back to article Fifteen zero days found in hacker router comp romp

Researchers have unveiled 15 zero day vulnerabilities in four home and small business routers as part of the SOHOpelessly Broken hacker competition in DEF CON this week. Four of the 10 routers offered for attack including the ASUS RT-AC66U; Netgear Centria WNDR4700; Belkin N900, and TRENDnet TEW-812DRU were fully compromised …

1. brooxta

IOW be afraid, be very afraid

So presumably this doesn't necessarily mean that every domestic router is pwned, but certainly that just about anyone can be.

2. out_the_back

So which was which?

In the article you say....

The Linksys EA6500; Netgear WNR3500U/WNR3500L; TP-Link TL-WR1043ND; D-Link DIR-865L, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Open Wireless Router firmware were either untested or emerged unscathed.

But which was which? It's a very important distinction between not tested and tested but survived.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That all?

looks like they only let amateurs in this year...

4. ForthIsNotDead

BT Home Hub? Sky's Router?

In the UK these two particular routers must easily have the lions share of the market. Were they tested? If not, why not? I appreciate they are UK only, but there must be millions of 'em out there. If they ownable, we should (and the manufacturers) should know.

1. CaptainBanjax

Re: BT Home Hub? Sky's Router?

Its not the homehub that needs to be investigated. Its the mysterious white box you get with infinity that should be looked at. Ive had a crack and there is a web interface on it. The honehub itself is actually preconfigured to trust everything from that box and itballows certain traffic through...for diagnostics you understand.

5. Woodnag

What about OpenWRT and DDWRT?

Any reports on those images?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joke Alert!

The D-link sometimes can't be accessed even by the owner with admin password and hardwired ethernet port, let alone by the wan access!

I had to needle-reset mine more than once because of this. But it was not the 865L.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Joke Alert!

Joke? I've seen this more than once. I'm beginning to think it's a deliberate design feature.

2. Down not across

Re: Joke Alert!

The D-link sometimes can't be accessed even by the owner with admin password and hardwired ethernet port, let alone by the wan access!

I had to needle-reset mine more than once because of this. But it was not the 865L.

I had couple D-Link APs/routers once upon a time (DWL-2100 or something along those lines) and they definitely had a habit of locking up after a while. Likewise they went through PSUs like mad. Come to think of it had some D-Link hubs/switches which also suffered from PSU issues. More than once had to have it replaced under warranty.

Do D-Links have PSUs that last longer than 9-12 months now?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Perusing the changelogs to find security issues

"Many firmware versions were published between these two releases, we can review the changelogs to find security issues": ref

8. Truth4u
    Big Brother

Why would you want your router to be secure?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like