back to article Big Blue to give car insurers IoT peeking powers

IBM has announced it will spend US$3 billion over four years on a new internet of things business unit. The company reckons the internet of things label now applies to all the the smart city stuff it did for water and traffic management applications in recent years. The idea seems to be to take that work, sprinkle on a little …

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

IoT

Like Web 2.0 rhea, but worse.

1. BillG
      Megaphone

Re: IoT

IoT = Internet of Targets.

I predict many more "IoT Thingie Hacked" articles on The Reg in the future.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inflow of Tossers

3. Tapeador

But

Then insurers will know I am driving dangerously! They're trying to take away our FREEEEEDOM

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: But

Insurers will know I'm driving safely, despite my 25 years experience, spotless driving record, clean licence and 10 years of no claims history telling them that. And then they'll still try and batter me for that time I braked too hard to avoid squashing a cat, or accelerated too hard overtaking a tractor.

No thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But

Not sure how this tech will detect the "I've not had an accident in 50years, but I've seen hundreds" brigade, either...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM

Being as they supplied tech to the Nazi regime, it's not really suprising they are going to supply intrusive tech to insurance industry.

5. earl grey
    FAIL

yeah, no

That is all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insurance

at what point does insurance stop being a cost pool spreading risk? If it's finely tuned to me as an individual driver maybe it's cheaper for me to not have insurance coverage beyond the basic required by law.

Targeted charging for younger drivers seems to have reached the point of stopping people driving, which is going to do wonders for the profits of insurance companies in the future, though when we have driverless cars that's going to make the insurance situation interesting.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Not interested

Not interested. If a newer car has some kind of module that tries to "phone home", I will remove it. I know damned well, these modules will not be used to *reduce* anybody's rates, only to increase them.

Also, the existing module an insurance co. or two advertise (that plug into the OBD2 port) do not recognize good driving habits, just hard braking, acceleration, and speed. So the jackass that drifts down the onramp at 45MPH and fails to yield, cutting into 70MPH traffic (causing problems for everyone else), then goes into the left lane (we drive on the right here) and becomes a 55MPH traffic obstruction (causing problems for everyone else), will be seen as "Hey, they really aren't accelerating that hard, good on them!" while someone using a badly designed interchange that requires some hard braking or accelerating to safely match the flow of traffic will be dinged, not for using the badly designed intersection but because this stupid unit sees them braking or accelerating.

1. Oldfogey

Re: Not interested

And then..... Your insurance company rings up and says we're not getting data from your car. You're obviously driving with a fault/ driving in weird places with no internet/ etc.

Whatever it is, we're putting your rates up.

What you need is to hack the dongle and feed it with data they will like.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not interested

That or start your own personal insurance company that owns a repair garage/ put all vehicles on company insurace.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like