back to article Atomic clocks' ticks tamed by 3,000 entangled atoms

MIT and University of Belgrade boffins have taken a big step in applying the quantum property of entanglement to macro systems: they're claiming to have roped together more than 2,900 rubidium atoms with a single photon. In what lead author Vladan Vuletić says is a “new class” of entangled states, in work that they believe …

1. frank ly

Amazing?

What I find interesting, and amazing, is that the act of detection of the photon (which has had its polarisation shifted by interaction with the atoms) seems to affect the entangled state of the atoms. Did I get that right?

I'm still wondering how you can use that as a clock.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yes but....

...can it go a full day without be charged?

3. Ashton Black
    Joke

Boffinry!

Yet another story, with cool science bods NOT inventing my personal jetpack!!!

It's almost like they're not interested!

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Boffinry!

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/robot-chicken/jet-pack-testing/

2. Bleu

Re: Boffinry!

Personal jet packs have long existed, been in movies and on TV, they just don't seem to have much staying power.

The New Zealand crew attempting to do something similar with fans seem to have a good idea.

One would imagine that it would still be as noisy as hell for the person mounted in the thing.

4. Adolph Clickbait

Ho much ..

for the gold plated version

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

For a ho ?

About $50, I'd say.

1. Crazy Operations Guy
        Boffin

Well, you could get plenty by way of electrolyzing laboratory-grade H20. Put it into a gas centrifuge to separate out the remaining Hydrogen and the trace elements.

5. Nightkiller

We will need this accuracy in order to build our a la Star Trek Transporters.

1. Bleu

There will never be such a thing in thy or my lifetime. Reasons are many, sure you are aware of most.

6. Bleu

Does the writer understand

the difference between tic and tick?

Apparently not.

Shame on the Reg.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Does the writer understand

Well, the atoms are vibrating, and I suppose you could say that each tick of the clock is a tic of an atom...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like