back to article Georgens out at NetApp – new chairman, interim CEO named

Longtime NetApp executive Tom Georgens has parted ways with the storage outfit, vacating his dual roles as the firm's chairman and chief executive, effective immediately. Stepping up to the CEO chair – at least temporarily – is George Kurian, who most recently had served as the firm's executive veep of product operations. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late

Should have done this years ago when they started tanking, but there is far too much hubris within the echo chamber of management. This wont save them, the damage is done .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too late

They've hardly tanked, companies have blips and come back strong. This industry is full of hype, how much hype do the startups get and yet they do tiny revenues in comparison to the big boys. This is the reality of big business to grow one must do things differently. As a customer there's only EMC that offer anywhere near what Netapp offer my enterprise but at a fraction of the complexity.

Whoever you're trolling for it would be nice for once if some of these debates were kept away from the trolling of other vendors and onto the facts.

1. Mr.Nobody

Agreed, but I am not sure if you are implying that EMC or NetApp is more complex. One has only one or two products (three now?), the other has competing products for the same use case (two backup solutions, multiple block arrays, multiple NAS boxes, etc) and none of them simple.

NetApp has caused a lot of their own pain by forcing people to adopt CDOT since you have to go through a complex migration to get there (and buy new gear). Most small to medium sized companies have no need for clusters of storage gear.

I would bet 90% of current netapp customers would be happy to keep running 7 mode filers if they continued to develop it. Forcing cluster mode on them is inviting competing companies to come in and sell them something new.

2. Grikath

My heart bleeds...

I bet his severance package is a wee bit more ...lavish.. than the rest of the lot got.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late

I agree with the previous post. This may be too late. c-dot is not ontap and customers are going to have work in their hands converting processes over and retraining operations staff. Given the lack of choice in the enterprise (EMC and NetApp) this will happen.

But NetApp remains a one trick pony and has failed to make much of acquisitions it's made in the past. They are also far from cheap and charge a margin for their name.

I don't mean the company ill will and hope they recover. I always enjoyed working in the FAS products and ontap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

c-dot is ontap. NetApp's OS is called Data ONTAP and c-dot is Clustered Data ONTAP.

4. mtuber

No Silver Bullet

So Tom Georgens is gone and rightfully so. In fact, should have happened 2 yrs ago things may have been better already. Having said that, Georgens is not Netapp's only problem.

Georgens' departure will not make clustered ontap easier, will not make the migrations go away, will not make customers love a platform they're staying away from.

If netapp is to change course, they'll need an outsider and he/she'll need to clean the executive suites, get rid of non-producers, establish a vision and make investments that can drive growth.

Repackaging and spit polishing ONTAP every 6mos as something "new" and a "great fit" for a new use case (cloud) is not a strategy but a hope.

I view George Kurian as nothing more than an interim CEO unless of course he hits a home run and shocks everybody but with no catalysts, netapp is more dependent than ever on their competitors screwing up than them succeeding.

5. nilfs2

NetApp should get rid of Cisconians

The FlexPod alliance is a cancer for NetApp, the useless Nexus switch is eating the budget, they have Cisco fanbois selling storage, Cisco fanbois don't care about storage, they just want to sell the "latest and greatest" Cisco switch available.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like