back to article Vodafone: So what exactly is 'ludicrous' about the Frontier report?

Vodafone has struck back at BT’s claim that the Frontier Economics report on Openreach’s apparent profiteering is “ludicrous”, with Matthew Braovac, Vodafone's head of competition and regulatory affairs, writing to his BT opposite number asking for a justification of the claims. “Far from being ludicrous, the report is based …

1. Graham Marsden
    Devil

Hello, Mr Kettle...

... Mr Pot calling...

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Hello, Mr Kettle...

Isn't it about time someone conducted a similar analysis on Vodafone...

1. Tom 38

Re: Hello, Mr Kettle...

Isn't it about time someone conducted a similar analysis on Vodafone

No?

The report is talking about how BTO, which is an entity created to provide "market prices" for fixed line services to both other providers and BT, is gouging the other providers to create a higher profit for BT group than Ofcom had provisioned them to do on their level of investment*.

Vodafone doesn't have an equivalent unit, so what would you be analysing? Is this just "OMG VODERFONE IZ EVIL CUZ TAX?"

* BT invest in BTO, Ofcom allow BTO to make a profit because of the investment. The report in question says that BTO should only have made £11bn when they made £16bn, and that they are ripping off the other providers, whilst BT say that the numbers in the report are incorrect.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Hello, Mr Kettle... @Tom 38

The key point is as you note "market prices".

I suggest that any one looking at Vodafone in a similar way might discover what Vodafone's margins are...

I had a FT100 client once who complained about our prices, until we said okay we will go open book on the condition that our margin on the contract is the same as the margin your company publishes in their annual report each year - it did the trick they accepted our prices without any further question because they had just declared a 30% net margin...

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Irony...

There is a wonderful irony in communications companies failing to communicate.

Those of us who work with BT on a daily basis can point out that BT doesn't even talk to BT, let alone anyone else.

1. tin 2

Re: Irony...

Agree, I dunno where people get the idea that Openreach is not seperate enough from BT, every bit of BT operates as if entirely seperate to every other bit of BT.

But to the point, the least qualified people to talk about the structure/pricing/competance of BT ARE OTHER COMMUNICATIONS COMPANIES.Their opinion should be considered entirely null and void before it's even voiced.

3. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

BT, my least favourite supplier*.

Some years ago BT got umpteen million quid to install broadband in Scotland's rural areas. They fitted the stupidly named "Exchange Activate" equipment which supplied a 512k connection. I kept checking with SamKnows and eventually we got ADSL+. Not only did BT not tell it's customers but also failed to inform my ISP who rent from BT Wholesale. BT were earning more money from the 512k package than what they could charge for the faster connection!

Only after I had informed my ISP did I get a speed increase to 4meg. I also rang my neighbours who were oblivious to the available but hidden improvement.

*Did I mention Phorm?

4. zaax

BT openreach is a monopoly in most areas and therefore should be removed from BT and be turned in to a not for profit company.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Virgin's network reaches more than half the UK, so Openreach can't have a monopoly in 'most' of it.

The problem with not for profit companies, in a business context, is that they can't raise the money they need to invest. Investors only lend companies money to build stuff on the expectation or at least hope that they'll make a profit. No profit, no investment. If you make a company not for profit you're actually better of nationalising it - as with Network Rail / Railtrack.

5. An0n C0w4rd

Not entirely sure OpenReach as part of BT is the problem

There is little incentive to lay competing cable to reach consumers in the UK. The logical choice would be cable companies, but despite a large number of cable companies springing up in the UK during my lifetime, Sky drove most of them out of business, and the few that remained went to Virgin Media which hasn't really done much to invest in reaching more homes.

A large factor in that is the cost of laying cables, because that involves digging up streets to put in new ducting.

Perhaps separating ducting from the rest of the infrastructure would help so companies can rent/buy duct access to run their own cable if they wanted to, thereby providing true competition for the last mile instead of just letting OpenReach dictate what the UK should be offered.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not entirely sure OpenReach as part of BT is the problem

"Perhaps separating ducting from the rest of the infrastructure would help so companies can rent/buy duct access to run their own cable if they wanted to, "

I think that exists - I remember reading about Virgin and others being able to rent duct and pole space for their own cables.

6. Measurer
    Pint

Two words....

Hollow curbstones

End

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two (more) words....

accident, fiber-cut

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two words....

"Hollow curbstones"

I see where you're going but - people hit them with their cars and park on them all the time and you'd need to close off one side of the road to work safely on them. How would you cross roads? You'd also still have the cost to get from pavement to front door.

How do you run in a new cable when someone's parked a range rover on the stone you need access to?

Might have legs - needs more work!

3. briesmith

Re: Two words....

it's "kerb" ffs. With or without hollows.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Openreach IS separate from all other parts of BT. As someone has already pointed out - all the different BT business units are run entirely separately.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"all the different BT business units are run entirely separately"

I smell fish... carp

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its entirely separate if I can buy shares in it separately to the bt shares I can buy.

Can I ?

If I could then the carriers like Vodafone et al. Could be allowed to buy up to 2 percent each too (allowing for others to enter the market). Then they could influence it as owners, and share in the profits they themselves help generate by using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If I could then the carriers like Vodafone et al. Could be allowed to buy up to 2 percent each too (allowing for others to enter the market). Then they could influence it as owners, and share in the profits they themselves help generate by using it."

I think the arrangement you describe - a combined monopoly and cartel - is illegal in the UK.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Its entirely separate if I can buy shares in it separately to the bt shares I can buy.

Can I ?"

No.

You could if the New Zealand model was followed - and remember the NZ model was picked specifically because the BTOR model being proposed by the incumbent telco there was studied here and discovered to be massively abused by BT to maintain its monopoly.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"all the different BT business units are run entirely separately."

With the dead hands of BT HQ seeing across all companies and pulling the strings as it sees fit to maximise its profit.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When it suits BT...

When it suits BT: BT and OpenReach are one company - for example when BT tries to sell you Broadband and they are spelling out the advantages of dealing with them rather than a competitor it is implicit within their sales pitch that you are dealing with one company, rather than two. When there's a fault then it is two separate companies.

9. David Roberts

Poles!

Just put poles in the pavement then let anyone string wire/fibres between them!

Solves all the problems about digging up roads, trenches, ducting, crossing roads etc.

I'm amazed nobody has thought of this.

10. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Separation"

"In the last review, Ofcom stipulated that Openreach should be run as a separate organisation to the rest of BT. Vodafone, Sky and TalkTalk have lobbied for a more complete separation of the two organisations"

It should be borne in mind that after studying the studying the UK market and the overall effects of BT separating (but not divesting) Openreach, New Zealand regulators recommended that the line side part of Telecom NZ be completely cleaved off into a separate company in order to prevent the incumbent from further anti-competitve activity, as BT was observed to be doing.(*)

Telecom NZ was so keen to adopt the BT/Openreach model that it had already rearranged itself along those lines(**) and was pushing the regulator quite hard to accept the new status quo. That alone was suspicious for a company which had run a 25+ year abusive monopoly on line supply....

(*) retail/wholesale/isp sides may not talk much between each other, but head office looks over all the walls and operates the puppet strings. What BT pulled in Ewhurst in order to gazump competition wasn't uncommon activity at all and is still happening in various parts of the UK - see http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=1893

(**)TCNZ renamed itself "Spark" and the lineside division "Chorus".

11. Paul

that BTOR decided to can FTTPoD because it was inconvenient, even after jacking up the price massively, suggests something is badly wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like