back to article There's gold in dem hills: 1000s of two-byte domains hit market

More than 20,000 rare two-character domain names have been put onto the open market today by domain registry Rightside. The company has the rights to sell domains under 38 different endings, including .lawyer, .rocks, .band, .social and .ninja, with just over 30 of them live. Having received permission from domain name …

1. J__M__M

I wonder if fu.ipv6iseasiertoremember is available.

2. Ole Juul

Gotta admit

It's hard to come up with anything intelligent to say about this.

3. Lee D Silver badge

A1.lawyer - yeah, there's a guy that I'd trust to handle my legal affairs.

Vanity plates for marketers, in effect.

I never understood why my former employer ever bought the .info, .mobi etc. of their domain anyway - they never had a site on them in all my time there and the main website was mobile compatible anyway.

Sad, really, that it's possible to make money by selling arbitrary strings, in effect.

1. Yag

Cybersquatting avoidance probably. Or at least this was suggested by the seller.

1. Lee D Silver badge

The domain name was:

localtownlocaldistricttypeofschool (.mobi, .info, .whatever).

If someone cyber-squats on TLD's like that, it'd only take a second to kick them out as "passing off".

But, no, the alternative is to buy EVERY POSSIBLE TLD? Sod that. We gave up after two and just made it clear which one was us.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no.interest

5. Emo

el.reg?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a.ninja and anti.social are still available... though only as premium names. :(

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon