back to article LinkedIn values your privacy at ONE WHOLE LOUSY DOLLAR

LinkedIn, which leaked millions of passwords in 2012, has settled the class action that followed its egregious error. The original leak was made to a Russian doc-drop site, and it quickly emerged that the recruitment site social network for business wasn't salting the passwords it hashed before storing them in its database, …

1. The FunkeyGibbon

Once again

This shows how little some companies think of the people who's data makes up the meat of their business. If they had been robbed of access to actual physical items the furior would have been greater but because it was 'just' data there appears to be less concern about the seriousness of the breach.

1. The Crow From Below

Re: Once again

It shows more how worthless and pointless class action law suites are, unless you are a lawyer.

2. DrXym

Re: Once again

This is LinkedIn you're talking about here.

It started off as a neat thing to keep track of people you worked with or went to school with. Then it was monetized and now it's just a cattle market. You're the cattle to be poked, prodded and inspected by anyone who pays LinkedIn to look at your info. Job agents, sales people, you name it.

I'm plagued by job agents to the extent I've unlinked the lot of them and restricted my privacy settings as much as I can. They think nothing of doing a skill search and indiscriminately spamming everyone who matches. The same job might result in multiple spams, none of which I've solicited. At least by unlinking they have to use one of their precious InMails if they want to contact me.

2. GregC

recruitment site social network for business annoying source of unwanted email.

Small correction, purely from my point of view...

3. BongoJoe

Right, time to cancel that account.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LinkedOut?

I only have an account (filled with crap data) so that I can look at the profiles of people who send us CV's.

Even though the data is 10000000% madeup I still get emails from them about people you may know.

Yeah right!

I think it is time as has been said to delete that account and say bye-bye to them once and for all.

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

Re: LinkedOut?

"an account (filled with crap data)"

So its much like the majority of the 'genuine' accounts of colleagues that I have seen, with profiles filled out with exaggeration and lies.

5. alain williams Silver badge

Why bother to be secure ?

It is not worth the effort.

The main purpose should have been to make Linkedin take security more seriously so that this did not happen again. But the ''fine'' was a rounding error when compared to its turnover, so small that it will only figure as a footnote to a footnote in their annual report.

Only once we start to see the penalties for crap security actually hurt will we see real improvement.

1. fearnothing

Re: Why bother to be secure ?

"Once we start to see the penalties for crap security actually hurt we will see the cost merrily passed along to the customer." - FTFY.

6. Bob Vistakin
    Terminator

Linked In: "Where resumes go to die"

A high profile Google employee said that to me at a conf last year - off the record in a bar - but I thought it fascinating to see what these big data companies thought of each others antics. I somehow managed to resist any smart ass quips about it dodging the tumbleweeds of Google+ on its way there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's why I have not updated LinkedIn for quite some time

LinkedIn is a very dangerous data leak for anyone who works with even the smallest degree of confidentiality - you should, for instance, avoid linking to clients. Judging by LinkedIn's recommendations of people I ought to network with, not only does it retain data you delete but it also acquires data from somewhere else (probably an aggregator).

Add to that that it operates in a nation with not that much respect for privacy and I think it's worth avoiding altogether. I haven't updated my data in ages there (the profile is deliberately pretty bare now).

8. Gannon (J.) Dick

You've had your fun ...

In English Courts the suit may have yielded as much as Pound per person ($1.546).

We're sending the Lawyers to Merry Old next. We suggest you turn out the lights and act sparsely inhabited.

The Merkins

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like