back to article Twitter direct message INVASION: How to stop EVERYONE spaffing into your DMs

Twitter has changed the way it delivers direct messages: anyone on the micro-blabbing site, even those you're not following, can now send you private tweets – if you so wish. Normally, only the twits you've decided to follow can send you direct messages, so this feature, when enabled, throws inboxes open to the whole world. …

1. Crazy Operations Guy

I've been following that advice since I first heard of Twitter

And as such I don't have to deal with spam from them (Or what passes for content on that site). I've never seen an advantage to Twitter over just subscribing to the RSS feeds of the websites I care about. It'd be useless for posting my view on anything anyway as I write in complete thoughts, so anything that I'd post to Twitter would be links to my personal blog, which has an RSS option already.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Step 2. Opt-in

Step 3. 420 blaze it.

3. Mark 85

<grumpy old man mode on> Twitter? pffffffftttttttt!!!! <grumpy old man mode off>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter

Time Killer

Log off: read a book.

5. frank ly

Squawk

"... so you can privately send your appreciation for the salted caramel without any barriers."

It seems that the world has become very trivial. When did this happen?

1. Irongut

Re: Squawk

Personally I find telling the staff how much you like it while buying the ice cream much more effective. You might even get an extra scoop!

6. Daniel Hutty

Really Opt-In?

I was seeing a fair amount of noise on Twitter last night suggesting that, for some people at least, the check-box was checked by default... I don't seem to have this checkbox yet (along with a few others I saw tweeting about it last night); guess the rollout of this "feature" hasn't reached me yet...

7. krakmh

Its an awesome Feature

I love this new feature, Twitter now become real social site, before this its only news site but now they are social but problem is mainly with spam messages, I want to block spam messages, here is another guide for iOS and Android user to block twitter direct messaging on ther account https://talktopoint.com/how-to-disable-direct-messaging-feature-on-twitter/ you would like it

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like