back to article Cops turn Download Festival into an ORWELLIAN SPY PARADISE

As if being ankle deep in a muddy field, surrounded by pretend hippies seemingly re-enacting highlights of the Battle of Waterloo was bad enough, attendees of the aptly named Download Festival will be subjected to a new police facial recognition system, and surveillance of their onsite location and expenditure via the debut of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Eugh

"The only way to get around the festival and pay for stuff is to use this system. It’s not possible to opt out of this."

Not a great leap from this to what was always my main concern about a national electronic ID system - the eventuality that a card would be needed for every little transaction.

Why not just stamp people at birth and be done with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eugh

stamping at birth is currently not supported by the system, due to some unwelcome past associations certain individuals (read: voters) might have. But with the passage of time... let's boil this frog when we get there, shall we?

2. Rich 11

RFID wristband

The Number of the Beast!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Big Brother

More like the Number of the State, which is often associated with Leviathan, the Biblical Sea Monster. "Social Contract Theory" my arse.

2. Yugguy

Rev13:16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark

1. AbelSoul
          1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
            Stop

Re: they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark

And of course it's not true: http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/barcode.asp

1. Wilseus

And also, 666 isn't the correct "number of the beast" anyway. It's 616.

2. Yugguy

Of course the Beast will be revealed to be the United States of Europe, and the mark will be a universal ID smart card, without which you will not be able to buy, sell or communicate.

YOU LAUGH NOW BUT WHEN IT ALL GOES TO COCK I SHALL BE THE ONE LAUGHING...

3. SEDT

That would be amazing. Truly truly amazing. But a quick check through the EAN13 barcodes that I use and not a '6' is to be seen. Nice idea though, very dramatic!

3. Intractable Potsherd

"The Number of the Beast!" Of course it is - it's a dog-tag!

3. h3

If you cover your entire body with mud maybe that would work ?

1. h4rm0ny

I doubt covering your body in mud would work. But I know what would:

People refusing en masse to go to the festival unless the facial recognition and surveillance is removed. This would instantly end it at that festival. Not sure what the critical mass would need to be to achieve this. A third of people to a half would be my wild estimate. And it wont matter if the tickets are already sold or not, people walking away from it in large numbers would have this effect.

Rock / Alternative types fancy themselves misfits and rebels, do they not? They have a definite and real way they could stick it to the Man if they did this.

Or they can wander around knowing their every movement is being tracked and their faces scanned by cameras. Up to them.

1. Smallbrainfield

Alternative types are often the most conformist, despite their appearance. Not all are of course, but I suspect most people will waive their right to privacy in this case.

I imagine Glastonbury would face more of a backlash due to it's size and the fact it's sold as being a bit alternative and hippy (despite the fact it isn't any more). Reading and Leeds might go for it, depends on what sort of backlash they got on Tw*tter or F*cebook.

Currently as I type, the tw*tter stream is filled fill starving Download punters as their RFID payment system isn't working. So I guess it's sorted itself out.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

are cops looking for drugs or what?

illegal highs ftw

5. Jake Maverick

DNA is already being taken at birth and has been for over a decade....DNA sniffers do exist, RFID are in implants, injections given....likely being trialled at birth stage at least, they just don't want you to know about it.

2. Alexander Hanff 1

So Download Festival are trying to go bankrupt?

WTF would anyone even consider attending this festival with this level of surveillance?

1. Someonehasusedthathandle

Re: So Download Festival are trying to go bankrupt?

Ignorance, blissful ignorance....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

because they're short-sighted, and they can't see past their nose. Do they care when using gmail? Do they care about cookies and other tracking? Do we care about the cameras at every corner? Do we care that your movements are tracked as your mobile hops from tower to tower? Do we care that our agencies can track you online and offline with no real oversight? Baaaa... I'd better go back to my job, got a mortage to pay...

1. NateGee

The RFID system was only announced *after* the tickets had already gone on sale.

I'm more than a little ticked off about it all.

1. TheVogon

"The RFID system was only announced *after* the tickets had already gone on sale.

I'm more than a little ticked off about it all."

I think you might need to encourage lots of your fellow festival goers to go play with a Tesla Coil. That should do the job....

2. bhuseren

I would not have have bought a ticket for Download Festival if I had known in advance about the cashless system and the level of surveillance that it meant I would have been subject to. I am utterly opposed to any cashless system. And why do I need to be watched while I'm enjoying myself???? I intend to boycott Download in future if they think this is the way forward. I am a peaceful person and resent this intrusion into my life. Get off my back Big Brother, shove your surveillance

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth

When considering a new system that involves money, think not how it would work, but how it could go wrong.

This system is an absolute dream come true for the small-time fraudster and grifter. All they need is a small RFID sniffer, an RFID programmer and a supply of RFID tags that look a bit like the ones the organisers have.

Once in the festival, the grifter gets his RFID sniffer going then goes looking for people who look a bit richer than normal festival goers; designer clothing and so on, and walks past them. His RFID sniffer grabs the codes, which in the privacy of his tent he puts onto some more RFID tags, which he sells to willing stooges to try out. When he finds one that is loaded with cash and is an access-most-areas tag, he duplicates lots of them and sells 'em for lots of cash (cash will of course still be present, so people can buy drugs).

Pretty soon the guy who had his tag sniffed finds he ain't rich any more and the festival organisers want to have a quiet word with him, along with all of his clones...

This is how this system will break, mark my words.

2. grendel666h

Nope, I don't care!

3. John Lilburne

Says someone who is most likely carrying about an Android or Apple snoop phone.

1. AceRimmer

"Says someone who is most likely carrying about an Android or Apple snoop phone."

