back to article Is that a graphics driver on your shop's register – or a RAM-slurping bank card thief?

Crooks are infecting sales registers running Oracle-owned MICROS software with malware tailor-fitted to steal bank card information from the machines. MalumPoS scrapes sensitive data from the RAM inside the tills, which are used in places from shops and restaurants to hotels and bars. The software nasty can be easily modified …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

But it is of course, my fault

according to the banks, when my account is emptied...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is XP end of life yet? Not in the PoS edition it isn't.

"POSes have several strikes against them. They are often running on out-of-date, unpatched platforms (such as Windows XP)"

Hmmm.

Who can remind this gentleman what the End of Support date is for Windows XP Point of Sale Edition, which is perhaps the obvious Windows XP for use in a PoS device (used in ~80% of PoS systems, I've heard)? Hint: it hasn't happened yet. Try 2019.

There even seems to be a one-word registry edit in widespread circulation since just over a year ago which turns your ordinary XP into POS XP from the point of view of continuing to get the updates:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/26/german_tinkerer_gets_around_xpocalypse/

This Beardsley bloke may have some fair generic points to make but he may not be the "expert" he would like us to think he is.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is XP end of life yet? Not in the PoS edition it isn't.

If you can back up you claim of 80% usage then you have somewhat valid points.

I'm working in fast food industry and with thousands of POS systems. We still have some Windows98 systems, and plenty of XP Pro, WEPOS and Windows 7 systems. (The last few Win95 systems were retired last year or so. Can't say I miss those Pentium MMX systems... :-)

The scales are already tipped to the Win7 since the business is expanding and old systems are updated when they break or the shop is renovated.

PosReady 2009 (XP) you are referring to is supported until 2019 but it didn't really offer anything new over WEPOS and I believe (don't know for sure) most businesses skipped it since people like to KISS. WEPOS is of course still supported until next year.

The POS systems I administer are not actually updated at all, and the EOL date for XP didn't concern us one bit. It was actually some 3rd party software libraries for EMV payment processing that required us to replace the Win95 systems. POS systems are expensive so old systems aren't replaced on a whim.

This Beardsley bloke may have some fair generic points to make but he may not be the "expert" he would like us to think he is.

The POS registry hack doesn't fix everything and I can't recommend it anyway.

Check the comments for the article you referenced, especially this well articulated one:

'The other issue is that the patches (a) will not cover XP components that aren't in the embedded OS, (b) may or may not work in any event. The result of this could be the worst possible scenario from a security standpoint: an insecure machine that customers mistakenly believe IS secure and trusted. "The only thing worse than no security is false security", and all that.'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you can back up you claim of 80% usage"

I can't. It came from some Microsoft PoS report or other. Sorry. If I remember, I'll post. Any PoS vendor basing product on full-fat Windows (and paying for it) is presumably missing a money-saving trick though, so I'd be surprised if the figure wasn't very substantial even if it's not 80%.

"The POS registry hack doesn't fix everything"

"the patches (a) will not cover XP components that aren't in the embedded OS"

Can you be more specific? E,g. examples of what it doesn't fix? [I wonder if there is some naming confusion here; it wouldn't be difficult, given that there's XP classic, XP Embedded, and Windows POSready, which are all basically the same OS with subtle differences in configuration and big differences in licensing, ref 1, 2, 3]

Examples welcome (I acknowledge these are Bill de Haan's words, not your words).

While everyone's looking (or not), here are a couple of references that say there are few functional differences between XP Pro and XP Posready (e.g. POSready doesn't have the games, MovieMaker, or Outlook Express, ref 3).

"the patches (b) may or may not work in any event. "

Same as any other Patch Tuesday then. Mostly they work. Sometimes they don't.

NB I am not suggesting that this registry hack is a good idea for Joe Public.

I am suggesting that a company (and its media representatives) which intentionally misleads its customers ought to be ashamed of itself. Naive or what?

Telling customers that patches are no longer developed when they clearly are would appear to be a mis-statement.

