back to article BONKERS apocalyptic WAR WAGONS circle Vulture South

BONKERS The insane vehicles of Mad Max Fury Road cruised past Vulture South When the Vulture South team popped out for lunch today, members of the local constabulary directed us away from our usual haunts. The reason? A promo for the new flick Mad Max: Fury Road had rolled into the nearby Sydney Opera House. Roads were blocked …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

A title is not required

Looks like Simon Sharwood left some debris in place from his previous article.

1. ssharwood

Re: A title is not required

Correct. I used a story I'd created for the BitTorrent story, forgot I'd customised the URL, then put the Max story in there. Changing URL now. Silly me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where you using a camera on review?

If so I expect a 1/5 rating.

1. Antonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Where you using a camera on review?

Personally I thought it was all quite miraculous!...

While undeniably quite astonishingly abysmal, considering they were taken in the dark ("hoped the low light wouldn't make pics too horrid...") every shot appears to have been taken in full sunlight! Really quite incredible. Must have been one of them newfangled Microkia/Noksoft miracle phones wot Orwellski was raving so frothily about a while ago >;)

Not sure how "Vulture South's office at top right in the red circle." managed to find its way to the extreme top left corner of that snap though.

1. ssharwood

Not full sunlight by a long stretch. The Opera House forecourt has water on two sides and glare-making whiteish stone paving. Sydney today had low cloud and a stiff breeze. I tweaked the phone - a Galaxy S5 - as hard as I could, but the results weren't stellar. In my experience the S5's software usually does better. Trust me: the light was weird out there today.

1. frank ly

I see large patches of blue sky and objects are casting shadows. That's what we call a 'nice sunny day' in the UK.

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Yup that I'd agree is a nice sunny day around these parts as well.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Not sure how "Vulture South's office at top right in the red circle." managed to find its way to the extreme top left corner of that snap though.

Someone flipped the negative.

2. Schultz

Probably some dirt on the camera lens is scattering light. I'd bet that a majority of phones have nice fingerprints on the camera lens / window because people grab them wrong when groping in their pockets.

3. Pen-y-gors

Roadblocks

Were your usual lunchtime haunts compensated for loss of business by the film company? Seems a bit unfair if they can have the roads shut off to help them make money, and so local businesses lose custom.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enquiringminds want to know

"For the uninitiated, the Mad Max films take place in a post-apocalyptic Australia in which gangs of deranged maniacs roam the desert, battling in fearsomely customised vehicles. "

Yes, but are they based on a true story?

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth

Re: Enquiringminds want to know

This is a weird post-apocalyptic Australia which seems to have had several bulk freighters-worth of American big-block V8 cars imported, and all the myriads of Toyota landcruisers and Hilux pickups mysteriously disposed of. It also uses liquid hydrocarbons exclusively, which seeing as Australia doesn't have oil reserves worth speaking of is pretty bloody weird as well.

Much more realistic would be a horde of Toyota pickups, with producer gas units strapped onto the back of them burning wood to make a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide gas. This burns remarkably well in internal combustion engines, and lets you use them without relying on crude oil.

Granted, a sort of Max meets Steampunk look would be rather weird and you wouldn't expect the flashier vehicles to use this system, only the crummier workhorses of the fleet, but it would at least look a bit more realistic.

1. glen waverley

Pickups?

Shirley a hilux is a ute.

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Enquiringminds want to know

Google "Amadeus Basin oilfield." I stumbled upon it last year when driving from the West MacDonnell Ranges to Kings Canyon. There's a working oilfield out there. Not huge. But big enough that it's being exploited. And I can recommend a trip to the West Macs. Gorgeous country.

5. dan1980

Is there some editorial direction or style-guide that states that one must use the term 'luvvies'?

Being a decidedly British (not to mention faintly disparaging) term it seems somewhat forced coming from an Australian writer, working out of an Australian office, and used in reference to Australians at an Australian event promoting an Australian film.

Or perhaps not; it's been a long day and I was late taking my medication this afternoon.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

No directive. It's a term I like and hear used a bit in Australia. I'm aware that the vocabulary I use goes through phases. Right now I'm perhaps expressing a bit too much luvvie love.

1. dan1980

@Simon

Perhaps the fact that it sounds forced to me is that I only ever see it used in The Register - mostly by Mr. Orlowski - though it has been almost a decade since I worked anywhere close to media circles so that may be the greater part of it : )

Back to the story, I wish I knew this was happening - I work just up the road and wouldn't have minded a bit of a sticky-beak. Or, more honestly, I would have enjoyed muttering to myself that they've strayed too far from the originals while feeling very self-righteous about it.

2. Valeyard

are you local?

YEAH! Australian words for Australian people!

a man said "deja vu" on neighbours the other day. NEIGHBOURS! this simply cannot go on with their hoity toity words

Let's grab a few of these cars and kick-start the revolution brother!

(Well you do, I'm not Australian but I'll watch and supervise)

3. PhilipN Silver badge

"Luvvie"

Eyes passim

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The stereo system

It looks nice, but without seeing the speaker cables how can we know if it's audiophile quality?

1. Elmer Phud
      Boffin

Re: The stereo system

Please be assured that all cables and connectors are made of the highset quailty 'Sawyoucomingium'and plated with 'Takethepissium'

7. VinceH
    Facepalm

I understand that when water is drained away through a plughole, the 'whirpool' goes in the opposite directions in the Northern and Southern hemispheres, due to the coriolis effect.

Does that also affect how people perceive left and right? Because to my Northern hemisphere eyes, in the first picture the ringed office is in the top left, not the top right as the caption currently says!

1. Chris Leeson

Alas for myths...

"I understand that when water is drained away through a plughole, the 'whirpool' goes in the opposite directions in the Northern and Southern hemispheres, due to the coriolis effect."

Sadly not - the coriolis effect is to weak to affect a bath or sink.

You can see the coriolis effect if you create a special (several meters in diameter) bath, ruthlessly protect it from drafts and any heat sources (to prevent covection currents) and leave it standing for several weeks to let any eddy currents die down. It isn't an exciting or easy experiment to perform.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Happy

Re: Alas for myths...

Except, of course, in the US Embassy, where they have a contraption that counteracts the coriolis force to make the water spin the AMERICAN way.

2. ElectricRook

Much better to use an ocean. My oceanography prof told us the water stack up in central America is about 1 foot. That's a huge amount of water.

Seems though that just about every experience I've had with water draining in the northern hemisphere is that it causes a clockwise rotation. Unless heavily influenced . . . but I lost all the data, the dog ate it, and my mom shredded some.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Much better to use an ocean.

Have you ever tried to reserve an ocean for experiments? It's a sea of red tape.

8. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

from what ive heard this film is one long car chase with no story

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

And that's bad because ... ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deuce coupe

How do you get the door open on the deuce coupe? The exhaust is in the way.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Deuce coupe

There looks to be a very thin cut following the top of the pipes.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Deuce coupe

"Get the door open?" If you can't jump through the window, you're not allowed in.

10. ElectricRook

that's mad max

That's what a mad max movie is all about , lots of really cool reverse engineering , huge amounts of horse power, many pro wrestler types wearing totally punked out clothes and accessories . . . sadly very short on nice looking sheilas.

1. VeganVegan

Re: that's mad max

For sheilas you should watch The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

11. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

One of the odder features of the Mad Max universe is that despite the world being out of petrol, water and manners, the inhabitants still bother to put resources into customising vehicles for no good reason.

Are ... are you not familiar with people?

This would be near the top of my list for "most plausible features of the Mad Max films".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like