Both are still optional devices

I can, if I want to; dump my phone and get a working unregistered burner for less than £20 cash

1. John Lilburne

"Both are still optional devices"

Try telling that to some teen. You'll find that these are only optional device to those above a certain age. To anyone younger they are items that are absolutely required unless you want to be laying on the ground with some bigger kid pummelling you.

2. Alexander Hanff 1

@John Lilburne And oh how wrong you are on that one - nice try though.

4. yossarianuk

The same reason people voted Tory - idiocy/ignorance of reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Come on now, you're out of college now. Your student union mates won't look down on you if you vote Tory any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: voting Tory

Sadly that's probably true: I do seem to meet more astonishingly gullible and naive people than ever before. They are often pleasant and intelligent in most ways, but they do seem to regard reality as being of purely academic interest as if they will never have to live there.

They just seem to find it easier to say "yes" to whatever they are told, a bit like innocent people who confess to a crime they haven't committed and think "It will all be sorted out later". But by whom? Not someone like them!

2. Ted Treen

You mean a vote for Miliband would have shown great intelligence and deep understanding of reality?

Or is it a case of anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot and away with the fairies?

Thought so.

3. Yugguy

What the sweet buggering fuckwank does this subject have to do with the general election?

1. Wilseus

"What the sweet buggering fuckwank does this subject have to do with the general election?"

Nothing. Nothing at all. But that doesn't usually stop your typical Labour shill from bringing up the subject at every opportunity.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe because when we bought our tickets, there was no mention of it

6. Intractable Potsherd

"WTF would anyone even consider attending this any festival with this level of surveillance ever?*

* Genuinely sorry to those who go to festivals, but I have an absolute horror of these things. I cannot understand what the fun is is in standing in a crowd of unwashed, off-their-heads people in the cold and wet whilst someone pisses on your tent. Standing in the cold and wet is only to be done when rally cars are involved :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I cannot understand what the fun is is in standing in a crowd of unwashed, off-their-heads people in the cold and wet whilst someone pisses on your tent.

High chance of getting laid. Then again...

> Standing in the cold and wet is only to be done when rally cars are involved

...what would you know about that?

>:-)

3. cantankerous swineherd

yuck

creepy.

4. Caff

Panopticon Festival!!!

So you pay a good 200 quid to camp in a field, and then they collect marketing data on your for 3 days solid selling it on to the highest bidder?

Come listen to music in our panopticon!!

1. cosmogoblin

Re: Panopticon Festival!!!

Not exactly accurate... The Panopticon is a system where you COULD be surveilled at any time, but you don't know WHEN you're surveilled.

With this system, and those to come, you know you're ALWAYS being surveilled.

The Panopticon was devised in an era when humans had to do all the surveilling themselves. In that respect, it was actually a much friendlier system (albeit fictional).

1. Captain Hogwash
        Headmaster

Re: fictional

Presidio Modelo

1. cosmogoblin

Re: fictional

Huh. I stand corrected!

2. Jake Maverick

well, the whol epoint of secret/ covert cameras is that they are hidden, you can't see them

and the rfid doesn't tell you every time it logs and sends off your location

few years ago they were even caught putting cameras in urinals....supposedly to 'catch' sex offenders of course....

2. Len Goddard

Essential equipment for this festival

Well stocked piknik basket.

Camera to take pictures of things you like the look of so you can buy them elsewhere later (and probably cheaper),

V for Vengeance style Guy Fawkes mask.

Then have a good time.

1. Jim 57

Who wants to walk around with a mask on all day: google for dazzle makeup. It's not just for war ships!

2. petur

you forgot a roll of tinfoil

3. Michael Habel

A well stocked piknik basket.

So they will allow you to bring your own containers (i.e. beverages), and food. Into the event, without coercing you to use the vender's instead?! That's a first I'm sure...

5. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

nope.gif

6. Phil Kingston

Let me guess - you have to "charge" up funds to the wristband account before you can use it? A nice little interest-earner for the organiser?

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Down

And what's the chances that they'll do the same as the usual 'Points' systems, where by you can only add certain fixed amounts to your account, but purchases won't line up with these amounts so you'll always end up with some unspent that you can't get back.

(For example, see Microsoft Points for Xbox Live, which it seems they're now getting rid of, which is nice)

1. Archaon

Didn't they can the points system before XBOX One launched?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, they refund any unspent money, might even be better than previous years when I've come back with unspent beer tokens.. Apart from the surveillance bit, but as you're either in the arena or not, there's not a lot of tracking they can do with that.

And realistically how much difference is it to using a debit card - they know where you've spent all your money too

3. meester

They claim unspent balances will be refunded within 2 weeks of festival end. We'll see...

4. grendel666h

You get a full refund of any unspent cash.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Unhappy

Minus interest.

1. An Ominous Cowherd
            Black Helicopters

Yeah, because the interest you'd have earned on your current account in the two weeks before they refund it would no doubt have been enough for you to buy a house and that Ferrari you've always wanted.

I think I might start selling tin foil hats on here. :-D

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Yeah, because the interest you'd have earned

Not to put words on anyone's mouth, but I took the previous comments to refer to the interest potentially earned by the organisers on the sum of the money collected from punters during those days.

7. Chris G

It's a free country

Well not for long!

As for RFID tags, it should be mandatory for them to be removed as opposed to deactivated at the point of sale.

A good case in point being thr French Sports shop Decathlon, at the checkout they always have a pair of scissors to cut out RFIDs on previously bought items that customers are wearing, because they reactivate on entering the shop.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: It's a free country @ Chris G

Many retail tags are 'burned out' at the till (never wondered why they are waved over a plastic pad on the counter that warns you not to put bank cards and mobile phones on it?).

This is supposed to permanently deactivate by destroying the tags. (tags are powered by inductive power - these pads provide so much power that it blows a fuse in the tag).

