back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Deep-fried cheesy Hungarian

Last month, we ventured onto the streets of the Czech Republic to bring our wobbly dining fans smažený sýr – a deep-fried cheese delicacy entirely suitable for post-pub consumption. It didn't take long for a couple of Hungarian readers to flag up local classic flat bread-based lángos as an alternative nosh neckfiller, and …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Love your new nail polish, Lester!

Katerina doing the, er, donkey work again?

1. James Delaney

Re: Love your new nail polish, Lester!

We don't need no food safety.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Happy

Suggested improvement?

A skilful knife cut and there's room to insert a couple of rashers of bacon.

1. Richard 81

Re: Suggested improvement?

...or a burger.

3. Nick Kew

I think I had that ...

Fits the description of what I had in Budapest last year, as the only non-meat option on the menu when out with a bunch of folks at ApacheCon. My first reaction on seeing fried cheese on the menu was hold-my-nose-and-..., but it was surprisingly delicious.

4. x 7

Cheesy Hungarians?

There's several working girls in Bolton who fit that description quite well....

5. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Unhappy

Had one of these once and wished I hadn't.

1. x 7

"Had one of these once and wished I hadn't."

Is that the girl or the food?

6. Cliff

My god that looks good

I could handle one of those right now

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cosmetic touch?

Looking at the photo progression, it seems pretty good at removing nail varnish as well...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cosmetic touch?

And why the combination of red and blue???

You ask that of a teenage girl? The obvious answer is "why not?" :)

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Cosmetic touch?

Exactly. I tend not to comment on these matters.

8. x 7

Cheese is acidic you know. The poor girl couldn't help it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm enjoying this series but I thought I'd pass along an easy nosh from my time, many decades ago, at the University of Virginia, once a major drinking and party school who's school song contained the refrain "I think we need another drink for the glory of the U V A."

It's called a Grills With. Take a glazed yeast donut, fry both sides in a pan, and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the hole. A simple nosh for simple cooks.

1. skeptical i
      Thumb Up

grilled donuts

In the commercial district near where I went to University there was a diner that'd been there since forever and served a "T.H.B." -- toasted honey bun -- made by slicing a cinnamon sticky bun horizontally and grilling both sides (using "Gold'n Griddle" or similar brand of butter flavored oil) on the griddle. Add a bottomless cup of stand-a-fork-in-it strong coffee and it's yum, yum, gimme some. :^)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you have bacon with it?

1. Mark 85

I would think so. after all, bacon is called the "duct tape of food" by many.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"bacon is called the "duct tape of food" by many"

If your bacon is light on one side and dark on the other, you're cooking it wrong.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

Re: "bacon is called the "duct tape of food" by many"

If you're bacon is sticky enough to repair rally cars - or hang spotlights with missing safety chains (ahem!) - then you're doing it really very wrong indeed...

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Can you have bacon with it?

How can you not?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bacon?

As a Hungarian I fully support your suggestion.

Btw, the same "langos" in South Africa is called VETKOEK (fat cake). Just google it, and they have all sort of interesting fillings for it, for example curried mince (the perfect English post-pub nosh with some Hungarian/South African addition).

11. Phuq Witt
    Flame

'Proving the dough' and then 'Leaving for 30 mins'?

For Health & Safety reasons alone, no post-pub culinary adventure should involve a recipe which requires waiting [not once, but twice in this case] for yeast to do it's thing.

That's just asking for the 'chef' to be hard at work snoring on the sofa, while the kitchen burns down.

1. x 7

Re: 'Proving the dough' and then 'Leaving for 30 mins'?

that's what wives and girlfriends are for. When it burns down you can blame them

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you sure this is the right procedure ?

In the part of the world where I come from (pretty close to Hungary) they put the cheese inside the dough (the result is something like a half-moon) before deep frying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are you sure this is the right procedure ?

Yes, in Hungary they put it on the top, in some other countries like South Africa they put it inside like in a pocket.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shopping centre

Place in Hanley shopping centre does 'em (my missus could confirm the exact place). Being a sweet tooth I had one with nutella.. Oh my god, that's good and marmite as its savoury alternative kicks arse too!!!!

14. s. pam Silver badge
    Pint

Yuck, but here are some KILLERS.....

Here's some shit that'll cause you to immediately need a defibrulator:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2015/apr/06/meat-cheese-and-lots-of-calories-mlb-stadium-foods-in-pictures

1. x 7

Re: Yuck, but here are some KILLERS.....

no wonder so many Americans are fat......

but how do you eat that stuff without squirting the sauce all over your shirt?

15. reeingre

It's a little bit thick, but looks great! Another popular topping is chopped garlic mixed with vinegar. It really tastes good.

16. nagyeger

garlic + sour cream + cheese

Is the only true way to eat them.

And the middle should be as thin as a thin&crispy pizza.

Next challenge: Then round it off with some Somloi galuska (Hungarian trifle)

17. shinanygnz
    Pint

Go to snack of choice

in Leipzig at Wave Gotik Treffen, washed down with a nice cold Radeberger or Ur-Krostitzer, well several usually. Roll on this May

18. Paul Woodhouse

Had a nice weekend in Budapest last year and thoroughly enjoyed one of these, really hit the spot first thing in the morning, after a few lagers :D...

the Hungarians are worse than the Scots for frying everything though, if I spent much time there I'm guaranteed a heart attack, think the best thing I ate there was described as steak and cheese on the menu, what actually came was a thin slab of beef, that had been smothered in cheese, then dipped in batter and deep fryed, on a mountain of chips... was awesome... but I could hear my arteries crying for help....

19. David 132 Silver badge
    Pint

I made this last night - and survived

I made this last night; my wife was torn between excitement that I was cooking for once, and trepidation/mortal dread that I was cooking for once.

It went pretty well despite my sober state. The quantities given in the article made 6 pieces, although I suspect I could/should have made them thinner than I did. For what it's worth, I used grated Gruyère and lashings of sour cream. Delicious! And we both survived!

I note the suggestions above about adding garlic, or folding the cheese inside the dough - and will certainly give those a try.

Thanks Lester, another good recipe. Keep 'em coming.

20. Pedigree-Pete

Stovies...ask any self respecting Geordie.

Over to you Lester.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon