back to article Astroboffins mine data in pursuit of lonely, homeless RUNAWAY GALAXIES

Astronomers have observed 11 runaway galaxies wandering aimlessly around in spaaace. The discovery was revealed by star-gazing boffin Igor Chillingarian of Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (HSCA) and Moscow State University, who was the lead author of a study published in the Science journal on Friday. Scientists …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cosmic dandruff

Our clusters are shedding!

2. Little Mouse

UP TO 75% OFF!!!!

I reckon I'd struggle a bit to ever reach "More than a million miles per hour", but I reach speeds of "Up to 6 million miles per hour" every day without breaking a sweat.

Tip - Whenever you see it, always substitute the phrase "up to" with "less than". It means the same and you're far less likely to emerge from the New Year sales with heaps of unwanted and overpriced tat.

1. Tim Bergel
      Thumb Up

Re: UP TO 75% OFF!!!!

Absolutely! In my youth I read somewhere "always remember that 'up to X' includes the number zero" and it has served me in good stead over far to many years.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"use the power of the archives"

Now that's something I'm going to have to remember.

use the power of the archives

. . .

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    Alien

Niven was right!

The Pierson's Puppeteers are real!

(Ok so you really have to have read all of Larry Niven's stuff to get that joke.)

Maybe I should have gotten a masters in English (Science Fiction) ?

5. Mark 85

Are they running away from this universe? Or running towards something better? Just asking...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a classic three-body interaction"

So it's a menage-a-trois then?

1. Michael Thibault

Re: "a classic three-body interaction"

>So it's a menage-a-trois then?

Seems it was. We missed all the action.

7. Bunbury

My little runaway

Unfortunately the article is paywalled. But reading this piece it seems to be saying that that IF these galaxies escaped from an averagely central position in an average cluster then the escape velocity would need to be about such and such.

But if you don't know where they've come from, then how can you tell if this has actually happened or not?

1. The last doughnut

Re: My little runaway

True, they may not all be runaways. Some of them may be delinquents from bad neighbourhoods.

1. Alistair

Re: My little runaway

Nah, they're just lazy, entitled, layabouts looking for a free ride!.

(and at that pace, WHAT a ride!, hey -- we need a FTL motorcycle icon!!!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like