Doesn't always work, though.

Completely removing the tag would be better, but it's been suggested that many retailers would like to hide the tag so that you don't even know where it is to remove.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Many retail tags are 'burned out' at the till (never wondered why they are waved over a plastic pad on the counter that warns you not to put bank cards and mobile phones on it?).

This is supposed to permanently deactivate by destroying the tags. (tags are powered by inductive power - these pads provide so much power that it blows a fuse in the tag).

When these were first implemented at our local B&Q I was a service engineer. When we spotted the tags on kit we bought, we peeled them apart (as you do as an engineer) and quickly spotted the burnt out segment. In those days, the current was applied by two contacts that the shop assistant had to touch with a device, so we already had a vague idea that it was some sort of fuse.

We fixed the burnt out segment in a few tags, then slipped them into our boss' jacket. None of us were thus very surprised that his next visit to B&Q took a *lot* longer :)

Ah, those were the days.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Worked for the Uni library as well. Each book had a tag slipped into the spine, and when you checked out or in a book at the desk it went around the detector frame. Anyone trying to walk out through the frame with a book in their bag tripped the alarm.

It wasn't hard to tease the tags out of books with a pair of tweezers and slip them into pockets, socks, or other places on unsuspecting students.

8. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Double-edged sword

Technology like the RFID cards can be used for many purposes, both good and bad.

From the organisers perspective, using the RFID tag as a payment method reduces the amount of cash on site, so it will probably reduce some of the petty theft that happens at these events. This will benefit the customers, the people who run the concessions (they don't need to maintain cash floats), the organisers (who don't need to have cash handling facilities for the concession operators), and the Police who will probably see a reduced number of theft reports, especially if the RFID has a second factor (PIN?) to authorise payment.

It also makes sure that people only have access to what they have paid for, making it more likely that people at the festival actually pay the right price to see what they want.

Tracking people who move around is something completely different. While it will happen as a side effect of the entitlement checking, it's no different to having a barcode on a ticket, which is frequently used at attractions.

The only time it may be intrusive is if they have silent, unmarked RFID scanners scattered throughout the event, not just at the gates.

I think if I was there (which is not going to happen, partly because of these concerns), I would probably want to take a foil-lined pouch or tin to keep the tag in (depending on whether it is a wrist-band or a dog-tag, both terms are used in the article), and only take it out when it is necessary.

I don't really agree with facial recognition, but as that can be applied both in real time and in retrospect to captured CCTV video, there's not really much point in objecting to that, because it will happen anyway.

It's not that I'm paranoid (well, not that much), rather than I object to the concept of there being the ability to track me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Double-edged sword

It only benefits the people running concessions if the festival organisers don't accidentally go bankrupt after the festival and before the concessions people get their dosh. Which I bet isn't until 30/60/90/120 days post event. Read about this happening at a festival last year. Of course the 2016 festival, despite having the same name/ organisers etc will be a totally different company!

I was supposing that the concession operators balance could be accessed in a timely manner. If that is not the case, then they and their customers are effectively giving the organisers a free, high risk credit facility for no return. I would not accept the risk.

But surely, that should come under some form of regulation, because the festival could be seen as a bank without a banking license?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't really agree with facial recognition, but as that can be applied both in real time and in retrospect to captured CCTV video, there's not really much point in objecting to that, because it will happen anyway.

Is there a law against publicly wearing a Guy Fawkes mask? Otherwise I can see a good way to make some money myself at that festival :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As long as you accept payment via the RFID tags.

9. Ged T
    Big Brother

What will the police do with the images they collect?

In order to perform the facial matching, the images of individuals (there will be MANY images of each individual taken throughout the event) will need to be captured for comparison with the images held in the police "custody suite"

- Will the images captured at this event be added to that collection?

- Will the images be grouped into associative sets - What was that family doing?

- Will the event organisers get copies of those images?

- Will the images be sold, along with purchase details and any associative insight, to advertisers and marketing organisations that may bid for this info?

- What else are the event organisers and police collecting? Mobile/Smartphone records, for example?

- Will anybody attending be told of the "justified purpose" of these surveillances?

What an 'anti-citizen' state Britain has become...

1. sandman

Re: What will the police do with the images they collect?

Being pedantic, we in the UK are not citizens, we are subjects (of the Crown) - not far from subjugation eh, and getting closer every year.

1. Cheese

If we are being pedantic, then you're a bit out of date. Since 1983 (most) British nationals have been citizens (rather than subjects). Check your passport!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If we are being pedantic, then you're a bit out of date. Since 1983 (most) British nationals have been citizens (rather than subjects). Check your passport!

Yet, if I recall correctly, as a British passport holder an invitation to the Palace is apparently a summons, whereas for a foreigner like me it is only an invitation (weird stuff I discovered a while back).

2. Mark 85

You ask interesting questions for which I've seen no answer. This probably scarier than the RFID tags when one thinks about it. The tag data, while seeming like a convenience during the festival will get you targeted by advertisers. The police on the other hand will use this data for....????? Are looking for crims showing up? Terrorists? Unpaid parking ticket holders? Or filling their database?

Perhaps the answer lies in the future. This is just one event and people will shrug it off. Then there will be another and another. It won't be long before it's common practice at all events. And then it spreads into everyday life.. and the surveillance state will be complete.

1. Barn!e

Doesnt work like that. Its to stop criminals nothing to do with general public.

10. Pat M

Speaking on the part of non-food traders, this has been forced upon them after paying for their concessions, the money will hopefully be paid to them at some point after the festival. After the galtrees festival traders are very wary of these systems as any losses might end up being paid by the traders takings.

1. Caff

theft

Actually if they get paid on time it could save money for some traders. I recall seeing a few news articles over the years of traders being targeted while leaving festivals, some of them get half their years profits from the bigger ones.

They would save money carrying float ( change ) and on bank lodgement fees ( some banks charge an obscene amount for lodging coins )

1. auburnman

Re: theft

This is assuming they get paid on time and that they are not being charged for the 'privilege' of using the RFID payment system. And that it doesn't cost them to integrate with their tills.

11. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Meh

RIP Customers?

Is Hendrix on then?

12. auburnman

Disaster waiting to happen

Revellers at a festival WILL lose and/or break these on an industrial scale. Anyone willing to bet the process or stock for replacements are nonexistent or woefully inadequate? What's the reaction going to be when someone who has paid good money to be there resigns themselves to paying £18.50 for a burger only to be told they can't eat because the dog tag isn't working and the vendor isn't allowed to take cash or card?

While we're on the subject, how secure is paying for things with the RFID, is there an identity verification measure or are they as good as cash if you nick one?

1. meester

Re: Disaster waiting to happen

It's already happened/ing - system was down for over 4 hours yesterday with loads saying they couldn't buy anything or funds weren't being added to balances quick enough. Apparently the organisers hadn't anticipated the volumes of demand....

Its claimed to be working now but a fully expecting to have to take own food in or spend more time queuing to get ti sorted than actually watch any bands.

13. g e

Awwww, so Leics police are upset? Bless.. but remember, dear Bobbies:

NOTHING TO HIDE, NOTHING TO FEAR

Right?

14. Bernard M. Orwell

Two words.

Pilot Project.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Two words.

Just what I was thinking. If this is deemed a success by LeicPol then it will be rolled out to the rest of Prison Island.

2. Bernard M. Orwell

Some may call me a paranoid conspiracist nutcase for suggesting that this is a pilot for a larger scheme (indeed, some have in the last hour or so), but consider the alternative explanation:

That the Powers That Be, believe that attendees of a major music festival are more likely to be criminals, untrustworthy or international terrorists than any other section of the population. It seems to them that its a good idea to surveil this very specific cross section of the community, for whatever reason, and to prevent them using cash in the cause of crime reduction.

Personally, I'm not sure which explanation is worse.

1. Tim Jenkins

...the Powers That Be, believe that attendees of a major music festival are more likely to be criminals, untrustworthy or international terrorists...

Hmmmm; let's check the headliners:

Slipknot, Muse, Kiss (no, really), Judas Priest, FNM, Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson

So, 'criminals'; possibly 20 years ago when they were misguided teenagers (or 40, in the case of Kiss and JP fans), 'untrustworthy' in their musical tastes, and perhaps their hearing acuity, and 'international terrorists' only if ISIS/ISIL recruiting standards have really, really slipped...

1. Michael Habel

Kiss was big back in the '70s... So probably more like 50~60Y/o's Mötly Crew would be closer to my gen (Gen-X of 40 somethings). I suppose the sadder reality of that would be that retched Seattle Grunge sh-- of the 90's. Nirvana sucked then, and time hasn't made any of their trite any better.

And, if Kiss weren't such massive douches they'd might just have been the only thing worth seeing..

Of to have a festival with Deep Purple, Sabbath (W/Ozzy), and Zeppelin, ELO, YES, Priest, Ginger Baker (On that Note W/Cream!), and Pink Floyd! etc... Now that would be my idea of a festival. With that kind of line-up... I'd might also be willing to endure this BS... But, thankfully (or not)... That line-up will continue to be just a dream.

BTW: W(ho)... or WTF are FNM and, Marilyn Manson? Laddy GaGas stepsister or something?

Re: Two words. @Michael

Your dream line-up can only be a dream.

Jack Bruce, Rick Wright, John Bonham (OK, officially replaced), Jon Lord, Cozy Powell, Peter Banks (OK, he left Yes a long time ago), Dio, Kelly Groucutt (and Mike Edwards, although they both left ELO), Eric Carr, all gone.

And these are just the ones I found from the bands you mention!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

With my own tin foil hat on, I wonder whether Download has been chosen as it's attendees are supposed to be rebellious types (or at least pay lip service to being so). If they put up with it quietly then it's a safe bet that the 'norms' in society will as well.

1. Yugguy

Daft as really isn't it.

I'm a mid 40s staid office worker.

Yet I like all of the headline bands. Apart from Marilyn Manson.

1. Teiwaz

Funnily enough, I'm also mid 40s 'staid'? (not sure, need 2nd opinion on that, probably approaching Reggie Perrin critical mass) also office worker.

My tastes are the exact opposite though.

I'm near Leicester, not going to Download '1984' though.

15. Olius

No encryption?

I see a nice little black market opening up in RFID cloning...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

brilliant

testing ground for future deployments elsewhere. Combine "elsewhere" with "scaling up" and enjoy the rest of your future, No 24455-4233456/44.

1. maffski

Re: brilliant

...No 24455-4233456/44.

I am not a number!!!

I am a GUID. Or potentially a UUID depending on the Drake equation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not very accurate. I would expect the GUID to be hex and not decimal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I would expect the GUID to be hex and not decimal.

Every decimal number is also a valid (if different) hexadecimal number.

17. Lionel Baden

suprised nobody else got it yet

But the real money is the money left on the bracelets, as the hungover people dont bother getting their money as they are desperate to get out of the park !!

bet there is a good few thousands left in the kitty unclaimed after the event. That is if you can even get your money back off the damn system!!!

1. Velv

Re: suprised nobody else got it yet

Automatic refund if you've registered, and the only way to get money refunded from the tag is by being registered (in the FAQ).

I agree there will be some who don't register.

1. Lionel Baden

Re: suprised nobody else got it yet

i haven't bothered to look (sorry) I wonder what sort of information you must sacrifice by registering ?

