back to article Security software's a booming market. Why is Symantec stumbling?

Worldwide security software revenue totalled $21.4bn in 2014, a 5.3 per cent increase from 2013's revenue of $20.3bn, according to the serious bean counters at Gartner. A decline in consumer security software and endpoint protection — areas that together account for 39 per cent of the market — was more than offset the strong …

1. CAPS LOCK

Could it be a quality issue?

Perhaps people who have used Symantec software in the past are, how shall I put this?, wary?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could it be a quality issue?

Symantec's Norton Internet Security has proven to be a huge frustration and a complete waste of time. Just the most spiteful and horrid garbage-ware ever written. Wasted many months of my life doing endless troubleshooting on multiple PCs and laptops. Finally figured out NIS was the fundamental problem, removed it from all the household PCs, and suddenly household IT support became a trivial exercise.

Anyone involved with the creation of Norton Internet Security should be punished by the Gods of Karma.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

under the weight

They're being crushed by their own behemothism would be my first guess. Too big to get anything done in a timely fashion.

3. elDog

Thumbs up to both prior comments.

Just from the outside it seems that the corporate thrashings have prevented any real NEW work from getting done. Perhaps time for yet another spinoff.

4. JaitcH
    Meh

Symantec? I thought they were ...

bankrupt / taken over.

So much competition out there from Russia and Eastern Europe I never even look at US suppliers - besides, hard to trust anything from the USA with your data - you don't know where it might end up.

5. 0laf

In the enterprise lots of others providing the same services for less money or just more favourable licensing terms. Looks at Sophos, free licences for schools and employees.

Plus tbh most of the big boys just aren't that good at catching stuff now.

At home plenty of free security stuff around that does the job well. Why would you pay?

1. Captain Scarlet
      Mushroom

I pay (For home use) because I am sick of Nagware or the product confusing whoever is using it.

6. DerekCurrie
    Thumb Up

Symantec Stumbling?

ExCeLLenT! That hateful, FUD and crudware mongering company can't be buried in the potter's grave of history fast enough.

7. unredeemed

Symantec is big enough, even after their eventual split, to not do anything dynamic or game changing. They have a long development cycle, changes to the UI that would make the product "prettier," would take 3-5yrs if not more to actually see the light of day in production.

Damn the corporate world and the slow train it rides on!

*Full disclosure: Former happy symantec employee. I wish them the best, but product management is the biggest impediment to their products succeeding.

8. The Dude
    Mushroom

Totally agree Symantec should go away.

Symantec is one of those companies who responds to legitimate queries regarding technical/policy issues with a letter from their corporate lawyers. And they don't address the issues.

So, no more referrals to any of my clients for them, and move to better products as the licensing comes up.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

9. Six_Degrees

Symantec's decline is likely due to their product's efficacy and performance being terrible, and to their not updating their user interface since some time in the mid-90s. It is both buggy and excrutiatingly painful to use.

Maybe if they came out with a product that was easy to use, and that actualy worked...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curse of the giants...

We've just gone through a vendor/product selection process, to be fair Symantec did at least have a stab at responding to the RFP and attended a reasonably productive meeting (he says, glaring at two other major players), but too many things counted against them:

- Added-value bits are cost items, unlike for example, Sophos, who bundle HIDS etc

- The company is big enough that feature requests etc from a medium-size enterprise are ignored

- The senior execs in the US can't work out what strategy/direction they want, so the leadership is in turmoil (and crucially, the presales team got comically nervous when this was brought up)

- They've removed themselves from all the independent performance tests (avcomparatives.org, etc) - hmmm, I wonder why

11. fidodogbreath

Number one in something, anyway

"Symantec was once again the largest security software vendor by revenue CPU cycles squandered."

FTFY

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like