back to article Backing up cloud applications is never easy but Asigra gets it done

As the recent Code Spaces debacle has taught us, just because you use cloud computing doesn't mean you can't properly engineer your IT design. A huge part of that is having proper backups that are set up on separate providers with different administrative credentials. Asigra is a data protection company that claims it can …

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Backup is not what I think of when I hear Data Protection

I'm not sure whether Canada uses different terminology, but to me, Data Protection means making sure that data is not revealed where it is not meant, and that the data retained is appropriate to the reasons for which it is being kept, and correct.

This is the opening paragraph of Wikipedia on "Information Management".

Information privacy, or data privacy (or data protection), is the relationship between collection and dissemination of data, technology, the public expectation of privacy, and the legal and political issues surrounding them.

And UK and EU legislation for "Data Protection" is all about this.

Still, this isn't a UK centric news site, is it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Backup is not what I think of when I hear Data Protection

You're right, but to people who do nothing but cp all day long, the have to come up with other ways to describe their similar thoughts. Sometimes they're too zoomed in to see that a small script could replace an entire cost.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Backup is not what I think of when I hear Data Protection

The last time I wandered around that sector of IT, what you're specifying was called "Data Loss Prevention." Keeping track of terminology is great fun, especially when Microsoft is involved. Then you need a IT-industry to Microsoft-Marketing translator. Forget going from MS to IT; you need LSD to make that transition. (Sure to get down votes, exactly the same from non-MS C++ to Java, also with no backward path without resorting to brain-rewriting-LSD. Pffftp!)

2. Jim 59

Ahem...

" and SANs and clouds and lion and tiger and bears."

1. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
      Windows

Re: Ahem...

Just my two centimes worth, while doing a comparison between cloud backup apps, I came across one called Druva which I found rather good.

However, their requirement was not cloud-to-cloud backup or VM backup, it was a need to backup multiple (1000s) of untethered, permanently travelling laptops to a cloud server. Since these users never went "home" to a server, they could never backup their laptop data to a centralized, secured location.

Individual backup to other media was not an option, for obvious reasons.

Druva could also back up Mac, Linux and Windows systems, another requirement. They had friendly, supportive staff. Basically did what it said on the tin and was written by people who understood RPOs and RTOs.

IMHO, Druva fit the bill quite nicely, even if the customer didn't choose it in the end.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like