18. theModge

The RFID braclets don't infact work

Projected to start working at 16:00 yesterday, I'm not on site (I assure you I wouldn't be on here if I was!) but all my friends there yesterday were moaning that more of the issued wristbands were faulty than not, with the replacement process due to start at 16:00.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The RFID braclets don't infact work

They best not start a rumpus lest they get added permamently to the police future crime custody system

1. AbelSoul
        Thumb Up

Re: best not start a rumpus

+1 for Rumpus.

Lovely word.

2. auburnman

Re: The RFID braclets don't infact work

I would say 'called it' but I neglected to include 'don't even work in the first place' in my list of failure states.

19. Mystic Megabyte
    Big Brother

FB

The police could save themselves time by just arresting anybody that does not have or is not logged into FB.

I would imagine that 98% of attendees will be tagging themselves or updating their status anyway. (Or whatever it is that you do on FB, I've never used it)

20. Dangermouse 1

I gave up on festivals a while ago, they're less about the music and more about extracting every last penny from the 'customers' these days :(

1. hopkinse

Dangermouse - you need to try Belladrum festival in Scotland. Brilliant mix of music and low proportion of assholes.

1. AbelSoul

Re: you need to try Belladrum

> Brilliant mix of music and low proportion of assholes.

Similarly, Wickerman is usually* low on the Ned count.

It used to be incredibly cheap too. Alas, they've recently jumped on the "let's charge the silly buggers for everything" bandwagon.

*In over a decade of attendance there have been two years where I witnessed small outbreaks of the type of neddish arseholery that pervades events like T in the Park. Otherwise the crowd have been pretty decent.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Supplies for Download festival !!!!

1) burner mobile Phone - check.

2) anonymous Mask - check.

3) hammer to Hit RFID tag. - check

4) cash to pay for RFID tag - check

5) Faraday cage (tent Sized) - Check

4) food and drink for the length of the festival so dont need to buy food and be profiled as having unhealthy diet as didnt eat at the vegan whole food stall all weekend - check

come to think of it it will be easier to just stay home and avoid the invasion in to my privacy - whats on TV ?. (non smart tv so it cant spy on me)

1. Captain Hogwash
      Meh

Re: whats on TV ?

broadcaster.youth.strand@download.festival probably.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Supplies for Download festival !!!!

Last time I went to Download, I nearly starved, as there wasn't *any* vegan meals available - Has it really improved that much? (Not that I wanted a "vegan wholefood stall", a vegan burger bar would have been nice and saved a weekend of just beer and crisps.)

Mind you, if I had a ticket for this year, I'd be trying to see how to get a refund now anyway........

1. Haku
        Coat

A 'vegan'? Is that someone who's from Vegas?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          Alien

No, from Vega: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega

1. PhilBuk

Watch out for John Amalfi.

Re: Supplies for Download festival !!!! @PhilBuk

+1 for the "Cities in Flight" reference.

2. Yugguy

In the words of Frankie whatsisface.

"yes, there is a vegetarian option...."

3. Chewy

I would have thought corpse paint would be more in keeping with metal rather than an anonymous mask.

In all seriousness, Download is just mainstream metal anyway and having a helicopter buzzing overhead ruined Maiden's set for me when they played last. Hellfest and Wacken in mainland Europe have long been better than Download.

1. Richard Pennington 1

Corpse paint. Especially relevant for RIP visitors.

22. SVV

Pretend hippies?

No, it's a heavy metal thing, with cutting edge contemporary acts such as Judas Priest and Billy Idol headlining. Not my paper cup of overpriced fizzy beer to be honest, but each to their own....

But what further indignities are those people still prepared to hand over large sums of cash to attend these events willing to let themselves be subjected to?

Hand over your payment card details and authorise everything an RFID chip in your wristband pays for to be instantly deducted from your bank account? Kind of like writing your bank card's PIN number in permanent marker on it, then waving it around all day in a large crowd of drunk people - a terrible idea. Can't take your own booze into the arena, must buy from "official partners" instead. Personal profile built up and then sold to marketing people - so for the rest of your days you're on countless atabases as a huge consumer of beer and burgers.

I can understand people using free things on the web where "you are the product", but this isn't a free festival - it's expensive, and you are paying to be the product. Add in the surveillance stuff and this all adds uo to....

RAAAWK AND ROOOOOL !!!!

Even back in the 90s people were moaning that festivals had "gone a bit corporate", but it's obviously got completely out of control now.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Pretend hippies?

A friend in his 70's will be there. I think he'll probably avoid Judas Priest in favour of something a little newer ;)

Going to be fun hearing his opinions next week.

2. steamrunner

<fanbois-rant-mode=ON>

And this is why I prefer Glastonbury.

Yes, they check me on to site and the gates, and then again when I leave, and yes they have my photo on the ticket so scammers can't nick my ticket. But that's it, and I'm OK with that. I'm big and ugly enough to cope with those things.

There are no arenas. It's one big (huge, city-sized) space. I can go where I want (in the public areas), when I want, and with who I want, for as long as I want. I can take my own food and booze and eat and drink it whenever and where ever I want, including right in front of the stages if I wish (OK, so I can't cook it there, but you know what I mean). The odd wandering, friendly Plod aside, as far as I know there is no other surveillance inside the festival. No cameras. No CCTV. Or they're well hidden if there are. It's probably the least-surveilled city in the country whilst the festival is on.

I *don't* need to purchase "official sponsor" beer. I *don't* have to leave the fun zone and retire to a camp site at midnight because mommy says I have to. The nearest they get to corporate sponsors are a) a bunch of charities (lets not go there though, different convo) and b) the brand of beer supplied in some of the (optional, avoidable) beer tents.

