back to article Dissing the Valley and ignoring unicorns: The tech boom Oakland style

"Last year, people were surprised that Vator Splash came to Oakland, this year they're thinking 'yeah, that's about right'." So claimed Libby Schaaf, the new mayor of the Bay Area's hippest place to be, the new "Brooklyn by the Bay" – yes, we're talking about Oakland. Schaaf was opening 2015's Vator Splash conference this …

1. Steve K

This is like the old (UK) Book Clubs

JustFab's model reminds me of the Book Clubs you used to get in the Sunday supplements here in the UK in the 1980's.

Same idea, except you got books at a discounted price in exchange for your monthly fee - which would be charged unless you opted out. All by post in those days too.

Wait long enough and an idea comes round again....

Steve

2. roizen

big story missed

Hey Kieren - thanks for coming to Oakland - always great to have new folks here!

What was really cool about vator splash oakland this year was the deep dive into topics on day 1, and the breadth of topics (and the diversity of the speakers!) on day 2 - maybe not the hype and nice chairs you may be used to across the pond (bay or ocean ;) - and certainly not a gaudy tech conference vibe (never been our style) - but most certainly an event which was pushing progress and knowledge.

It would have been great if you could have captured the essence of the event. Take a look at the speaker page - and tell me it's typical for tech events. Today was awesome.

http://events.vator.tv/2015-splash-oakland/#speakers

We're pushing into new ground on many fronts. Startup city, startup community, startup conference.

Hope to see you next year!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cacophony

Cacophony is what comes to mind. 50 odd speakers? Sorry, I am with stupid on this one, once again, what was the message if there was any?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oakland actaully pushing the same ground as always

Lived in Oakland for 10 years. I heard the seven shots from the Kalashnikov that one police officer was murdered by in my upscale neighborhood. My dogs were poisoned, cars broken in to twice, three neighboring houses broken in to. One body dumped on our street. This was in a nice area mind you.

Yes Oakland has lots of great diversity. Its so hip. I love getting pan handled every time I pump gas, or go to the ATM, or grocery store, or ANY other public space. So glad to have left that pit behind. Cant imagine this Oakland renaissance will fare any better or longer than the last one.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Finder Keeper

Re: Oakland actaully pushing the same ground as always

That real rain is called gentrification. And it's a comin'

1. dagrichards

Yeah, that's the problem. Gentrifiers... with their money, and jobs. Tax paying citizens, feh!. Pushing out the salt of the earth pan handlers, burglars, and crack dealers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Personally I know the alley, where jack feeds on the birds of night.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon