back to article Windows Server 2003 end of support draws ever closer

Sign up RIGHT NOW to watch The Register’s how-to Regcast on coping with Windows Server 2003 End of Service (EoS). Watch this live, on June 12 at 11:00 BST - if you can't make it, just sign up and we will email you when the recording is available. Handy synopsis for you Flash forward to a time when we rest contentedly in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hans 1
    Gimp

Don't panic, switch to FreeBSD, it might kernel panic for you!

1. CAPS LOCK

Unlikely...

I've not seen a kernel panic since the 5 series.

1. Tom 7

Re: Unlikely...

I see them regularly but then I roll my own kernels for antique machines when pissed so its not surprising.

2. Tristan

The tagline for the RSS feed says windows server 2002!

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Trollface

"what did you do during Windows Server 2003 end of support?"

Opened a nice bottle of wine, sat back in my chair, and laughed.

Seriously, I have enough problems of my own without worrying about other's...

4. x 7

went to a couple of GPs surgeries this week for software rollouts, and discovered at both of them Windows 2000 servers still running which had never been taken out of service when the Win2003 servers were installed......

At both sites both were still running, with no plans to replace the 2003 servers, while no-one knew the 2000 servers were still there - or what they did

In both cases the machines must have been running without a break for around eight years

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Years back I burned one of my licenses putting Windows 2000 Advanced Server on his system. The only time it was dow was for Windows Updates or long power outages. I set it to take care of its self. Still running fine as his AV editor/converter. [its not connected to anything and the software stays at EOL version.] He loves it, which is all that matters.

* I happen to keep my other license as a VM. Now Server 2003 will join that as a reference system. Same deal. Install any remaining updates and lock it as a golden image. Thats my favorite version of Windows Server. Runs and runs, at the very least here. I'm quite sure I'll be seeing again in the field.

5. vmistery

It's the final countdown!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like