back to article Amazon whisks desktop apps into cloud bazaar in virty PC push

Amazon Web Services cut its teeth providing data center infrastructure in the cloud, but lately it's made some coin serving up virtual desktops, too. Now it has expanded that offering with new services that allow IT admins to purchase and manage desktop applications via AWS. Amazon first jumped into the virtual desktop …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

So annoying.

No GNU/Linux desktop support - that's really too bad. Workspaces could be a great alternative to Citrix to create affordable access for Windows-only apps from non-Windows computers.

And Flash required. Good lord. Keep partying like it's 1999, Amazon.

1. elDog

Re: So annoying.

I guess you didn't see the hidden bit about the kickbacks from the vendor$ to Amazing when the user provisions an app/OS on the elastic thingee. Hard to get pennies from the 'nix freetards when they run their far superior wares.

Again, if we aren't the johns, we are the ...

2. Sokolik

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but...

...speaking of Amazon...is it just my ignorance or imagination...or has not Amazon *yet* to turn a profit?

1. Gerard Krupa

Re: Not that this has anything to do with anything, but...

They tend to flip-flop between profit and loss but they reported a higher-than-expected profit last quarter. Their policy is to feed revenue back into the business rather than shareholder pockets, though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sokolik

Re: Not that this has anything to do with anything, but...

Thank you. The part about plowing the profit back into the enterprise, rather than into shareholder-equity, I get. However, this I don't get: it seems a strangely-mercurial market pattern for a brand seeming prevalent and so popular. Guess this is the "21st Century"/"digital" economy old guys like me must learn, and to which we must adapt. Thanks again.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My experience with AWS desktop very recent was quite poor as well. We ended up going with a local SP to deliver desktops to our customers instead of reselling the AWS workspace. This is good, but aren't there companies that own licenses and rent them out as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like