back to article Elon Musk insists Gigafactory's ALL GO as China charging fears hit Tesla shares

Tesla Motors is downsizing its Chinese operations, following its failure to meet expected sales targets. Chinese Tesla spokesman Gary Tao has been quoted confirming that Tesla was making "structural changes" to its business in China "to better respond to the Chinese market." A Tesla representative told The Register today that …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

China

Eight hour traffic jams with the air conditioning on?

How long is your extension cord?

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

Re: China

Have you done the sums? You could run a domestic 3kW air conditioning unit at 100% continuously from the Tesla battery for 28 hours. In practice you'd get longer than that as it won't run at 100% continuously and you don't need a 3kW plant for a cabin the size of a car.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Electric cars are great for traffic jams because they aren't wasting energy (aside from the AC) or spewing noxious fumes out the back. Granted, the electricity to power them will spew noxious fumes, but large power plants are more than twice as efficient as automobile engines, and it is a lot easier and cheaper to contain/control the pollution at a few thousand large sources versus tens of millions of small ones.

If all the cars in a traffic jam were electric you wouldn't need the AC at all a lot of the time, because you could just open your windows!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, and China is well known for their clean and green electricity supply.

LOL

2. Pen-y-gors

Hurry, hurry, hurry...

Gigafactory up and running and producing lots of Li-ion batteries in 2020? Better hurry up:

Interesting article on physorg last week...

Na-ion batteries get closer to replacing Li-ion batteries

1. Weapon

Re: Hurry, hurry, hurry...

The gigafactory will be up and running in 2016. By 2020 it will hit full production. I also would not be worried about any technology replacing lithium ion within the next decade or 2.

3. Howard Hanek

Those Old Structural Changes

In the spirit of their illustrious ancestor, Ghengis Kahn, China is forcing some 'structural changes' upon Tesla.

1. Calleb III

Re: Those Old Structural Changes

Ghengis Kahn was Mongolian, not Chinese...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its all going like clockwork

Maybe a big key sticking out of the top of the car might be a better solution?

5. imanidiot Silver badge

Model X delays are not going to help Tesla in the long run. They had a spat of goodwill running with them once the model S turned out to be a decent car, but if they wait too long to release the next big attention getting "look at me being green' vehicle on the market people might have moved on already. I highly doubt Tesla is going to meet even half its intended output in 2020.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Model X

Model X delays are not going to help Tesla in the long run. They had a spat of goodwill running with them once the model S turned out to be a decent car...

Yeah, plus I really, really want one... and will probably continue to want after they are available given the expected price. If they can get this one out the door, though, they will almost certainly have good sales given America's love of bigger vehicles.

1. Hairy Spod

Re: Model X

I couldnt give a flying about the S or X, its the every mans E that they seem to have gone quiet about that I want.

My leaf meets 99% of my needs and a genuine 150-200 miles would make that 100%.

1. Weapon

Re: Model X

They haven't gotten quite about the Model 3. They released a bit of info just a month or 2 ago about it. The Model 3 will be unveiled in 2016 and on sale in 2017.

2. Weapon

The biggest delay on the Model X has been due to overwhelming demand on the Model S. During this time they are refining the Model X.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PT Barnum would be proud

There is more than one sucker born every second.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like