back to article Renault Kadjar: La Regie's new full-sized, inexplicably named SUV

It’s surprising that Renault has taken so long to make this car; a Gallicised version of the Nissan Qashqai, an SUV that’s been selling like hot cakes in the UK for a good few years. What we have here then is a variation on the theme of what the Renault-Nissan Alliance thinks a soft-roader should be. kadjar_red_side El Reg …

1. Antonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Kadjar

Pronounced cadger?

2. Al Taylor

kadjar

think ajar with an added k

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4x4

That is a work 4x4, you have to be joking. A Chelsea tractor yes, a working 4x4 no.

What is it now a days that every 4x4 has to look the same as a car used about town. I would hate to take that up some if the mountain tracks around here (Pyrenees) for fear of the cost of panel replacement when they get dented, as they would. Such is 'progress' beyond the utility vehicle, aca Land Rover, of the past.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: 4x4

"aca Land Rover, of the past"". Forgive me for saying it but sometimes it seems to me that there is nothing like the past in the English soul. So I give you something from the past, French as this article is about a French car, Jay Leno because he is able to speak about cars as cars without fucking himself up with dumb nationalistic shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzW_ERSgFRY

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4x4

"Such is 'progress' beyond the utility vehicle, aca Land Rover, of the past."

What 'yer getting yer knickers in a twist for? 98% of these will be 2WD, so family hatchbacks with fractionally higher ground clearance than a similarly sized Golf. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

4. K

Final product compared to the design art-work

Is always a disappointment... I've yet to see a car that comes supplied with the actual wheels that the either the design-artwork or concept car actually had.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Final product compared to the design art-work

From memory, wasn't the BMW i8 very close to the concept art?

5. x 7

I didn't realise that Renault were the oldest car manufacturer in the world, but now you've said it (" a victim of the range cull in early 1212 ") I can see that a lot of their models do look fairly old. 900+ years of continuous production - thats a heck of a record. Shame they never managed to understand the word "reliability" in all that time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"900+ years of continuous production - thats a heck of a record"

The range cull in early 1212 was due to a general recall of saddles due to defective stirrups, causing a major loss of confidence in the products of La Régie, as it was known then. Of course, in those days all their products were 4x4.

6. Frenchie Lad

Full-Sized My A--e sorry Foot!

Full sized SUVs are over 5 metres long, think GL for one. There are of course the medium sized ones such as ML, Range Rover Sport. This one is small.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Diesel option? appeal to Surburban types?

Better not venture into Islington (the People's republic of) in N. London with one. They are very anti-diesel, even the latest Euro 6 spec engine.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not convinced.

To me the car looks like a candle that's been left in the sun for too long, and is just beginning to sag and lose shape. Unfortunately the interior is pure Renault - acres of plastic that isn't really good enough for the price being asked.

It's tough if you absolutely have to buy a car at the price point; you know you're not going to get any sort of design or beauty.

9. x 7

"It's tough if you absolutely have to buy a car at the price point"

No its not - you buy something cheaper and then spec it up

10. ecofeco Silver badge

Renault?

I'm seeing a re-badged Mazda. Not saying it is, just what it looks like to me.

1. x 7

Re: Renault?

" re-badged Mazda"

No, thats whats known in the rest of the world as a Ford

11. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well that was a bit of a wasted opportunity

Given that this is El Reg, where's the video going through the Android-based infotainment system?

Or at the very least a wireshark dump saying exactly how much and where it phones home to.

12. nsld

Needs a more appropriate name

Rather than Kadger how about Todger to reflect the nature of the people taking this kind of thing on the school run?

Lets hope you dont want to tow any of your sports equipment with this SUV either, given the pointless engine choices its going to be next to useless to drag anything around.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Needs a more appropriate name

It is just a mid sized car with small engines.

No different to many other school run cars

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Needs a more appropriate name

Unfortunately, Cash Cow was already taken by Nissan. A car which has been sadly lacking in reviews which state:- "Looks like a cow, moves like a cow, steers like a fish..."

13. MJI Silver badge

Based on a Nissan

At least not the Puke.

But some fool took legal action against Top Gear for calling the source car a Kumquat.

The the Kadjar is a French Kumquat

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is turd brown even available as a paint colour?

15. Sir Gaz of Laz

For a minute there I thought it was...

...a Mazda CX-7.

16. John 62

You know, I never even noticed the death of the Laguna.

17. Super Fast Jellyfish

French launch

Shame you didn't get an invite to the French press session I saw a couple of weeks ago - they got lunch at http://www.chassagnette.fr

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon