back to article Complicit Kiwis sniffed Pacific comms says Snowden

New Zealand snooped on friendly Pacific island nations' communications to hand the haul to the NSA, according to the latest nugget to pop out of Edward Snowden's PR machine. Snowden newsletter The Intercept has shared its latest drop with the New Zealand Herald, saying in 2009 the country's Government Communications Security …

1. Mark 85
    Unhappy

Are we surprised by this...

Not anymore.... and the hits just keep on coming.

1. Adam 1

Re: Are we surprised by this...

I, for one, an surprised by this. I mean why would they be worried about losing SIG INT when they plug the other end into Hawaii?

2. OzBob

You should read the mainstream news articles

they are filled with ass-covering words like "possibly", "potentially", "might have".

The loonie left here are pointing at vague statements and screaming "conspiracy!". Big yawn all around.

1. Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen - he was #1!

Re: You should read the mainstream news articles

and the righteous Right bury their heads in the sand and believe it when Daddy says it's OK, not to worry.

Oh for some informed debate on this.

1. OzBob

PM me when you get better informed then.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Or you should watch the giggle-show known as "Breakfast" on TVNZ1. Even they got it right this morning: their security consultant said "This surprises nobody in the [SIGINT] business, and there's more to come" and their Pacific Islands correspondent said (in ladylike terms) "This is going to piss off the Pacific Islands." Nobody suggested that the story was inaccurate, except the PM who said it was inaccurate before it came out. Well, if he knew that before it came out, presumably that could only be because GCSB grabbed it and showed it to him, but that would be illegal, so either he was fibbing or he knew that GCSB was breaking the law again...

1. Mitoo Bobsworth

"Nobody suggested that the story was inaccurate, except the PM who said it was inaccurate before it came out"

So, in politicalspeak, I think that means the story is on the money - thanks for that confirmation, Mr Key.

2. Rampant Spaniel

And nobody in their right mind wants to be on the other end of some upset Tongans and Samoans! Get Sasa!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Well the good news for Kiwi spooks is....

That the new Samoan fiber-optic cable terminates in Hawaii, where the NSA has a big operation and probably hoovers up everything that makes landfall anyway.

(And anyway, about the most threatening thing that comes out of Samoa are the crop of NFL linemen and linebackers.)

1. Mark 85

Re: Well the good news for Kiwi spooks is....

Hmm.. that and "enforcers" in the gang world.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Well the good news for Kiwi spooks is....

"And anyway, about the most threatening thing that comes out of Samoa are the crop of NFL linemen and linebackers."

They've contributed a few members to the All Blacks as well. Maybe the whole purpose of this operation was to poach all the sporting talent from the islands before they went off to the states to play hand egg?

(My first boss was Samoan, lovely guy, but he could look bloody scary if he wanted to)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the domes?

Are they trying to keep where the dishes are pointed a secret?

1. Eddy Ito
      Joke

Re: Why the domes?

Let's analyze it, a bunch of isolated hard up spooks have a pair of giant orbs and no spire. Seems pretty clear, they have visions of motor-boating grandeur.

5. Mark Exclamation

Go away Snowden....

You are getting so boring Mr Snowden. Obviously you have an ego the size of a planet. Initially, you just wanted to inform people. You succeeded in that. Now all you want to do is destroy countries' relationships, while stoking your own ego. Funny how we don't hear anything about your host country's activities! I can't think why....

Mr Snowden, I think it is now safe for you to return home. Please go soon. Yawn!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon