back to article Putin's lapdog? Zuckerberg questioned over quisling claims

Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg has publicly denied that he is Vladimir Putin's stooge, after Ukrainian Facebookers complained about posts and accounts being deleted, even though they didn't break the site's rules (according to them, at least). After President Petro Poroshenko joined in with calls for a separate Ukrainian …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is a surveillance platform, you morons

In what universe does it makes sense to demand that a PRISM-partner company like Facebook be politically neutral and allow free speech when their entire raison d'etre is harvesting your information for corporate and military purposes?

You are using their platform for free, what do you think pays the bills for their giant datacenters and thousands of employees?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Facebook is a surveillance platform, you morons

Paranoid much ?

2. Turtle

Re: Facebook is a surveillance platform, you morons

"In what universe does it makes sense to demand that a PRISM-partner company like Facebook be politically neutral and allow free speech when their entire raison d'etre is harvesting your information for corporate and military purposes?"

If Facebook is a platform for "harvesting your information for corporate and military purposes" then it is in the interests of more complete intelligence and surveillance to allow free speech. There is precious little sense in tracking constrained and self-censored speech.

I think we all know who the "moron" is, though...

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"Zuckerberg yesterday celebrated his 31st birthday."

And yet he still dresses like a 12 year old...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Zuckerberg yesterday celebrated his 31st birthday."

He reminds me of that sweet little boy who was the minor star of Close Encounters. He, however, is as evil as anyone can be. I wonder if facebook has not set about deleting all of its Muslim accounts?

3. disgruntled yank

Quisling?

The purported activities have no more to do with the Vidkun Quisling than they have to do with James Gosling or Linus Pauling.

1. Mark 85

Re: Quisling?

Exactly. Zuck doesn't appear to be a traitor in the Quisling model but it might have been better to question his being a lap-dog.... or maybe Putin is his lapdog? He who has the data can be king. Or something like that.

4. bill 20

What did you expect from a Yank?

As an American citizen, millionaire or not, what did you expect, other than a parochial response? Americans don't have the faintest clue about the rest of the world, and that includes their politicians. They live apart from the rest of the human race, with their own set of "values" and understanding of human nature, which they try to apply to the rest of us with no success, bless 'em.

5. i1ya

Ukrainian speeker here

As some of you can know, a tense conflict is going on between "pro-russian" and Ukrainian military in Eastern Ukraine. The situation reflects in actions between "pro-russian" and "pro-ukrainian" trolls in social networks and comments sections of news sites (quotes are intentional since political vector doesn't always repeat geographical location). The quite common, often-occuring issue is that "russian" Facebook department blocks pro-ukrainian, anti-russian posts in Facebook by request of hordes of (assumingly) russian Facebook users, who report abuse or Facebook policy violation on such posts.

The actiual problem has two parts. First, it is believeed that there is organised group of pro-russian commentards that fills-in abuse requests which leads to automated (because there are many requests by different users) posts takedown. Second part of problem, described by some experts in Russia and Ukraine, is that Ukrainian government and part of Ukrainian society believes that "Facebook Russian office" is located in Moscow and is loyal to "russian" part of audience. They think (or say that that think) that Facebook should create a sub-division that will modereate Ukrainian segment of the posts independently from Russian segment. Since we talk about politics, they "think" about that quite loudly.

P.S. I live in Ukraine and I'm quite opposed to actions of (pro-)Russian rebels here, but I tried to write as un-oppinionated as I could, that's why so many quote signs here :)

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Ukrainian speeker here

The first casualty of war is facebook.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like