back to article Google officially doubles EU lobbying – but true figure is surely higher

Google doubled its EU lobbying efforts last year – but the real figure is likely to be much higher than it has declared, as it doesn’t include money spent on ongoing disputes. The Californian data slurper and hoarder overtook [paywall] Goldman Sachs as the biggest lobbyist in the US last year and is the biggest Federal …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do no evil

...get others to do it on your behalf.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do no evil

There is also "don't get caught" and "blame someone else and hope no one notices it was you"

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Do no evil

You mean like the nameless "Rogue admin" when it was obviously the fault of whoever architected the network and policies, or just bad procedure.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

Wait...

So Microsoft is spending more on lobbying in Europe than Google are, even after Google doubled theirs?

3. Alister

More chocolate dessert, Commissioner?

...and finally, sir, a wafer-thin mint?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
      Thumb Up

...and finally, sir, a wafer-thin mint?

Thumbs up for the Meaning of life reference, I can so visualise this in some swanky Brussels restaurant, especially if I add a French accent :).

4. Crazy Operations Guy

``privacy in a report marked “Who Has Your Back”''

Depends on who they mean by "Your"...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Antitrust actions in the US were dropped because of its lobbying of the whitehouse. I hope the EU doesn't fall for the same trap. Google has an unhealthy control over the digital world from our browsers to our smart phones, even to the internet connection we use with Google Project Fi and Google Fiber. Also not forgetting search and video and maps and email. If the EU does nothing like the US has done nothing Google could be the last man standing. Want to do a search in a few years, then you'll have a fine choice between Google or Google.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like