back to article It's not you, it's EE ... again! Mobe network hit by 'PDP authentication failure' snafu

UK mobile carrier EE has been struck by yet another "PDP authentication failure" on its network. Customers have been complaining about the technical cockup on Twitter, where gripes are slowly trickling through to the company. Another @EE issue. PDP authorisation failure on my iPad Air so no internet. #biggestnetwork = # …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"cancel your contract with EE, (good luck doing that, by the way), and buy a SIM from Three, or anybody else."

After EE went 4G round here, me and a few neighbours who'd had years of decent service on Orange found the 3G service basically useless.

It did indeed take a number of months to leave Orange, and I moved to another network with decent coverage at home.

But then I started to spend more time in a place where the new network's coverage was as bad as EE's was at home.

Not only that, BT went and bought the new network company.

I think I'd rather have a monopoly (with decent coverage and decent service for a decent price) rather than a race to the gutter in price+service terms and a lottery in coverage terms.

1. Mephistro
        Holmes

@ AC

"I'd rather have a monopoly (with decent coverage and decent service for a decent price)"

That's a huge oxymoron. The moment you get a monopoly, prices go through the roof and service quality sinks. :-(

I'd rather go with lots of competition and Antitrust keeping an eye on the providers, just in case. ;-)

2. cantankerous swineherd

payg = no issues with abusive contracts. service may still be crap of course.

2. tin 2

Happens quite a lot more often than this IME. last time I saw it was the last week of March.

3. Leeroy

Not that bad

Work phone is on EE and apart from the patchy coverage along some parts of the M4 I don't have any issues. The fact that I can add extra data in a few seconds is much better than the previous contact with Orange, though accounts don't like the extra on the bill I don't have to pay and claim it back :p

There are some areas without coverage but my personal mobile on O2 rarely gets a better signal.

1. Vimes

Re: Not that bad

Compare and contrast with 3UK, where data is unlimited.

1. Roger Greenwood

"where data is unlimited"

Not any more it's not - try getting a new (or updated) contract with that and computer says no.

1. Davidoff

"where data is unlimited"

Not any more it's not - try getting a new (or updated) contract with that and computer says no."

Really? Seems to me there are plenty of unlimited plans:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm a customer of Virgin mobile, and AFAIK they just piggyback off EE's stuff. I assumed it was my phone being lame so I re-installed CM on my phone, I was wondering why it didn't fix it until I noticed it was working again a couple of hours later. Oh well =/

5. circusmole

If true, what a lame excuse...

"The screw up was apparently due to a power failure that caused an EE database to restart"

Either it is total BS, or EE have serious data centre management issues. I favour the former but would not be at all surprised by the latter.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: If true, what a lame excuse...

Perhaps they could have a whip round between senior management for a UPS.

6. Steve 53

PDP

The mobile world has it's own set of acronyms you're average geek will never come across.

In this case, PDP would be Packet Data Protocol, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_core_network#PDP_context - not the vintage DEC system

7. Confuciousmobil

Data costs

I was at Brooklands yesterday and couldn't access the Internet on 3G. It was a pain.

But if someone can tell me of another carrier that will provide me 6 months of data (limited to 1Gb /month) then I will certainly consider it, but I have yet to find anyone apart from T-mobils who can do this.

1. Confuciousmobil

Re: Data costs

£18/month is nearly what I pay every 6 months. How does £108 for six months compare to £20? I don't need calls and it's PAYG. Why would I pay £18/month rather than £20 /6 months? :confused:

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

3 and Giff Gaff apparently seem to be good at that sort of thing...

1. Confuciousmobil

If use Giffgaff on my phone but for data only neither come near £20 for six months data.

8. eJ2095

Orange

The best one was i rang up on Sat to get a increase on the teenagers data allowance (Only on a low tariff with 250mb)

The guy from India said that the phone had been sing 3gig + of mobile data a month..

To which i replied how is that possible i removed the APN ages ago off the phone..

Then the line went silent.....

9. Jon Massey
    Trollface

You'd have thought...

they'd have upgraded to a VAX by now...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like