back to article Oculus Rift VR bucket will be seen on noggins near you in 2016

Oculus has announced that its Rift VR headset will ship to customers in the first quarter of 2016. A consumer version of the headset, which has slowly crawled towards the market since developer kit was flogged using Kickstarter, has been settled on. Oculus promises it will soon be strapped to noggins everywhere. Today's …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. HamsterNet

$2 BILLION dollars later and still no product.

These guys need to learn basic product launch from Apple. Launch it NOW as it is, then do the MK2 in a year that fixes the very basic issues in the MK1, and then do a MK3 that's what you are actually trying to launch in q1 2016. Build a user base, close out the competition, get a refresh cycle going.

F-all this dev stuff, as its not a Real market. All its doing is giving the competition time to launch before you.

1. deadbeef

Have patience!

Rushing an unfinished VR product to the consumer market would be a big mistake as Oculus has already said to Sony. If the product isn't fully ready and tested with all the motion issues sorted then consumer users will get motion sickness and could very well put everyone off using VR ever again and turn VR into a flop.

Yes everyone is excited and wants VR products right now (myself included) and it is taking time to get to market, but rushing and releasing a buggy unfinished product would be worse. You only have to take a look at some of the comments on Steam to see what happens when a developer releases a v1.0 product which is clearly unfinished and is still Early Access beta or even alpha quality.

Personally I would rather they took the time to ensure that the quality is there.

3. AbelSoul

Shut up...

.... and take my money!

More seriously, I don't even have a computer capable of utilising this wonderful thing but I haven't been so excited about a new piece of technology for some time so will probably invest when the time comes. Let's hope it lives up to expectations.

4. Ashton Black

Well.

I came *this* close to buying a Mk2 dev kit. Kind of glad I didn't, as I'd like to see what the competition has to offer before investing in a VR/AR system.

1. Boothy

Re: Well.

I've got a DK 2, but I too will be waiting to see what happens.

My only issue would be if games were updated to support VR, but only one specific brand of headset.

I'd like to be able to pick a VR headset based on performance/quality/cost, not on which games you can play with it.

5. AMBxx Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Look on the bright side

You won't see people walking down the street wearing one

1. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: You won't see people walking down the street wearing one

You sure about that?

Wish I had your confidence.

1. Oninoshiko
        Trollface

Re: You won't see people walking down the street wearing one

well, people won't see you when walking down the street wearing one.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Look on the bright side

You won't see people walking down the street wearing one

You hope you won't see people walking down the street wearing one. Everyone else will be ROFL'ing.

There fixed it for you.

1. frank ly

Re: Look on the bright side

They would be ROFLing but the head bucket wearer would see them smiling and giving approving/admiring glances (until the bus ran over him).

6. Boothy
    WTF?

Microsoft, what challenge?

Quote: "to challenge the Rift with HoloLens".

Rift is V.R. HoloLens is O.R. not the same market, so how exactly is HoloLens going to challenge the Rift (or any other VR headset) for market space?

So if you want fully immersive VR, you'll buy a Rift (or other VR headset), if you want OR, you get a HoloLens (or other OR headset).

Not saying you won't get games running on the HoloLens (I can image some would be quite cool), but they won't be the same sort of games you'd have running under VR.

I could image the Besiege game being quite good to play in HoloLens, if they can get enough performance into the device. (HoloLens is a standalone device, so self contained, so your going to be CPU/GPU/Memory/Storage limited, unlike the Rift).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Microsoft, what challenge?

Presumably O.R. = "Orgmented Reality"?

Is this you first language, sir?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Overlaid Reality?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Probably "Orgasmic Reality".

"So the missus/hubby is a bit plain...? No problem if you're using OR. OR overlays their head/body with that of your preferred partner in real time."

Now that would keep things interesting. And make money. :D

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll sit back and see

Other devices may be better, and not have a strong facebook connection which will inevitable involve warehousing data.

No point in jumping on what could be a dodo product, I'm thinking Sony Betamax, BSB Squarial, Sony MiniDisc and Philips & Panasonic's Digital Compact Cassette.

1. Haku

Re: I'll sit back and see

I'm with you on the sitting back and seeing, what with the potential competition and that Facebook own it, however, like with most things that have a continuing 'invention evolution' if you will, if you're interested in getting some good VR kit then you'll have to make the plunge at some point, making the wisest decision you possibly can for what you buy at that moment in time, or you'll be forever sitting on the side waiting for the holy grail whilst watching everyone play with their new toys and not being able to join in on the playtime.

8. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Sounds like a desperate attempt to keep a bit of momentum as far bigger and better funded competitors move rapidly towards launching products.

9. phil dude
    Thumb Up

proteins...

I wonder if it will help in visualising my proteins...?

On the other hand my MD box would be a monster gaming box....

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like