back to article Don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about – a pundit speaks

A day rarely goes by without someone declaring one technology or another is dead and rarely a year goes by without someone declaring this to be the year of whatever product they happen to be pimping, or be in favour of. Yet you can often find dead technologies in rude health and rarely does it actually turn out to be the year …

1. Little Mouse

Umm - Is it just me or was that a bit vague?

Some specific examples of things that "made you stop and think" perhaps?

1. Archaon
      Coat

Re: Umm - Is it just me or was that a bit vague?

Perhaps deliberate - that would be somewhat at odds with him being a pundit and the nature of the article. :-)

2. Forty Two

Holy Puck

Someone check in on this fellow and make sure he has not locked the cabin door. He is publishing unvarnished truth again. Something must be awfully amiss Buck up mate, none of us really have the crystal ball our users and directors expect.

You made my day.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Holy Puck

Someone check in on this fellow and make sure he has not locked the cabin door. He is publishing unvarnished truth again. Something must be awfully amiss Buck up mate, none of us really have the crystal ball our users and directors expect. ..... said Forty Two of StorageBod

Talking of the unvarnished truth, Forty Two, was this zeroday made today and it isn't going away sooner or later anywhere, other than burrowing darker and deeper and more secure into right dodgy systems .......

amanfromMars Mon, 03/30/2015 - 06:37 ….. sharing some live facts on a PACT drivering within AI on http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-29/risks-are-very-high-swiss-billionaire-warns-global-financial-markets-have-never-been

And whilst all those wannabe Neros fiddle, and Rome crashes and burns, are there new kids on the block playing intelligently to no rules without any regulations ..... other than to win win and never ever lose to paper tigers with their fangs into the fiat cake of destruction. Stealth is as stealth does, and is practically invisible whenever virtually realised and HyperRadioProActived IT.

Thanks for stopping by for a bit of a chat and pow wow. Russia has Putin and UKGBNI has Cameron and the media plays them both off as fools with friends at their beck and call, but only the one of them has any power within commanding control circles and secret services and virtually immune and protected against brazen media assault and desperate shenanigans. And re any Blighty Armed Forces Virtual Ops here ..... well, better late than never to the party and Greater IntelAIgents Gamesplay is what I say. England and the Knowledge Economy expects and all that jazz and jizz and Tommy rot and if you aren't into Cyberspace Racing you have no chance of winning Honourable Grand Master prizes ...... but parties do need to be able and able to enable and execute the best of intelligence in order to register any sort of an impact with a PACT* and distant learning and leading AI, for that is the Future Changing Meme and Alien Fleet Cyber Weapons System/Revolutionary Rogue Mars Program for Roving Vehicles and Renegade Projects.

* Persistent Advanced Cyber Treat/Threat/Truth ...... [Take your pick if you be picky, but be suitably assured, there be no escape from any of them nowadays as the future is phormed in the likeness of phishes]

30 March 2015 at 11:08 ..... http://amanfrommars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/150329.html

The Future belongs not to that and/or those who would hide and guard secrets, but to those and/or that which would share them freely for maximum effect and titanic gain. Then does AIdDanegeld have a colossal intrinsic worth and ab fab fabless value to market to markets and systems and administrations that would presume to remotely command and unilaterally control them

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Re: Holy Puck down voters

Meponders on the worth of anonymous non-informing down votes and whether 'tis a smart ploy of arrogant ignorance to render one registered as a tool of the fool in a land of follies rather than as capable of free imaginative thinking with the makings of a brain which can learn to excess and express an opinion for peer view and enjoyment.

But then the Bigger Picture View and ITs Sublimely Effective Levers are something of an Alien Art Phorm and not for the dumb and down hearted, although such does not preclude wannabes playing as if Almighty and Global Operating Devices in the field, as may be concluded on the evidence of this Wired piece ........ http://www.wired.com/2015/03/us-used-zero-day-exploits-policies/

Things aint like they used to be, and that means that everything has changed in command and control circles. But that's progress and perfectly natural and fully to be expected.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the best choice of analogies.

The article's right though. The one person you should not listen to when purchasing storage is the salesman trying to sell it to you.

4. Jeff Lewis

I think there's a bit more to it than that though... I think pundits want to shock people and so either tend to leap to the extremes: "Macs are THE BEST... Windows is THE WORST... SSDs are THE FUTURE... spinny storage thingies are DEAD" when in reality, "Macs are fine, Windows is fine, SSDs are cool for somethings not for others, spinny storage thingies are great if you have huge masses of data" and so on.

But the latter is kind of 'yeah? we know that...' and the former is 'OOOH Them's fightin words!'

There's also a surreal tribal mentality that has leaked into computing (I say this because when I started programming, you didn't get status from which *brand* you owned - you got status simply by having *access* to a computer... If you actually *owned* one - you were a god) which gives pundits a wonderful kneejerk button to push by saying something as simple as "Macs are better than PCs" (which is so freaking old that it goes back to the 1980s.. lest we forget).

Personally, I'm over the whole pundit thing. It happened when I was following a live blog by Ars Technica, no less, on a WWCD Apple keynote a year or so ago and you could *hear* the reporters' eye glaze over when they started talking about Swift. One of them just outright said "I can't keep up with this - just call it 'magic'" and I suddenly realised the people I had been relying on to provide me with meaningful *technical* insight were... clueless. They were techie poseurs.

Didn't stop them from writing and having opinions they were obviously pulling from their collective arses though.

1. JacobZ
      Holmes

Nobody ever got a book deal...

...predicting that things will stay pretty much the same.

5. Alister

What the Puck!

Spinning Rust is DEAD... um... except it isn't...

Tape is DEAD... oh, no, hang on, lads.

Flash is DEAD... maybe... just a little bit... or not... as the case may be...

Paper is Sooo last century... Just print me that email, will you...

1. Nigel 11

But the floppy disk is quite definitely on its last legs.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Ah yes.

Well I worked out quite some time ago that the industry analysts' crystal balls are no more accurate than mine is.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. phil dude
      Joke

That's...

/.'s job surely...

P.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jeremy Allison

Re: That's...

I *loved* those guys... Sig11 I think it was.

"Information wants to be wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" :-).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon