back to article If in doubt, blow $4bn: IBM says it will fatten up on cloud, mobile, Big Data cake by 2018

IBM is betting billions that it can claw its way back to growth by focusing on what it calls its "strategic imperatives," including cloud, data analytics, mobility, social networking, and security. During Big Blue's annual meeting with financial analysts on Thursday, CFO Martin Schroeter said IBM plans to shift $4bn of …

1. Ian Easson

IBM has been trying to get back to relevance for years

Most recently, the latest buzzwords.. The Cloud, Big Data, Analytics, and so on.

Maybe they will succeed. Maybe they won't.

But judged by their track record of the last few decades, they won't.

Just my opinion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they're not planning on getting any of that revenue from their current SO customers, who feel abandoned and see IBM as slow, bureaucratic, arrogant and untrustworthy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not just SO. Most people who buy IBM nowadays who want some sort of support for what they've bought have found that when they ask, the response is generally, we don't have anyone. Most of them have left the company and those who haven't left are waiting for the next round of lay-offs.

When IBM buys a company, most of the people who get brought in leave within a year, as they realise how crap it is to work for IBM. So the product gets neglected because nobody knows how it works.

3. admiraljkb

Without the server biz, I think they are about to find it even harder to turn things around. They need to get an advertising budget around their cloud crap, because nobody I'm around knows anything about it. I just get blank stares followed by an immediate "when did IBM get into cloud?" when I mention they have a cloud product.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like