (they are called Walloons)?

The endless pursuit of punning and double-entre laden headlines grows wearisome very very quickly. Apart from anything else, it is infantile.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Please Cut Out The Cutesie Headlines

" (they are called Walloons)?

The endless pursuit of punning and double-entre laden headlines grows wearisome"

So it should have been Furious Flems and Wearied Walloons?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

When I lived in Belgium, my Flemish friends told me that they were called the Cloggies, and the Walloons were obviously the Froggies.

So would you be happier with furious froggies and cheesed off cloggies?

3. Jim 59

The endless pursuit of punning and double-entre laden headlines grows wearisome very very quickly. Apart from anything else, it is infantile.

THIS.

It has also become almost aggressively unfunny. Criticizing the Register feels like arguing with an old friend, but I say it for your own good: I now don't read most register stories because the headline is too baffling. I am not going to click on the story and read 3 paras just to see what the story is about. I will just go to another site. Do you understand ? A dead boring headline would be better than a failed, meaningless, "funny" one.

Again: * if a witty headline doesn't suggest itself then just put a boring but clear one in *

Eg. El Reg says: "Bezos' bozos swing ban-hammer at media player". Right. I don't care. Story unread. Pardon my rudeness.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Jim 59,

The problem with humour is that everyone's is slightly different. So there's always going to be some gags that don't appeal to you, or actively piss you off. See the Exclamation! Marks! After! Every! Word! In! Yahoo! Headlines! - which really gets some peoples' collective goats.

The subbies tend to write the headlines, so there's fewer people at El Reg towers making the awful puns, that write the stories. If those couple of people don't share your sense of humour then that's bad. Plus subbies love alliteration. It seems to be unstoppable.

I guess the other problem is that you get a culture that builds up, with its own in jokes. Again, if you didn't like these the first time, you're going to be a very unhappy bunny by the 532nd.

So genuinely if you find the snark and silliness annoys you, you probably are better off elsewhere. That is the Register house style after all.

As for that story 'Amazon bans media player' isn't that hard to divine surely? Then you click on it if you're interested in Amazon, media players or whater. I wasn't, so didn't. I'm afraid I rather liked "Bezos Bozos" and don't think they've used that for Amazon before, and hope they now will in future. And I'm not even a subbie...

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Mushroom

"Apart from anything else, it is infantile."

You know the old lady who gets on the bus with a cake on her head, and smells of wee ?

That's your girlfriend that is.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The endless pursuit of punning and double-entre laden headlines grows wearisome very very quickly. "

Other web publications are available for those who don't like the things that make The Register what it is.

Shocking, truly shocking.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

As I said to Chancellor Metternich, at the Congress of Strasbourg, "Poo to you! With knobs on!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like