And here's the point: I don't need to spend a *single penny* at the festival if I really don't want to (OK, just the *other* kind of spending a penny of course.. :-) I can completely opt out of the money/transaction thing for a week if I really want to.

And people wonder why it sells out before a single act is ever announced. Maybe these are some of the reasons why - along with the fact that there is so much to see and do, everyone is always happy!

(PS: Yes, it's true, there are hippies - pretend or otherwise - there though. Sorry. Really. They happen. Some are actually quite nice. YMMV. YTMV. Download doesn't have hippies.. :-)

S.

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

"I *don't* need to purchase "official sponsor" beer. I *don't* have to leave the fun zone and retire to a camp site at midnight because mommy says I have to"

Amen

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, the same thing could be argued for V festival (arguably one of the most commercial fesivals).

In fact V they don't even have your photo. You buy a ticket, you get a little fabric wristband. You attach said wristband and go.

You can take in food and drink with no issues. You don't have to buy their "sponsored beer".

The whole place (apart from the backstage/VIP area) is one big public area and you can come/go as you please. And you can eat/drink wherever you please.

I have never seen any surveillance there apart from the odd roaming plod or "security guard".

And, as you say, you don't need to spend a single penny there should you choose not to.

So your Glasto is superior rant is a little moot I am afraid as other festivals offer the same/more.. or less I suppose it would be, of this sort of thing.

I get the feeling however that this RFID is a taste of things to come for all festivals in the future.

And before you ask. No. Never been to Glaston... never want to. Hate all that mud and heaving crowds, which is why V fest is in fact superior as you can just go a bit further back and setup a picnic blanket, but still with a good view of the stage.

Anon... naturally, just in case this comment lands me on one of those police lists... and because I think I just kicked a hornets nest with that last comment.

1. AbelSoul
          Headmaster

> No. Never been to Glaston...

then

> V fest is in fact superior

Tut, tut. Must try harder.

As it happens, I've been to both and, for what I was after, Glastonbury shat all over V in almost every department (the one notable exception being the stink - Glastonbury is without a doubt the smelliest event I have ever attended, yet I still loved it).

Been to Glasto twice - last time in 2000. Would love to go again and thoroughly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance. Go there, then consider: The attitudes there are what most of Britain was like in the 1960s.

1. Jimboom

Sorry, but ... with you going last in 2000 does that mean that the attitudes there are now what most of Britain was like in the 1970/80's? ;-)

No Need to be sorry,

It may seem strange, but just because I haven't been able to get tickets doesn't mean I'd lose interest. I also know people who have been there as recently as two years ago, and I can assure you they came back just as excited (and tired) as I was. Unfortunately the BBC etc. give a positively minuscule, tightly blinkered coverage of the event, so the only way you'll be able to verify what I say is to either go there, or, you know, talk to those who have.

1. Jimboom

Ha ha. I was being pedantic/funny as you said that when you last went the attitude was that of the 1960's... but that was in 2000, which would mean that the attitude of those people are now that of the 1970/80's.... geez, just because you don't put a Joke alert on your comment....

As for the other comments. I wasn't caring about those. I say go with whatever festival you like. Personally I am more of a Creamfields/SW4 kind of guy. The kind where apart from them patting you down at the entrance they don't really seem to care as they know that people are there to enjoy the music... and some getting absolutely off their tits.

Been to the 02 wireless festival as well, but that was more of a festival lite. But Damien Marley was playing that particular time, so it was groovy tunes.

Reading/Leeds is a good fest too. Though, the toilets on that last day is not something you want to think about.

I have a few friends who have gone to Glaston, though most of them went years ago. All of the stories involved mud, most involved said friends being rather drunken/raucous.

I think though whatever your festival preference we can all agree that paying to go to something where you become the product.... not cool.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Smelly? I can still remember the dope haze that spread all over the last of the original IOW festivals.

Very un-commercial and Hendrix to boot. Them were the days when I had hair, long hair.

Went to Glasto in the early days but that was it for multi-day events. Couldn't be bothered after that.

This download crapfest is however going many steps too far with data collection for 'The Man'.

Peace Bro (and sis)

23. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Advertising

You pay electronically to go to this event, you pay electronically for why you consume in the event and presumable you pay electronically for what you dispose of at the event.

Why is there no opt out from having your personal information sold/supplied to 'other organisations' for advertising purposes? Every other ecommerce (ie electronic commerce) site has to have an opt in/out check box for use of your personal data ...how can this organisation specify it as a mandatory condition of service - share your data or don't attend?

I'm no expert but it feels like they're walking a very fine wire ...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I generally avoid festivals

They've become little bundles of overly commercialised control freakery. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pay for that?

25. theOtherJT Silver badge

Kinda glad I couldn't get the time off work now.

I usually go to Download, and was seriously thinking about going this year. This is, however, the first I've heard of this RFID system, and I would _not_ have been happy having it dropped on me at the gate when I arrived.

26. Craigyb
    Big Brother

Robbing spying bstards

Unfortunately I purchased this years ticket based on early bird discount straight after last year's festival. Wish I'd known things would be going this way then. Looking forward to being spied on and getting extra spam emails!

27. timcroydon

Hippies?

Hippies at Download? Somewhat unlikely I think!

28. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

I remember the good old days when money was a peer to peer system. Now there's always someone in the middle; monitoring, profiting, controlling. Not good news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

See also: "War on Cash"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Intermediation

"I remember the good old days when money was a peer to peer system. Now there's always someone in the middle; monitoring, profiting, controlling. Not good news."

This is exactly how banks work; by intermediating themselves into every possible financial transaction to skim off a profit.

When we're told that the City of London is the economic powerhouse of the UK, what it really means is that it is extracting part of all our economic activity and using it to buy cocaine.