Thanks for the opportunity.

1: http://www.msembedded.biz/en/embedded-software/windows-embedded-posready-2009/posready-vs-xp-pro/

2: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee406170%28v=winembedded.0%29.aspx

3: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159099

[resubmitted after previously being approved and then vanishing without trace]

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you can back up you claim of 80% usage"

I can't. It came from some Microsoft PoS report or other. Sorry. If I remember, I'll post. Any PoS vendor basing product on full-fat Windows (and paying for it) is presumably missing a money-saving trick though, so I'd be surprised if the figure wasn't very substantial even if it's not 80%.

"The POS registry hack doesn't fix everything"

Can you be more specific? E,g. examples of what it doesn't fix? [I wonder if there is some naming confusion here; it wouldn't be difficult, given that there's XP classic, XP Embedded, and Windows POSready, which are all basically the same OS with subtle differences in configuration and big differences in licensing, ref 1, 2, 3]

Examples welcome (I acknowledge these are Bill de Haan's words, not your words).

While everyone's looking (or not), here are a couple of references that say there are few functional differences between XP Pro and XP Posready (e.g. POSready doesn't have the games, MovieMaker, or Outlook Express, ref 3).

"the patches (b) may or may not work in any event. "

Same as any other Patch Tuesday then. Mostly they work. Sometimes they don't.

NB I am not suggesting that this registry hack is a good idea for Joe Public.

I am suggesting that a company (and its media representatives) which intentionally misleads its customers ought to be ashamed of itself. Naive or what?

Telling customers that patches are no longer developed for XP is clearly a mis-statement.

Thanks for the opportunity.

1: http://www.msembedded.biz/en/embedded-software/windows-embedded-posready-2009/posready-vs-xp-pro/

2: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee406170%28v=winembedded.0%29.aspx

3: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159099

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

So use ApplePay

Use ApplePay or some similar scheme, where no information that the PoS receives can be used to get more money out of a card.

Although a PoS that is completely under control of a hacker might make payments from the customer to the hacker, instead of customer to merchant. But that would be a problem for the merchant, not the customer, so even then ApplePay would be safe for the customer, and wouldn't be the cause of the problem for the merchant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So use ApplePay

If.....

- They accept it.

- You have a network.

- The battery isn't flat.

- It hasn't been nicked by someone who noticed that you're lugging 500 quid of hardware around.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or if its for a small amount, just use cash. Oh wait, corporations want us to move away from cash so they can track us, errr, I mean because its so much more convenient for us to use electronic systems. And of course the useful idiots in the tech industry are helping them along in this. Notice how many shops now have card only self service tills in the UK? Soon it'll be all of them, there'll be no humans behind any tills and if you want to pay by cash you'll probably have to go to a special counter round the back, do an iris and fingerprint scan to make sure you're not on a terrorist list and give 2 forms of identification. Think I'm kidding? Lets wait 20 years and see.

1. Richard Jones 1
          WTF?

Interestingly my local supermarket takes cash in its self service tills.

1. Sarah Balfour

Any mention of self-service checkouts anywhere, and posting this becomes obligatory

http://youtu.be/Jf97Tshk0-c

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Interestingly my local supermarket takes cash in its self service tills."

Card only didn't mean only card tills available. How the hell does someone get modded up for not getting basic english grammar?

2. Vic

Notice how many shops now have card only self service tills in the UK?

Nope. I don't think I've seen any such shops...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Nope. I don't think I've seen any such shops..."

Seriously? You've never seen a card only till? Try tesco or asda. Where do you live, the shetland islands?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Well I live in a city, albeit not London, and all the Tesco, Asda etc stores, including metros and express, have self-service tills but none of them are card only (apart from when they have technical issues).

2. Vic

Seriously? You've never seen a card only till?

Nope. Never.

Try tesco or asda

It's a while since I've been to Asda, but I've just done my shopping in Tesco.

Where do you live, the shetland islands?

Southampton.

Vic.

