back to article Who'd be Target's infosec chief? Tesco CIO joins hack-battered firm

UK retail giant Tesco has lost its veteran CIO to Target, whose IT chief is stepping down after just a year. Tesco’s Mike McNamara is taking charge of Target’s IT operations at 1,790 retail stores, 37 distribution centers, global development and online. He replaces Bob DeRodes, hired in spring 2014 after US retailer Target …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well there's a new reason never to shop at Target. He may have "modernised and advanced Tesco's IT" with things like "scan-as-you-shop" but that just proves he knows fuck all about Information Security.

Clubcard is so full of holes it's untrue (Google "Tesco Troy Hunt"), and all the PCs in store have the same password. OK, it varies from store to store. Its the store number. Which is printed on the receipt! Now I'll agree he didn't configure them personally. But he set the IT Security Policy (which is available online at https://zone.ocset.net)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hey Asda do this as well.... Must be something about supermarkets

2. Electric Panda
    Pint

Scan-as-you-shop was heralded as the future and some kind of amazing revolution when it came to Tesco. Interesingly, it appeared I'm the only person who remembers using Sainsbury's near-identical Self Scan offering back in... wait for it... 1999. Oh well, every little helps and all that. The fact that Target's previous bod took retirement after just one year probably speaks volumes for the mess Target's systems are in.

Back on topic: I haven't tried for myself, but am reliably informed that Tesco are a plain text offender.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Priceless

During his time at Tesco he presided over some epic security fails........... just goes to show that when you are at the top of tree, you get rewarded for failure just as much as success.

4. Mike VandeVelde

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like