29. David Black

Facial recognition

There is a little irony that the best defence against the facial recognition is wearing the niqab... maybe part of a government scheme to get us all converted to Islam then tag us all as potential Islamic terrorists.

I hate festivals that impose all of this crap around your own booze and gate your movements across the site. V was the first to go batshit crazy plenty of others followed and now it seems Download has gone to a surreal new level. Festivals used to be about having fun but now it is about corporate identity rape and festival go-ers chatting senselessly through the acts and just posting endless selfies and never hearing or seeing a thing. Look at me, I'm having fun...

1. Barn!e

Re: Facial recognition

Yeah cause you so cool arent ya. No one has fun today like we did in the oldern days....

30. Cosmo

Sounds like it's broken

Am I allowed to post a link from the INQ?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2412704/download-festival-goers-left-hungry-as-cashless-system-goes-to-borksville

Who could have possibly envisaged a cashless only system going tits up!

31. Lamont Cranston

You wouldn't let your kids have your credit card,

so why the hell would you want to let them loose with an RFID payment system?

Not so worried about the facila recognition system, though, so long as the police agree to leave enforcement in the hands of a Jim Caviezel look-a-like in a smart suit.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck in getting a response from Youchip

I queried a few things with youchip when they were announced to be the provider and they never bothered responding. Also the RFID system went titsup yesterday meaning no one could enter or buy anything.

I believe the main reason for the dog tag is so that all purchases are recorded so cash wasn't going under the till for download to take their cut and to also reduce drug purchases as people won't have cash on them & the dealers won't take dogtags.

1. auburnman
      Trollface

Re: Good luck in getting a response from Youchip

That's okay, the dealers & punters can trade in BitCoin!

Come to think of it, this whole RFID debacle sounds like someone tried to explain digital currency to a PHB who then tried to implement their 'vision' of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm, so are all punters frisked to *prevent* them from bringing cash in?

1. Craigyb

Scarily/hilariously I had my wallet and keys checked yet others went in with stacks of booze with no checks- got to love the security goons at festivals!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless they are banning cash physically from the site, which would be interesting, I can't see it reduce payments to drug dealers as it's id assume dealing drugs is breach of the t&c already

Wonder how good facial recognition is with people wearing hats that obsicte part or all of faces, assuming the cameras are mounted and looking down or will they be at face level at check points.

33. Haku

Stop already.

Technological advances are generally a positive thing, until something like this comes along and you have to stand up and say stop already, technology shouldn't be so pervasive.

34. hammarbtyp

Good luck with that

I live near Donington Park. By the end of the festival you will have trouble identifying the species never mind what their face looks like

35. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Seems I need a new reminder list

Things to not do and places to not visit.

36. Corborg

Abu Hamza facemasks....

...for EVERYONE

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Abu Hamza facemasks....

facemasks? aren't you missing something?

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So who is up to selling

T shirts featuring pictures of most wanted to see just how effective this facial recognician software is?

It would be interesting to see if they ban said clothing or just keep sending armed response teams in

38. Chris G

Why?

Exactly have the organisers gone into partnership with the local fuzz to spy on their customers and what right (if any ) do the plods have to surveil customers who have paid to enter a private event.? This is no different to the fuzz using facial recognition in a restaurant or the Albert Hall.

Just sounds completely wrong to me.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opt out by not going

"Every single person on site, including staff, children, RIP and VIP customers will need a dog tag to get around the festival," according to the FAQ section of the site. "The only way to get around the festival and pay for stuff is to use this system. It’s not possible to opt out of this."

Yes it is, just don't go. Boycott the festival. I would love to see some of the bands, but I will not support this type of system.

Download's privacy policy acknowledges that it will collect your information through the use of the cashless payment wristbands and will, typically, share that information with other companies, who will collaborate to establish your interests, purchases and household type to aid in profiling you for advertising purposes.

So I have to pay for the system, and you sell my data. No, it;s my data. My information. You can't sell it to people who will advertise AT me.

In the words of Rage Against The Machine...

And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me

40. nicboyde

Perhaps someone in the current world of finance could enlighten me: has the law on legal tender changed? Surely cash, within the legal limits, (http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines) must be accepted if offered in settlement of a debt? Is not every vendor taking part in this scheme conspiring with the organisers to break the law? Shouldn't Leicestershire's Finest be on to this, dragging the offenders off to the Beak?

1. Charles 9

Under the law both in the UK and in the US, a normal sales transaction DOES NOT constitute a debt but a sale, so the "legal tender" provision DOES NOT apply. Barring certain acts of discrimination, the vendor reserves the right to refuse sales at his/her discretion. That's how vendors in my neck of the woods refuse service to rude and rowdy people.

41. Tom Jasper

So... I guess the solution is wearing hats and neck ties with UV and Infra Red LED lights attached, along with your common or garden makeshift steel mesh (or whatever) Faraday Cage... Get enough of the kids (sorry, middle aged people who can afford the tickets) to do that free the id trackers only when entering / leaving an area or purchasing....

Then there's the opportunity for cloning RFID tags (perhaps the event directors????)

Oh, to be a creative anarchist at Download.

42. partofthepuzzle

I just checked at the Download Festitval web site and there was info on the RFID tags and their use at the festival for access and purchases but I couldn't find anything about the facial recognition program. Considering that the event is on private property, doing that without explicit informed consent seems like it must violate some kind of laws? What are the laws about this like in the U.K.?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Considering that the event is on private property"

I think that becomes moot once it is an even open to the public.

43. Robert Ramsay

We've bin spendin most our life

...livin in an Orwellian spy paradise...

44. AnonymousSs

People can't really boycott this as they are mostly unaware of the planned level of surveillance. This was only announced yesterday, the festival starts today! People will find out when they turn up which is wrong.