2. James O'Shea

Using ApplePay or Google Wallet or whatever would have at least two upsides:

1 if the bad guys divert the payment to themselves, there's at least some chance that the diversion can be tracked, leading to them. (It depends on how the money was diverted and how quickly someone noticed.)

2 the lack of incoming funds should quickly alert management, and should (depending on how bright management is. Oh. Wait. Errmm...) result in someone taking active measures to improve security. (Well, it could happen... Money talks. Loudly.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or even just use Chip and Pin only and then the credit card details don't need to touch the POS, Like what we do in the UK, even with Micros kit.

4. choleric
    Flame

See icon

"Understanding that point-of-sales devices are attackable computers is just the first step in addressing the problem."

This appears to be an especially steep part of the learning curve.

5. Simon Harris

Picture.

If the graphics system in my computer used 16K x 1 RAM chips, I'd be a bit suspicious if a display driver announced itself as anything more than a CGA controller!

1. Stevie

Re: Picture.

Yes, but I'm guessing you do someting computery for a living and don't manage a retail outlet. If you are going to hide computers in places ordinary people don't expect to find them, you had better make them bulletproof.

The fault here is 100% the vendor for selling insecure cash registers (which is what the uncognoscenti call them).

Can't wait until the fucktard revolution makes my light bulbs and air conditioner open to similar attacks because, you know, what would a lightbulb be sans internet connectivity?

2. Tom 13

Re: Picture.

You are obviously someone who hasn't looked at any current POS systems. They all come in at least 32-bit color and some seem to prefer 64-bit, especially in fast food joints.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Picture. @Tom 13.

My comment was referring to the front page picture El Reg used to illustrate the story (not carried over to the story itself, so when the story was dropped from headline status the picture disappeared with it - thanks El Reg!) which was a close-up of a PCB containing 1980s vintage AM9016s, if I remember correctly, which were drop-in replacements for the MK4116 chips typically used on CGA cards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very discouraging...

The crims are years ahead of security "experts" and authorities have no chance.

7. Captain DaFt

No back doors here

It seems to me that all the security talk of 'back doors' in modern software may be misleading.

How the heck can you have a back door if there isn't a wall to support it?

'Back door'? More like unfenced 'back yard'.

8. Simon Brady

Life imitating art?

Meanwhile, in the background, MalumPoS uses regular expressions to sift through memory and locate fresh credit card information.

http://xkcd.com/208/

9. DanielR

Is that how they did it !

And guess what ? They put one single lone guy to the task to track down the Bulgarians who did it.

Says it all while the NSA are concentrating on spying on their own population they leave the country exposed to cyber attacks and all that black hat firepower can't even thwart them. National security my ass. Cyber security is a national security risk obviously.

This is down to a few things.

Windows XP. POS systems connected to other windows systems on the network and not isolated. Surely there has to be a way to fully isolate everything and should never be connected to other windows machines on a LAN !

10. Tom 13

they are rarely audited and maintained by dedicated IT security staff, and configurations are often in the default state, including default administrator passwords," he added.

Even in those instances where it isn't the default state, there tends to be a problem with homogenous deployments. For example, in each store the first register is POS01, the second is POS02, etc. So once you've cracked one store all the rest in the chain follow. I was talking with a friend who is part of the dedicated support team for one franchise here in the US. For various reasons that's exactly the way they have to deploy the hardware. Right now they use Windows Update to try to secure stuff. But you have the standard SME problems. Often times the only "real" computer in the store is the one that is also acting as the server for the POS system. So it of course has full browser capabilities and possibly more than one browser installed. He didn't think they had issues with needing to support Java/Flash/Reader but it's still a bit of a mess and difficult to automate reporting in such a way that you can easily audit patching. And yes, they're still running XP while waiting for the vendor to release a Win 7 edition and dreading how the vendor is going to royally fuck it up even though they know they need it. I think he supports about 300 POS terminals across 60 or so stores, team size is 3 and it's nearly 24/7/365 support expectations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like