back to article Microsoft leaves the Rooms. How will Windows Phone OS users make to do lists?

Microsoft is axing a much-loved feature of its Windows Phone OS, Rooms, at short notice. An email sent to users yesterday announced that support is ending next month – long before functionally equivalent replacements are in place. Rooms was introduced with Windows Phone 8 in 2012, and allowed users to chat, share calendars, …

1. ratfox
    Windows

Funny how a feature which would be a very successful product for a start-up, worthy of being valued millions or billions, turns into an also-ran product faced to the global strategy of a big corporation.

Not that Microsoft is alone in doing these types of decision. Apple and Google have both been known to sacrifice products more successful than Rooms to make place for an upcoming great idea.

1. joeW

Re: "a feature which would be a very successful product for a start-up"

Would there be any real barrier to MS spinning off the functionality to a stand-alone app, maybe handing it over to the community as open source? Seems like that would be a win/win for all concerned.

2. Planty Bronze badge

poor persons Hangouts

By the sound of it. Given windows phone market share has fallen back to 2%, possibly even further by now, empty rooms would have more accurate branding

1. Michael Thibault

Re: poor persons [sic] Hangouts

>empty rooms would have [been] more accurate branding

"Abandoned Buildings" to follow?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"How will Windows Phone OS users make to do lists? "

Use OneNote.

2. RyokuMas
    Stop

You put the feature in...

... you take a feature out, in-out-in-out, and muck us all about...

Once again, not doing yourself any favours, Microsoft!

3. Hellcat

Didn't even know it was there, but have a group for my family contatcs should I want to sent a text or other message to them all.

I guess I won't miss what I didn't know.

1. Siv

I am the same, I have used Windows phone since that feature was added and never felt the need to use it, I suspect neither have all the other users hence why MS is killing it off. I think us Brits are more reserved than the Yanks who seem to like to share every f@cking moment of their lives. I'd rather not waste time posting things to my family on my phone I can just walk into the front room and tell them in person!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

shame

its a really good feature

5. Paul Shirley

the Verge nailed it

I think the Verge has it right, being Winphone only is a fatal flaw for any social application. Not fitting the new MS vision of getting their cloudy offerings onto other platforms signed it's death warrant, why try to port it and it's unlovely interface when they have Skype already ported and plans to make it a jack of all trades trojan.

...just a pity my hate for Skype is increasing with every update Microsoft makes. I really didn't need the advertising, or it firing up the browser when it thinks I *really* need to see one.

1. P. Lee
      Happy

Re: the Verge nailed it

>...just a pity my hate for Skype is increasing with every update Microsoft makes. I really didn't need the advertising

Run Linux. The Linux version of Skype has no advertising.

Actually for work, I tend to do both. I run a Linux base OS with a Windows VM.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: the Verge nailed it

"The Linux version of Skype has no advertising."

Because it has no users.

6. Tim Wolfe-Barry

Anyone else reading Cloud-o-bile my way

I mean, presumably, they want you to say "cloudobile" as one word, but the pirate in me hears Cloud o' Bile! Me heartys etc etc - too much Monkey Island at an impressionable age I fear...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Anyone else reading Cloud-o-bile my way

Arr, t'is the true way!

[closest icon to a flagon of rum]

7. PaulR79

"Cloud-o-bile"

Oh I bet there's plenty of bile to go around in users who liked the feature. I never used it but clearly others did and Microsoft are being their usual "we know best" selves like they were with Windows 8. The difference here is they don't have much of the market to lose.

8. Bob Vistakin
    Holmes

Google just ditched GTalk too

Hey you never know, perhaps Skype and Hangouts will become one? Hmm, thought not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like