back to article WinPhone? PAH! If you want Microsoft's mobe apps, grab an Android

Microsoft, still struggling to gain a foothold in the smartphone market, is pressing to have its software bundled on Android devices from major manufacturers, with Samsung as its first partner. We first heard murmurings about Sammy's deal with Microsoft at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, earlier this month. "We'll have …

1. hoverboy

Why not? There's much worse stuff gets bundled on phones. OneNote is pretty useful and Skype has its uses too.

1. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

Irony for those of us with long memories

DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run....

Take control of the Android manufacturers and...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Irony for those of us with long memories

"Take control of the Android manufacturers and..."

Replace Android with a less laggy, less bloated and more secure and efficient OS like Windows Phone?

2. Kernel

Here's an original thought for Samsung

Why not ship Android devices with no unwanted bloatware installed and let the new owner decide what they might want and/or need on their device.

1. present_arms

Re: Here's an original thought for Samsung

Amen to that :) all that's really needed is Contacts, Phone, Messaging (SMS, MMS) and googles play store, let me decide what I want on it, instead of having to go through the rooting process to get the crap out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here's an original thought for Samsung

Because just like bloatware installed on PCs, the OEM is getting compensated in some way. When you're in a commodity market like the PC market is and the Android market is rapidly becoming, the margins are cutthroat so you do stuff like this to lower the price. If you don't like it, choose the models that install only base Android like Nexus, or root it and install your own (the equivalent of wiping the Dell laptop you bought and installing Windows 7 on it yourself)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DougS - Re: Here's an original thought for Samsung

I was with you until the last possible moment. As far as I know you don't have to root your Dell laptop, at least not yet. Besides that, wiping Windows to install Windows, why bother ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Post Windows world

Perhaps Microsoft is actually planning for it. A pragmatic decision to run its mobile software on Android and run Windows 10 on the desktop would reduce development costs, retain end user mindshare, and let the market decide on the mobile UI. It doesn't really matter at this point whether Winphone is any good, it is a small minority platform for mobile apps with the same problem as BlackBerry. On the other hand, extend, embrace, extinguish...put the effort into doing better than Google services and the old Microsoft is back in the driving seat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Arnaut the less - Re: Post Windows world

Microsoft back in the driving seat ....shudder, can we opt out of this, please?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Arnaut the less - Post Windows world

"Microsoft back in the driving seat ....shudder, can we opt out of this, please?"

That's better than Google in the driving seat though...

4. Grivas Bo Diddly Harm

Microsoft Account

We're trialling O_365 on various devices at work, and allowing people to try BYOD. An issue that's arisen is that OneNote is not formally, and for licensing purposes, part of the MS Office suite. For MS and Apple OSs this wasn't an issue - users could download it and login with their work-supplied username and password, but for Android devices only OneNote insisted on a Microsoft account iD.

For some people this wasn't a problem, but others didn't see why they should have to create an MS account for work's sake; another chance for users' credentials to be hacked and leaked, as one person put it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no more room

For anymore nails in Windows phone coffin...

Microsoft really are scraping the barrel now. They deserve everything they get. Karma

6. Arachnoid

Windows Phone devices, where the apps are arguably better integrated.

Bo*****s if its designed and installed properly then the operating system has little to do with poor integration.

As to integrating MS software it brings back shades of Blackberrys failed attempts to buy into a busy market place.

7. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Removable?

I'm quite happy for these apps to be bundled with phones. However they must be removable should the user not want them: foisting unwanted, unremovable crap (crap: as in unwanted apps) on a device is simply not acceptable.

8. Hellcat

When I had an adroid...

I would have quite liked the option to have these apps or not providing they can be uninstalled. As it probably made the device a little cheaper since the manufacturer is getting paid to include them, then that's not a bad thing. Lots of companies pay to have their apps installed in the base build wether its phones, tablets, PCs or even some servers. That's just part of life and not a big issue unless there is no way to remove them.

As for the apps being available at all - good on MS I say. Ecosystem tie-in has been getting more rampant recently. Seeing at least one of the big players being more cross-platform is a refreshing change - even more so given who it is and their history! Maybe I'll buy a HUDL2 now?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like