I think I understand why they are using this festival to trial this - it's one of the most laid back easy going atmospheres of a UK festival of that size. People will accept it, then next year all your big festivals will follow suit.

I will complain as I have taken my son to this festival several times - never again if this is going to be the norm.

I feel a letter to my MP coming on...

45. Barn!e

Epic use of tech

All you whining about big brother and liberty are pretty slow and confused. The police being able to protect us and stop known sex offenders, bag thieves and general scumbags from entering the festival with pockets full of knives and drugs is a good thing. Why worry unless you are a criminal? Your image is captured many times a day in our towns and cities and now the police have a way of using that data to solve and prevent crime..great news.

If you actually look at the technology, you'll notice it cant be used with millions of faces becuase we all have similarities that mean it wont work. But loading it with criminal faces and scanning people at events is a great idea. It wont stop them all but I can rest easier in my tent knowing most of the criminals (visit to steal brigade) are in clink and not stealing my BBQ.

1. Tim Jenkins

Re: Epic use of tech

So, so hoping that's a troll, because otherwise I'm going to have to spend the next hour or three pointing out all the flaws in your argument, and I should really be unscrambling a DNS screwup....

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Facepalm

Obvious troll is obvious.

Account only created today :)

2. Mark 85

Is that you MB?

46. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

Typical.

First there is the desperate attempt to mash two unrelated molehills into a mountainous story of oppressive "surveillance", then there is the truly comic eagerness with which so many of the usual suspects hysterically bleat it up even more!

Facial recognition cameras are nothing new, they are in every Western capital (plus Moscow and Beijing). If the author wants to try and insist there is something wrong with the Police being able to quickly identify known criminals (including those that are wanted) before they can do more crimes then please do tell us what that is rather than baselessly inferring there is some "conspiracy" against all festival goers.

Secondly, the Police cameras at this festival (and others) are a result of a simple fact - such festivals are a hotbed of streetcrime, from simple pickpockets through muggings to drugdealing. How many times have you had friends come back from such an event moaning about how someone stole their phone/camera/stash which they stupidly left in an unsecured tent.

And then there is no link whatsoever between the Police cameras and the festival's RFID system, so the breathless attempts to infer one is simply too stupid for words. The RFID system is there to cut down thefts of cash (from stoned festival goers). You don't like it, go be a pretend hippy elsewhere.

1. Mark 85

Re: Typical.

Ever been "talked to" by the local police for something totally innocent but captured on camera? I have several times after being at "festivals". This latest time, they had me on camera standing next to a drug dealer (known to them but not to me) at a BBQ and Bands affair. We spoke for all of maybe a minute about the good music and the excellent ribs coming of the vender's grills. Two days later, there was a knock at my door and an invite down to the local cop shop for questioning about my being there and speaking with him. I'm pretty sure there's a file somewhere that now has me tagged as "talks to drug dealers" since one of them spent the whole Q and A session typing in everything that was said along with the whole thing being recorded on camera.

So yes, they can identify known crims. But there's no excuse to drag the innocent into their scraping up anything they can get.

1. DiViDeD

I'm more than a little unsettled by the 'known crims' idea that a number of commentards have mentioned.

What is meant by 'known crims'? It's one thing if it's 'warrant out for the arrest of X in connection with Y', but something else when it's 'Got him on the criminal database when he was arrested for taking photos of the Town Hall' (seriously, happened to me. Arrested, lectured, threatened because I wouldn't hand the sdcard over then 'dearrested' and warned to mind how I go. They even tried to insist I provide a DNA sqab sample until I pointed out I'd been dearrested and they'd have to arrest me all over again to get the sample, which I would insist was taken at the station with a senior officer and solicitor present), or 'Got convicted of burglary/public order offence/looking at me in a funny way in 1974'.

Are we really going to be monitoring and refusing entry to people because of spent convictions or arrests which never led to a court case?

Just asking, as someone who used to believe that these powers would never be abused.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

" quickly identify known criminals (including those that are wanted) before they can do more crimes" - MB

"What is meant by 'known crims'?" - Divided

Quite so. Back in the day, when I was still a young lad living in an enlightened country, we had a word for people before they'd committed a crime: innocent.

Not a word you hear much anymore.

47. Jake Maverick

obviously the attendees would have made plans months in advance, tickets bought and paid for.....sure most weren't even aware until after they arrived and i bet most don't even know after they left....

surely this is breach of contract at least? class action lawsuit anyone, at least try and get the money back/ might help deter them in future if it came out of their pockets rather than our...(+ their normal cream of charges)

48. Arthure B. Hynde

Attendance is acceptance!

The only way of protest is to boycott the event. Period.

Not at the ballots, _here_ is where democracy is executed: you vote with your feet.

Too small a nuisance to miss the event? You just stated your priorities, so shut up and suck it up, you deserve no better than that, and all that comes from it.

49. tomgodber

Might be worth getting out more

Having just come back from the festival, I can say that the RFID payments worked very well for precisely no meaningful loss of privacy. They will have learnt that Download goers - who are not especially hippy like, except in their inability to wash when at festivals - frequently purchase beer, jagerbombs and low quality meat products within a pretty confined area from a limited selection of vendors. This is not news to anyone who ever attends festivals, and it was a damn sight more convenient than screwing round with beer tokens last year.

Didn't see any evidence of cameras - maybe they were using the feed from the cameras by the stages. If Gene Simmons has any outstanding warrants, they'll have been picking up a lot of false positives on Sunday.

Also worth noting that I didn't see any evidence of crime - a couple of people looked like they may have partaken in some substances, but there were no fights or muggings I witnessed, and I didn't hear any reports of slashed tents, pickpocketing or theft - metal fans tend to be fairly pleasant people, but the festival scene has also changed a lot since the 90s when that tended to be pretty frequent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like