back to article Crap ad app hack hole affects '100 MEELLLION'

Two security bods reckon a software library used by popular apps exposes up to 100 million people to smartphone-hijacking hackers. NowSecure's Andrew Hoog and Ryan Welton claim a library called Adlibr executes code downloaded from servers without verifying whether or not the material has been tampered with in transit – …

1. veti Silver badge

Another good reason for Windows Phone

How many WinPhone apps have more than 100k downloads?

1. RyokuMas
      Stop

Re: Another good reason for Windows Phone

Well, if the simple little Galaxian-inspired game that I wrote can do it with almost zero promotion, then I guess there are plenty of others...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Android kingpin Google says few published exploits result in real-world attacks."

Now there's an approach with a less than stellar track record.

3. Elmer Phud

AdLibr

"I'm a great ad-libber, I ad libber for lunch"

(Milligan)

4. Jonathan Richards 1
    Thumb Down

Infographic abuse

That bar chart is abominable. The first bar is for an interval width of 400K. There is no information for the |500K -1M| class; and then the next bar is 4M wide - ten times bigger than the first one, and the third one is 5M wide, just because consistency is so bo-o-o-ring, I guess. My reaction on seeing research presented this way is to think that the 'researchers' don't have enough good data to construct a proper histogram.

5. Alister

Crap ad app hack hole

For some reason, I find that collection of syllables almost impossible to say correctly, you should promote it as a tongue twister.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

Yay ad blockers

enough said.

7. unwarranted triumphalism

Keep going with that lame 'Dr Evil mispronounces large multipliers' joke

It's not getting old and stale at all, oh no.

8. John Tserkezis

"Look at what apps you install, Welton said. Recognize the apps that are driving risk"

No shit Sherlock. Especially interesting comment when you have no way at all at being abeing able to tell what's crapware or not. No problem I hear you say, just don't use any mobile apps that communicate with the internet when they don't have to.

Congratulation, your smart phone is now dumb.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like