back to article Tesco tries to talk Tesco Mobile up from 'Value' to 'Finest' ahead of sale

Tesco is rumoured to be selling off Tesco Mobile, its mobile phone network. The move comes as no surprise, with the company hauling back to its core businesses after dismal results, recently writing down assets to post a loss of £6.4bn. Figures given for the value of the business sit at about £700m. This is on the basis of …

1. eJ2095

overstreched

they should stick to selling grocery's

1. John P

Re: overstreched

and dictionaries :)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. 's water music
      Headmaster

grocery's what? Apostrophies?

1. Ralph the Wonder Llama
        Meh

Grocery's apostrophes. Obv.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Grocery's apostrophes. Obv.

No, your wrong; its Grocery's Apostrophe's.

1. eJ2095

F7 Key Broken

2. MikeS

>No, your wrong; its Grocery's Apostrophe's.

it seems you're wrong too.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>> >No, your wrong; its Grocery's Apostrophe's.

> it seems you're wrong too.

Yup, apostrophes don't grow on trees ... I had to pinch them from from 'it's' and 'you're'.

4. dogged

fine user of the Grocer's Apostrophe there, sir.

Nice to see that commentards can still do irony better than Alanis Morrisette.

2. John70

I wouldn't use Tesco for anything other than groceries if I had to shop there.

1. Loud Speaker

I wouldn't use Tesco for anything other than groceries<p>

Wot? Not even for grocer's apostrophy's?

3. kmac499

Get ready for a possible firesale of mid range handsets then.

When any of the big grocers quit a market their pricing seems to be based on the "if we can't shift it we'll have to pay landfill on it." attitude.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Doomed

Partly anyone reselling O2 Ireland or O2 Uk is now stuffed due to Three buying both.

Even apart from Tesco's other woes this is no surprise.

5. Snowy Silver badge

The losses look a little low I'm sure Tesco would love to have just lost £6.4m rather than the £6.4bn it did loss.

I would have used Send corrections but that link needs you to have a email program set up and I do all mind via a web interface.

6. Terry 6 Silver badge

Dammit

Only a few months back I went from Virgin Mobile to Tesco, because Virgin's customer service had been dire ( for mobile, I love my other Virgin Media services), and expensive.

I like my Tesco service.

I absolutely don't want to be thrown back to VM.

Is there a chance I will be allowed to exit my contract early?

I have more chance of sending messages attached to a flying pig.

Am I the only customer getting pretty pi**ed off by being sold on by people I chose to buy services from?

I have to emphasise this.

I made a consumer choice to leave Virgin Mobile and go to Tesco Mobile. ( And not to TalkTalk!)

But my choice is about to be stolen from me.

And there is f**k all I can do about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dammit

"But my choice is about to be stolen from me."

Join giffgaff. Like Tesco Mobile, uses O2's network, and better value than O2. Curiously enough the nipper has a Tesco Mobile PAYG sim, and I can track (my) topup costs, and come rain or shine, on very modest mixed use it costs about £10 a month. Looks to me like I'd be better off with a £7.50 contract sim only plan with giff gaff.

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

@ Terry 6

I disagree. You are more than able to go and get a mobile and contract via Vodaphone or Three for example.

And no, I didn't miss the finer nuance of your post. You make it sound as though you are being held in stalag 14 - when in fact you are able to go and get a new contract with any number of new suppliers should you wish.

Alternatively you could fire off a complaint to Ofcom... let me know how that works out for you.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: @ Terry 6

@ Arristotle's.....etc.

There's no fine nuance here.

I am stuck on a contract that I chose to pay Tesco for, but is being sold off to a supplier that I did not choose, potentially the supplier I moved away from.

At the end of my contract I can certainly move.

That is in the realm of the bleedin' obvious.

But there is nothing in my contract as far as I can tell which lets me tell the new owners to sling their hooks. Until it ends in about 18 months time

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @ Terry 6

Look at every other mobile sale in history, the likelihood is it won't go through within the remaining 18 months of your contract anyway. Heck they haven't even found a buyer yet.

8. Warm Braw

The company is fabulously scientific about valuing its self-space

Er, isn't that Facebook?

9. Marcus Aurelius
    WTF?

Bad value for money

I fail to see how getting £175mil as a one off is good value for a company generating £100 million per year.

10. paulf
    Holmes

"As O2 is being bought by Three"

O2 (well, O2 UK) isn't being bought by Three until it's been approved by regulators (in progress - brown envelopes pending).

"..an industry which has thrown away One2One, Cellnet and amazingly Orange (BT should resuscitate it),"

Since Orange (nee France Telecom) own the Orange brand I suspect BT would be stuck licensing it from them if they wanted to do that. At least they would own the EE brand outright (providing their lawyers are on the ball and they wanted to continue using it).

Anyway the Orange that was crushed out of existence a few years ago had nowhere near the goodwill attached to it that the Orange of Hans Snook back in the late 1990s did.

11. mr dsb

good value actually

switched from o2 to Tesco mobile- due to them using the same masts, yet charging less - I asked o2 to price match when my contract was up and they refused.

I also get a signal at work while colleagues on other networks fail miserably.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like